Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quinton Dunbar traded to the Seahawks,

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • It's the QD secondary. Duncan & Diggs. Imagine we'd have signed Jefferson. Three Quintons on D.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:For a safety conversion to NFL starting CB in one season, with a sophomore regression, methinks a few here are being a tad hard on CB- Flowers. He was drafted in the 5th rd. @ pick 146

Let's wait and watch his 3rd season. The curve is trending very upward.

With all due respect, how was Flowers play tending upwards. His play got progressively worse towards the end of the year and he sucked in the playoffs. Let him learn in the film room and on the practice field. IMO he is trending towards Tharold Simon 2.0.

If we develop a pass rush, it will make all the DBs better. It is tough to cover when the QB has all day to throw a pass.

True, but it’s also hard to defend a pass when you don’t see it because you refuse to turn you head when the ball is coming.

Is that the metric for pass or fail for a DB? If is then every DB is a failure. Besides QB, the DB position is one of the toughest position to play. They have to anticipate the moves of another player BEFORE the player even makes it. Hard to do. Every DB has been burnt and when they do a lot of time all they can do is put their hands up and hope they get lucky. Not making excuses for Flowers, there is improvement that can be made. However, there has been improvement and hopefully there will be more.
    Nunya
    NET Practice Squad

• I’m curious tho, if I’m Dunbar and I have to play out the whole season on the same contract what does he gain? Heck there’s even more risk now that he’s on a new team and might not duplicate his success from last season. IMO this makes not a lot of sense from dunbars position unless he’s getting a restructured deal or an extension?
    Kinger95
    NET Rookie

• Kinger95 wrote:I’m curious tho, if I’m Dunbar and I have to play out the whole season on the same contract what does he gain? Heck there’s even more risk now that he’s on a new team and might not duplicate his success from last season. IMO this makes not a lot of sense from dunbars position unless he’s getting a restructured deal or an extension?

Out of DC
    Nunya
    NET Practice Squad

• Nunya wrote:
    Kinger95 wrote:I’m curious tho, if I’m Dunbar and I have to play out the whole season on the same contract what does he gain? Heck there’s even more risk now that he’s on a new team and might not duplicate his success from last season. IMO this makes not a lot of sense from dunbars position unless he’s getting a restructured deal or an extension?

Out of DC

Not only that, but he's going to a contender team known for having a player-friendly coach who specializes in developing defensive backs, including a hall of famer who had a freakishly similar career path to him.

Really good situation for him heading into a contract year
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Don't be so quick to dismiss Flowers. Dunbar has played a lot of Nickle in his career too.

I don’t want to see Flowers on the field until he proves he can get his head turned and play the ball on a consistent basis.

You wanted shaq gone too then? He was 2nd worst cb in year 2 in all of the league. He doesn't pick the ball off really. People love to quit on ppl anymore right away.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• This is great news I've been saying since the season ended that regardless of what happens on the D-line Seattle's secondary had to be upgraded. This should really help.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Quote from WalterFootball: https://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php
    "This might be the most lopsided trade we've seen this offseason without Bill O'Brien being involved."

"The Seahawks are huge winners. They've needed a No. 1 cornerback to replace Richard Sherman for a couple of years now, and they finally have one. Dunbar is good enough to get the team over the hump in regard to advancing deep into the playoffs. This is a no-brainer A+ for them."
    Rainmaker
    NET Rookie

• Nunya wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:For a safety conversion to NFL starting CB in one season, with a sophomore regression, methinks a few here are being a tad hard on CB- Flowers. He was drafted in the 5th rd. @ pick 146

With all due respect, how was Flowers play tending upwards. His play got progressively worse towards the end of the year and he sucked in the playoffs. Let him learn in the film room and on the practice field. IMO he is trending towards Tharold Simon 2.0.

If we develop a pass rush, it will make all the DBs better. It is tough to cover when the QB has all day to throw a pass.

A good secondary translates into a better pass rush too.
    Norcalhawklover
    NET Rookie

• How long ago was it he ran a 4.4?
    Sure hope his physical turns out good, cause if he's healthy this potentially answers a BIG pre-season question we've been toting around since the beginning of last season.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.
    OpHawk
    NET Veteran

• Norcalhawklover wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

A good secondary translates into a better pass rush too.

Each helps the other without a doubt but if the pass rush can’t get home or at least force the throw a good QB can wait on his WRs to get position on the DBs.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• OpHawk wrote:Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.
    I am a Tre Flowers fan boy, I like him and Dunbar battle it out in camp for the starting right corner position. Tre has to improve quite a bit to overdone his new competition, fans should be real happy if he could cause that means we can field 3 really good CBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: Quinton Dunbar traded to the Seahawks,
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 pm

• March 26, 2020 at 11:36 am
    New Seahawks CB quinton Dunbar is excited for a new beginning in Seattle. (Getty)

“Before the trade was (finished) I had opportunities with a couple of teams but I wanted to go to Seattle,” Dunbar said. “At the end of the day, I feel like it’s a perfect situation for me to go play for a team that competes for championships every year. I’m just looking forward to that and everything will take care of itself. I just wanted a new beginning, and I’m just going to go out there help Seattle whichever way I can.”

Dunbar, 27, is the typical Pete Carroll cornerback: tall (6’2), lanky (32-inch-plus arms) and fast (4.44 40-yard dash). He’s also a former receiver, like the best corner in franchise history, Richard Sherman. Unlike Sherman, Dunbar didn’t make the move to defense until he was already in the NFL.

“It definitely wasn’t an easy transition,” Dunbar told 710 ESPN Seattle’s Danny and Gallant.

“Before the trade was (finished) I had opportunities with a couple of teams but I wanted to go to Seattle,” Dunbar said. “At the end of the day, I feel like it’s a perfect situation for me to go play for a team that competes for championships every year. I’m just looking forward to that and everything will take care of itself. I just wanted a new beginning, and I’m just going to go out there help Seattle whichever way I can.”

Quinton Dunbar: ‘I wanted to go to Seattle’ and play for Seahawks >>> https://sports.mynorthwest.com/835909/quinton-dunbar-i-wanted-to-go-to-seattle-and-play-for-seahawks/ <<< includes embedded pod cast interview of Quinton Dunbar

...............................................................................................................................................................................................
    Bumpus said he watched some of Dunbar’s film after the trade was reported and came away impressed, calling Dunbar a “baller.”

“When you look at Dunbar, look at the way he plays the ball. He’s always on the receiver’s hip,” Bumpus said. “He’s good to go. He had four picks last year – two in one game. I don’t think it’s going to be a big transition.”

The biggest transition for Dunbar may not be on the field, but off of it. He’s joining a defense that’s had the same two starting cornerbacks for two seasons and he’s expected to be fighting for a starting spot.

“This guy’s coming in to essentially take someone’s spot, and I think we all know who I’m talking about. It’s Tre Flowers over there,” Bumpus said. “I think the biggest challenge is going to be being able to walk into that (defensive backs) room and just get used to the guys. Those guys have been in battle together.”

Bumpus: Dunbar should fare better than other CBs in move to Seahawks >>> https://sports.mynorthwest.com/835809/bumpus-dunbar-fare-better-other-cbs-seahawks/
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• OpHawk wrote:Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.

Unfortunately, people will always remember a player only by what he did in his most recent appearances (see: Jimmy Graham).

Even more unfortunately, Flowers did legitimately struggle last postseason. There's a reason Dunbar was signed, and given other contracts going around the league, it wasn't to play nickel.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.

Unfortunately, people will always remember a player only by what he did in his most recent appearances (see: Jimmy Graham).

Even more unfortunately, Flowers did legitimately struggle last postseason. There's a reason Dunbar was signed, and given other contracts going around the league, it wasn't to play nickel.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Flowers a good option for nickel? I wouldn't think so because he's tall and lanky, but what do you guys think?
    Vaclav44
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:59 am
  • Vaclav44 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    OpHawk wrote:Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Flowers a good option for nickel? I wouldn't think so because he's tall and lanky, but what do you guys think?
    I am curious to know too, by the way, what is the different skill sets for playing on the sides vs inside when it comes to CB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:08 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Vaclav44 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I am curious to know too, by the way, what is the different skill sets for playing on the sides vs inside when it comes to CB?

Your (inside) slot corner/safety benefits from loose hips and exceptional quickness to work thru traffic and change direction. They are ideally backed up by a safety over the top. So, play making is encouraged. (Tyrann Mathieu)

Your (outside) boundary corners are responsible for contesting the red line and can't always rely on help over the top. They make good use of length to contest the pass and also must be physical to stop the run out on the edges. (Richard Sherman)

That's about as concise and simple an answer as I can offer. :biggthumpup:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Flowers would be a lousy Slot guy, Dunbar could fill the Coleman roll, but we also have Amadi who played it and Pete liked there.

Other then that the options are not there at this time.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Sports Hernia wrote:True, but it’s also hard to defend a pass when you don’t see it because you refuse to turn you head when the ball is coming.

This is mildly off topic but KJ has a really interesting interview on Gamepass about this and its more complicated than many fans think.

We want players to turn their heads so they can locate the ball for a potential interception which is the best outcome. However, in doing so they lose track of the receiver and in particular the receiver's hands. In many coverage situations players are told instead to key directly on the receivers hands in order to guarantee the pass breakup rather than taking the higher risk gamble.

Often times when we see middling coverage players not turning their heads that is what they have been told to do in that situation due to their limited coverage ability compared to the receiver. It's a risk/reward decision that only pays off when your guy is a match for the other guy athletically.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Sports Hernia wrote:True, but it’s also hard to defend a pass when you don’t see it because you refuse to turn you head when the ball is coming.

This is mildly off topic but KJ has a really interesting interview on Gamepass about this and its more complicated than many fans think.

We want players to turn their heads so they can locate the ball for a potential interception which is the best outcome. However, in doing so they lose track of the receiver and in particular the receiver's hands. In many coverage situations players are told instead to key directly on the receivers hands in order to guarantee the pass breakup rather than taking the higher risk gamble.

Often times when we see middling coverage players not turning their heads that is what they have been told to do in that situation due to their limited coverage ability compared to the receiver. It's a risk/reward decision that only pays off when your guy is a match for the other guy athletically.

That makes a tone of sense.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• AgentDib wrote:Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

So your putting a guy out there with limited coverage skills but has length and speed versus a coverage guy that can locate the ball and not lose his guy, a good corner can peek and keep pace and defend trajectory and read a receiver before a ball gets there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Wenhawk wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Beep.
    HawkStrong
    NET Starter

• HawkStrong wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Beep.

So is that beep a high pitched or low pitched tone.
    :D
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:32 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    HawkStrong wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:

Beep.

So is that beep a high pitched or low pitched tone.
    :D

How hard is it to feel where the guy is when covering?Some of you have played
    the game and/or soccer and basketball.I never myself ever just stared at the guy
    and just threw my arms up or blocked his view of soccer ball without knowing
    where the balls at.To me if a guy has to do that then he is not the player for the job.
    Sherm is a great example of the perfect guy for the spot,an ex WR who plays CB
    with WR eyes.When you do that you know it's not about being a shadow with arms
    flailing all over with no idea where the little football is going.Very fustrating to see
    PI on underthrown balls because your in the way of catch or getting burned because
    it's just over your helmet deep for a catch but you can't get what you never saw.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:58 pm
  • Only 9 NFL CB's had more INT's that Flowers last year, 4 of them only had 1 more than him. I think there may be some misconception that CB's are racking up picks all season.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• 28 CB's had more Passes Deflected
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Previous

It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information