Good Things, Bad Things

BlueOne

Reaction score
Just a quick write up regarding some things I saw during the game.

Good Thing Norwood just screams quality wide receiver every time I see him on the field. Richardson has been looking good for a rookie too, but something about Norwood just makes me think he's going to be a stud.

Bad Thing Every time I noticed number 35 (Shead), something good was happening for the Raiders. Get better soon Kam.

Good Thing Richard Sherman is still the best CB in the NFL and I'm not saying that because he finally got a pick today. Quality in run support, always in position, and soft hands. He's even following WRs this year when the team needs him to, just another great game from him in a season that has been full of them imo.

Bad Thing Gilliam looked awful and I assume our newest center got hurt again since the already injured Schilling came in at the end. I can't really blame Gil for having his issues, he's an undrafted rookie I think? But he does not look ready to play in the nfl. Penalties and getting blown up in the run game galore.

Good Thing Bruce Irvin had his best game as a pro today. He obviously had the pick 6, but he's always had games where he flashed an amazing play. Today he was dominant from start to finish, filling holes,plowing RBs, and just being all around great in coverage as well. If he can maintain the last 2 weeks of play there is hope for this defense regaining some of its greatness from last year.

Bad Thing Luke Willson was terrible today. Four drops, including two 30ish yard plays and a TD, as well as a clutch 3rd down conversion drop that would have scewed the hawks if a defensive holding hadn't been called across the field. There is nothing more frustrating in the NFL than a receiver who gets open but can't catch. Ugh.

Good Thing I realize Bailey had some bad penalties but that said, as often as Wilson was being pressured it didn't seem to me to ever be coming through our LT. I really think Bailey has a future in this league despite his mistakes today.

Bad Things I don't have much good left to say so I'm just going to finish with all of my remaining bad things. Carpenter got hurt and looked pretty bad even before the injury with a blatant hold as well as some missed blocking assignments. I love me some Russell Wilson but he's had some pretty bad plays the last couple of weeks, especially regarding throwing the ball high. He got lucky to not throw 2 picks today.

Good Thing Oh, and I remembered one last good thing while writing this, Marshawn Lynch is still really freaking good.

Alright, that's all I have for now as I need to go make dinner. Don't stress out too much debbie downers, a win is a win in the NFL, every game is hard and you are a truly spoiled fan base when you're kicking and screaming about a 5-3 record.

pehawk

Reaction score
Best kearly fill-in so far, by a landslide. Thank you.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Bad: Special teams flipped the scoreboard by 17 points in the favor of Oakland.

OP
OP
B

BlueOne

Reaction score
Reaneypark":oj8s8b5a said:
Bad: Special teams flipped the scoreboard by 17 points in the favor of Oakland.

Ah, that reminds me. Yeah, not only did we give up the block punt for 7, but if I recall correctly we gave up to Oakland their longerst kickoff return AND punt return of the season. The Punt Return especially I remember being on Kearse for giving up outside contain I believe.

kearly

Reaction score
Turbin looked AWESOME today. Michael had at a couple nice runs too. Lynch was Lynch. Seattle ran the ball really damn well considering how depleted the OL is and how good the Raiders run D had been playing the past month.

The 'Turbin rule' was renamed the 'Lynch rule' before the game today. Three out of Lynch's biggest four plays were called back on penalties.

Oakland did something really dumb. They sold out to stop Wilson as a runner, basically forcing Wilson to attack their biggest weakness, their secondary. They were bailed out by Wilson who had the worst and most unfathomably terrible performance I can ever remember seeing from him. Whatever Wilson's record was for missed throws in a game before now, he doubled that record today.

Sherman had some nice plays and was more or less mistake free. It definitely felt like the old Sherman we know and love was back today.

The pass rush made a few big plays but for the most part they looked subpar today. Carr had too much time to throw too often, even when Seattle sent the house. Seattle had to lean on their secondary and run defense to win today.

Baldwin had a boneheaded catch at the 2 yard line on a punt, but made up for it later with a great return. Richardson had a nice KR as well. It was a weird game where Seattle's ST looked both awesome and awful at different points in the game.

KPL with the dropped pick six. #25 (Hayden?) of Oakland dropped a pick six (then dropped another interception late in the game). And Irvin actually had a pick six.

Carroll looked pissed in the second half. I swear it looked like he called a timeout at one point just to chew out Wilson.

Fantastic officiating by Hoculi today. Didn't see a single bad call (though some of the illegal man downfield calls were called too tight I thought). Some of the flags did really hurt, and some really helped too. Of course, this feels like a bit of a miracle to get an ace game from Hoculi given how he manages about 6-7 senior moments in every game.

BKCW

Reaction score
BlueOne":121sy6h9 said:
Good Thing Norwood just screams quality wide receiver every time I see him on the field. Richardson has been looking good for a rookie too, but something about Norwood just makes me think he's going to be a stud.

He reminds me of Anquan Boldin, a big strong receiver with decent speed and vice grip hands. It's going to be fun watching him develop in this offense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":1wcnto1b said:
Turbin looked AWESOME today. Michael had at a couple nice runs too. Lynch was Lynch. Seattle ran the ball really damn well considering how depleted the OL is and how good the Raiders run D had been playing the past month.

The 'Turbin rule' was renamed the 'Lynch rule' before the game today. Three out of Lynch's biggest four plays were called back on penalties.

Oakland did something really dumb. They sold out to stop Wilson as a runner, basically forcing Wilson to attack their biggest weakness, their secondary. They were bailed out by Wilson who had the worst and most unfathomably terrible performance I can ever remember seeing from him. Whatever Wilson's record was for missed throws in a game before now, he doubled that record today.

Sherman had some nice plays and was more or less mistake free. It definitely felt like the old Sherman we know and love was back today.

The pass rush made a few big plays but for the most part they looked subpar today. Carr had too much time to throw too often, even when Seattle sent the house. Seattle had to lean on their secondary and run defense to win today.

Baldwin had a boneheaded catch at the 2 yard line on a punt, but made up for it later with a great return. Richardson had a nice KR as well. It was a weird game where Seattle's ST looked both awesome and awful at different points in the game.

KPL with the dropped pick six. #25 (Hayden?) of Oakland dropped a pick six (then dropped another interception late in the game). And Irvin actually had a pick six.

Carroll looked pissed in the second half. I swear it looked like he called a timeout at one point just to chew out Wilson.

Fantastic officiating by Hoculi today. Didn't see a single bad call (though some of the illegal man downfield calls were called too tight I thought). Some of the flags did really hurt, and some really helped too. Of course, this feels like a bit of a miracle to get an ace game from Hoculi given how he manages about 6-7 senior moments in every game.
The illegal man downfield penaltys were ticky tack as hell. They also swallowed the whistle when Oaklands O-line was getting away with a few obvious holds on their last couple of drives, so if we are grading on an NFL curve I'd say it was a slightly above average officiated game. YMMV. 8)

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":pca9o73n said:
kearly":pca9o73n said:

The illegal man downfield penaltys were ticky tack as hell. They also swallowed the whistle when Oaklands O-line was getting away with a few obvious holds on their last couple of drives, so if we are grading on an NFL curve I'd say it was a slightly above average officiated game. YMMV. 8)

Hochuli is a pleasant old man, who's a bit of a bumbler more often than not. But to be fair in reference to the refs swallowing the whistle on a few Rayduh holds, they biffed on a few blatant Justin Britt gems earlier in the game as well. As long as calls and non-calls alike go equally both ways, I'm pleased.

HawkHack

Reaction score
Good ADB played really well again. He caught pretty much everything sent his way, and had a nice PR as well. He really is a solid consistent player who makes plays. What more could you ask?

Good BeastMode was great -- bring'em'back penalties (as we have come to expect) notwithstanding. I think he caught everything and just punished the Oakland D.

Good Irvin's INT was a thing of beauty -- he kept his eyes on the ball after the tip and never lost track of it. I kind of expected a bit more in the afterburner department after the INT, but defensive TDs are critical to the Seahawks' success, so I'll take it.

Bad Luke Willson's ability to catch the ball, or at least to hang onto it.

Bad Oakland's ability to make hay on ST returns (punts, kickoffs). We were on an historic pace last year on punt return yardage allowed -- what's the difference now?

Bad Edit: Forgot to mention RW. Although he once again made plays when he needed to, can't we have a QB that just makes plays, period? You know, a guy who beats down the opposing team when they're down? Wilson's high throws reminded me of 2012, and of thinking, "you know, this is a good team, but they're really not going anywhere". Maybe it's on the coaches, but I'd like to see us just beat an 0-7 team by the third quarter instead of having to recover an onside kick late in the fourth.

Exittium

Reaction score
DanejaHawk":28sgo4ah said:
Sports Hernia":28sgo4ah said:
kearly":28sgo4ah said:

Hochuli is a pleasant old man, who's a bit of a bumbler more often than not. But to be fair in reference to the refs swallowing the whistle on a few Rayduh holds, they biffed on a few blatant Justin Britt gems earlier in the game as well. As long as calls and non-calls alike go equally both ways, I'm pleased.

Or the intentional grounding the raiders got away with when car obviously spiked the ball thinking there was a phantom whistle

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BAD: Justin Britt.....his worst game as a pro.

For those of you making some complaints about Hoculi, think Mike Carey, Bill Leavy, Jerome Boger, Walt Coleman........

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkHack":k22f4578 said:
Good ADB played really well again. He caught pretty much everything sent his way, and had a nice PR as well. He really is a solid consistent player who makes plays. What more could you ask?

Good BeastMode was great -- bring'em'back penalties (as we have come to expect) notwithstanding. I think he caught everything and just punished the Oakland D.

Good Irvin's INT was a thing of beauty -- he kept his eyes on the ball after the tip and never lost track of it. I kind of expected a bit more in the afterburner department after the INT, but defensive TDs are critical to the Seahawks' success, so I'll take it.

Bad Luke Willson's ability to catch the ball, or at least to hang onto it.

Bad Oakland's ability to make hay on ST returns (punts, kickoffs). We were on an historic pace last year on punt return yardage allowed -- what's the difference now?

Bad Edit: Forgot to mention RW. Although he once again made plays when he needed to, can't we have a QB that just makes plays, period? You know, a guy who beats down the opposing team when they're down? Wilson's high throws reminded me of 2012, and of thinking, "you know, this is a good team, but they're really not going anywhere". Maybe it's on the coaches, but I'd like to see us just beat an 0-7 team by the third quarter instead of having to recover an onside kick late in the fourth.

We that QB that can do this, but even the greatest need help 4 drops, oline horrible, penalties, play calling, etc. At some point even he needs help, and he gets very little.