Pete Carroll Doesn't Anticipate Coaching Changes

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Pete just doesn't get it and won't change his ways which means he needs to be fired. He should have been gone after SB INT vs Pats. Carroll has done nothing but cost Hawks in big games. This team hasn't been the same since SB INT and that's a proven fact with 4 straight divisional losses. Ask Lynch, Sherman, Bennett about SB INT. Pete sucks up to Beast Mode bringing him back for PR.

Most of this fan base and Seattle media especially that little fella Aaron Levine kisses Pete's ass. How anyone can take Carroll seriously after SB Int is beyond me. His phony Rah Rah act is so old and yesterday.

Since Hawks lost Super Bowl vs New England this team has been mediocre at best.

Everyone crying for Norton to be fired well Pete brought him back so he should be fired right along with him on that alone.

https://www.12up.com/posts/pete-carroll ... dygw53n89k

The Seattle Seahawks are still wildly confident heading into the NFL offseason following their second-round defeat at the hands of the Green Bay Packers this past Sunday. While several other teams in the league are completely jumping ship and have undergone extreme makeover processes for their coaching staffs, Seattle reportedly has no plans to make changes.

When asked about potential changes to his staff, Pete Carroll's response was simple and blunt: "nothing to talk about."

Pete Carroll said he doesn't anticipate any changes to the #Seahawks coaching staff, at least not yet.

"Nothing to talk about," Carroll said.
— Joe Fann (@Joe_Fann) January 13, 2020

So either there really are no transitional moves in the works for the Hawks, or Carroll's keeping one heck of a poker face on in lieu of a desired secretive coaching shift.

While indications point to the former, Carroll made a similar statement heading into the offseason before firing both Tom Cable and Darrell Bevel just a few years earlier.

Once Bevell departed from the team in 2017, new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer arrived and immediately became a formidable pairing with Carroll, effectively opening up Seattle's passing airways for an MVP-caliber season for quarterback Russell Wilson. Wilson threw for 4,110 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2019, while the 'Hawks passing attack was third-best in the NFL.

View this post on Instagram

The play that sent the @packers to the NFC Championship. #SEAvsGB #NFLPlayoffs

A post shared by NFL (@nfl) on Jan 12, 2020 at 7:00pm PST

Many called for the firing of defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. after Green Bay's bludgeoning of their secondary Sunday night, especially after he chose not to rush defensive end Jadeveon Clowney on a deciding third-and-nine that gave Aaron Rodgers enough time to complete a first down hook-up with Jimmy Graham. His defense, though, was ranked fourth-best all season in terms of total yards given up before the playoffs.

Both men, along with the remaining staff members are safe according to Carroll. History, though, may prove otherwise, and it could be Carroll himself whose job is in the most danger up north.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Many called for the firing of defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. after Green Bay's bludgeoning of their secondary Sunday night, especially after he chose not to rush defensive end Jadeveon Clowney on a deciding third-and-nine that gave Aaron Rodgers enough time to complete a first down hook-up with Jimmy Graham.
This alone should be the single offense that fires Norton. Your best defensive lineman and rusher and you make him drop back to defend against the pass, and the entire game he's chased after Erin and knocked him around. That is the single dumbest decision for a defensive coach. Period.

All that being said Norton isn't going anywhere.

James in PA

Reaction score
I watched his season ending press conference and when he said “nothing to talk about,” he sort of hesitated just before he said it. I personally took it as there COULD be a change and he wasn’t trying to give away too much. Why not just say “no” without hesitation if he planned on keeping everyone on? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be open to Richard coming back in as a DB coach for us, he is dead nuts on in teaching guys.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I've been trying to find stats on Buckner. I know he had the one year with the Raiders and vastly improved their D-Line play and that people were pretty shocked that Gruden up and fired him. One hit wonder or does he have consistency as a coach?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I doubt PC fires any assistant coaches now. His greatest strength is loyalty, his biggest weakness is loyalty.
He had to have his arm twisted by those above to jettison Cable and Bevell. Our best hope is under performing assistant coaches get hired for a head coaching position.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Petes gonna be Pete...too old to change, too successful to change. He believes that his way gives him the best chance to win and he's always brought in coordinators who are essentially yes men and as long as they play his ball they'll stay.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think it's about change although as I said with Richard unemployed would throw an offer at him to come back and work with the DB'S.

I would like Pete to look at his approach, he doesn't have to change his philosophy as much as his mentality about the offense in the first half, let them run and get a lead and keep it coming, since the GB game, Wilson and Griffin have both said they want or we need to start faster. This is a rare separation from team speak by Wilson aside from being Pissed off that he was given a piss test and another test while they were cleaning out their lockers after the loss.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3tdmpnmf said:
I don't think it's about change although as I said with Richard unemployed would throw an offer at him to come back and work with the DB'S.

I would like Pete to look at his approach, he doesn't have to change his philosophy as much as his mentality about the offense in the first half, let them run and get a lead and keep it coming, since the GB game, Wilson and Griffin have both said they want or we need to start faster. This is a rare separation from team speak by Wilson aside from being Pissed off that he was given a piss test and another test while they were cleaning out their lockers after the loss.
Wow..
I have been waiting forever for RW to be the man when it comes
to PC and this is what I meant..Speak up and force the change.
It never had to be a lot but that first half crap is what I think we
all totally agree on...

endzorn

Reaction score
I would like to see him bring in an offensive coordinator who wants to run more. I think we got away from it too much.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Nobody remembers the '90s around here. Sure, just fire the most successful coach in team history and get a new one! Hell, they grow on trees, you can find them everywhere at a dime-a-dozen!

One thing to remember about things like Norton's failure to rush Clowney at the end, is that as long as he truly faces facts he will improve. It's a long-standing maxim in auto racing that if a pit crew member screws up and forgets to tighten the lug nuts or something, you don't fire him. You pretty much *know* that particular guy will never do that again. Now if he keeps doing the same thing then he's gone. Meanwhile, if you fire him at the first screwup then the next one may make the same mistake, and firing the offender actually made things worse not better.

As long as Norton faces facts and owns his screwup.

xray

Reaction score
I think the term " coaching changes " has 2 meanings...the present staff remains much the same and the present scheme of coaching remains the same ...same old same old .

Tusc2000

Reaction score
xray":ajd341g0 said:
I think the term " coaching changes " has 2 meanings...the present staff remains much the same and the present scheme of coaching remains the same ...same old same old .

We were 10-2 and had the #1 seed before we lost our 3 RBs to injury, not to mention Diggs, our best DB. So sure, let's fire a bunch of coaches just to please a few crazies in the fan base. That makes all the sense in the world.

xray

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3fmuwibg said:
xray":3fmuwibg said:

We were 10-2 and had the #1 seed before we lost our 3 RBs to injury, not to mention Diggs, our best DB. So sure, let's fire a bunch of coaches just to please a few crazies in the fan base. That makes all the sense in the world.
No changes = no SB appearances .

Seymour

Reaction score
James in PA":pplotan1 said:
I watched his season ending press conference and when he said “nothing to talk about,” he sort of hesitated just before he said it. I personally took it as there COULD be a change and he wasn’t trying to give away too much. Why not just say “no” without hesitation if he planned on keeping everyone on? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+100. :2thumbs:

Read between the lines and consider the source people! Carroll's choice of words and response indicated change IS coming IMO. It was as close to a yes as you will ever get from Pete at this early stage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":2gx28aen said:
Tusc2000":2gx28aen said:
xray":2gx28aen said:

It's Pete's team, so changes = no SB appearances too. Because any change would be another Pete disciple or like minded coordinator that's running Pete's schemes and playbooks.

I have no problem with Norton or Schotty. IMO the reason we didn't make the SB this year was a talent and depth deficit, not scheme or coaching.

This was not a SB caliber defense, it just wasn't. That was on full display Sunday night in GB against a team that's going to get utterly destroyed in SF.

Spend 80% of our cap space and draft picks on defense. If that unit doesn't get younger, faster and stronger, next season is going to look a lot like this season.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35lrmjp2 said:
xray":35lrmjp2 said:
Tusc2000":35lrmjp2 said:
xray":35lrmjp2 said:

It's Pete's team, so changes = no SB appearances too. Because any change would be another Pete disciple or like minded coordinator that's running Pete's schemes and playbooks.

I have no problem with Norton or Schotty. IMO the reason we didn't make the SB this year was a talent and depth deficit, not scheme or coaching.

This was not a SB caliber defense, it just wasn't. That was on full display Sunday night in GB against a team that's going to get utterly destroyed in SF.

Spend 80% of our cap space and draft picks on defense. If that unit doesn't get younger, faster and stronger, next season is going to look a lot like this season.
There is a giant delta between superbowl defense and one of the worst defenses in the league AND one of the worst defenses in franchise history. I dont think that talent is amazing, but its not one of the 3 worst in the league. I think Norton gets shit canned.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2g7jzud9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2g7jzud9 said:
xray":2g7jzud9 said:
Tusc2000":2g7jzud9 said:

There is a giant delta between superbowl defense and one of the worst defenses in the league AND one of the worst defenses in franchise history. I dont think that talent is amazing, but its not one of the 3 worst in the league. I think Norton gets $h!t canned.

Believe me, I'm not absolving Pete or Norton, they're culpable with how poorly the defense played this year. But tell me other then Clowney and Wagner who the elite defenders are on the defense?

D-line was just a bunch of dudes, Wright and Kendricks are good, but not elite. Griffin and Diggs are good, but not elite, and Diggs was only healthy for what, three games?

Our lack of speed was STARTLINGLY on display in the Arizona game. When your entire defense can't even catch a 220 lb RB running down the field on an 80 yard TD run? That's embarassing dude.

So make all the coaching and scheme changes you want, it's not going to fix the lack of elite talent and playmakers on defense.