$20 million plus for Clowney

xray

Reaction score
The defense allowed 26 pts. average per game in 13 games that Clowney played ; however in the 3 games he didn't play the defense allowed 20 pts . average ; which included the Eagles game where they got a season high 5 sacks . He dominated huge in the SF game ; but wasn't a game changer in most of the other games he played . Would $20 million be better spent on 2 or 3 other FA signings ? Just speculating .

HawkGA

Reaction score
Those are definitely some surprising stats. The Philly offense was just hot garbage, though, so that hardly seems fair.

Largent80

Reaction score
Stats don't tell the whole story. He was double teamed exclusively, and still was disruptive. Pay him.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Largent80":2yzm9fl0 said:
Stats don't tell the whole story. He was double teamed exclusively, and still was disruptive. Pay him.
You got it Largent. Clowney played a big part in every game he played, even while injured. Healthy...he's a beast. Our most urgent "must have" deal of this year. But we also have to help him by increasing the threat on the other side while plugging the middle. We have a lot of needs, but Clowney is tops on that list.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
I wish he would stay too ; but $20-22 million ? If he decides to stay ; I wonder how many years he wants and how much guaranteed $ he would ask . This could be a very expensive commitment for the long term .

Cyrus12

Reaction score
My biggest concern is his health. A lot of money to pay a guy that has had some injury history.

sutz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":txrdapbt said:
My biggest concern is his health. A lot of money to pay a guy that has had some injury history.
That, and the need pointed out above to add some help to take some of the pressure off of him. We're coming off of a season where Clowney was basically our only DL threat. Teams can almost always neutralize a single threat, and good to great teams do it all the time. If we spend too much on Clowney, how much does that hanstring our efforts to add more DL help to the mix?

Interesting problem for JS to work out.

BASF

Reaction score
xray":3qjl5r50 said:
The defense allowed 26 pts. average per game in 13 games that Clowney played ; however in the 3 games he didn't play the defense allowed 20 pts . average ; which included the Eagles game where they got a season high 5 sacks . He dominated huge in the SF game ; but wasn't a game changer in most of the other games he played . Would $20 million be better spent on 2 or 3 other FA signings ? Just speculating .

While your average is correct, it is a bit disingenuous when the three scores were 9, 27 and 26. There is exactly one game that is an outlier from our average and as was stated before the Eagles were bad at that point in time. It wasn't until they played one of the historically worst divisions in their last four games did they actually play decently.

Also, as Fade has pointed out, the cap hit will not actually be that high.

All that being said, I am against re-signing Clowney. He is a great player. He is top five in the league at run stopping, setting the edge and disrupting. However, we need to get the QB on the ground and he is not in the top thirty of actually getting hits on the QB let alone sacking them. So, your second to the last sentence is accurate. I would much rather grab a DT that will get push in the interior and one of the other DE's that have a better record of sacks and QBhits than Clowney.

James in PA

Reaction score
He’s not coming back. We got some SERIOUS work to do on a D line that was already sorry WITH him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
The duo of Bud Dupree and Robert Quinn/Dante Fowler might be money better spent.

getnasty

Reaction score
I was in the corner if paying him to begin with but the more i about it i feel we should pass. Guys that get paid that kind of money dominate every game like Clowney did the first 49er game.

hawks85

Reaction score
If we don't pay him someone else will. Either way Clowney is getting 20 plus a year. I dont care how you slice it up.

edogg23

Reaction score
Take the comp pick and run! He’s way to injury prone for that kind of deal.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
edogg23":1vt9hqfr said:
Take the comp pick and run! He’s way to injury prone for that kind of deal.

If we let Reed and Clowney walk and bring in three others in the $10mil APY range would it improve our DL? I am not sure I have the answer but we need to revamp our DL asap.

sutz

Reaction score
We promised not to tag him and I assume they will honor that. I doubt we'd go that far. With his injury history, I'm a little leery of a 5/6 year deal for him anyway, even though it wouldn't necessarily be that long. The key would be in the guaranteed money, of course, but that's getting into "holy cow, how do we pay the rest of the guys?" territory.

We've been talking about this all season. Looks like he's a one year rental. Pity.

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm not sure that article about his contract demands is accurate. He did specifically state that he wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, not just for the biggest paycheck. That article isn't bringing his own comments into play at all. So until he says it in an actual quote, he is still in play with us.

But if he does want that type of a record setting contract, then no thanks. We need too many FA signings just to field a quality DL, and that doesn't happen if we pay that price.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
kf3339":274umzgn said:
I'm not sure that article about his contract demands is accurate. He did specifically state that he wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, not just for the biggest paycheck. That article isn't bringing his own comments into play at all. So until he says it in an actual quote, he is still in play with us.

But if he does want that type of a record setting contract, then no thanks. We need too many FA signings just to field a quality DL, and that doesn't happen if we pay that price.

The point I tried to bring across . i would be nice to retain him ; but at what price ?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
What most people are missing is that we can afford it. Judging his sack ability by 2019 isn't conclusive given the total lack of other pass-rushing threats. Get Clowney and a couple more guys going and watch him blossom.

We need someone of his caliber, and they aren't coming cheap. Someone will overpay for Quinn and Fowler same as someone will for Clowney.