Just a friendly reminder.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Also, the Patriots who everyone is crowning after today needed the refs to beat Oakland at home by 7 and barely escaped the Jets by 2 at home. We're 5-3 still in great position to make the playoffs maybe even win the division if we sweep Arizona. We're still fine.

razgriz737

Reaction score
RunTheBall":232gupzp said:
Also, the Patriots who everyone is crowning after today needed the refs to beat Oakland at home by 7 and barely escaped the Jets by 2 at home. We're 5-3 still in great position to make the playoffs maybe even win the division if we sweep Arizona. We're still fine.
The NFL is a funny league. People expect us to run over lesser teams like Oakland as if this is college football. The NFL just doesn't work that way. Any given sunday.

Polaris

Reaction score
If our Seahawks play the rest of the season like they played that second half, we won't win another game.

That said I am otherwise looking at things with a fairly positive note because I don't think they will. For most intents and purposes, Seattle was playing their 2nd and third string people in there today because of injury and that had to affect things. Not only that but if you look at DVOA, the Raiders are not a bad team. They are a mediocre team that has been the victim of perhaps one of the hardest schedules in the entire NFL....and the Raiders have pretty much always played their opponents very tough.

The big deal here is that we are 5-3 at the midway point of the season, only two games behind Arizona with two games against them yet to be played. I also believe this is probably the nadir point of our season when it comes to injuries (i.e. we'll start getting starters back more than losing them to new injuries). Better yet with that delicious San Fran loss, we are a full game ahead of them.

The only flaw is that I wish the Cowboys had found a way to beat Arizona. I am still not impressed with Arizona mainly because after watching that game, I am convinced more than ever that a Cowboys team with a healthy Romo beats the Cards.....but with Romo out, 'Zona stacked the box and dared Wheaton to throw it and he wasn't good enough to do it on a consistent basis. Essentially with Romo, the Cowboys are a better team IMO. Without him, they weren't.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Polaris":kqgqv2jj said:
If our Seahawks play the rest of the season like they played that second half, we won't win another game.

That said I am otherwise looking at things with a fairly positive note because I don't think they will. For most intents and purposes, Seattle was playing their 2nd and third string people in there today because of injury and that had to affect things. Not only that but if you look at DVOA, the Raiders are not a bad team. They are a mediocre team that has been the victim of perhaps one of the hardest schedules in the entire NFL....and the Raiders have pretty much always played their opponents very tough.

The big deal here is that we are 5-3 at the midway point of the season, only two games behind Arizona with two games against them yet to be played. I also believe this is probably the nadir point of our season when it comes to injuries (i.e. we'll start getting starters back more than losing them to new injuries). Better yet with that delicious San Fran loss, we are a full game ahead of them.

The only flaw is that I wish the Cowboys had found a way to beat Arizona. I am still not impressed with Arizona mainly because after watching that game, I am convinced more than ever that a Cowboys team with a healthy Romo beats the Cards.....but with Romo out, 'Zona stacked the box and dared Wheaton to throw it and he wasn't good enough to do it on a consistent basis. Essentially with Romo, the Cowboys are a better team IMO. Without him, they weren't.

Yeah, I'm pissed that Romo was out. The Cardinals lucked out AGAIN. They are getting to the tough part of their schedule, and then the tough teams puts in their backups. They played a different Cowboys team than everyone else.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
razgriz737":3qc5p6bc said:
The NFL is a funny league. People expect us to run over lesser teams like Oakland as if this is college football. The NFL just doesn't work that way. Any given sunday.
Actually, a hallmark of elite teams compared to good ones is that they stomp inferior teams into the ground.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... and-stomps

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22x4s25d said:
razgriz737":22x4s25d said:
Actually, a hallmark of elite teams compared to good ones is that they stomp inferior teams into the ground.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a ... and-stomps

Did you read your own link? Cause it's saying the opposite.......unless the only elite team in the history of the NFL is the 2003 Pats.

But yes, contrary to Pete's everything's rosy post game speeches lately after these unconvincing wins it does irritate me that the Hawks seem to play down to their opponents more times than not.

Even the Denver game is a game we should have won going away, but the offense never seems to put together a couple really good second half drives to put the game away.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z2ev6gy said:
Did you read your own link? Cause it's saying the opposite.......unless the only elite team in the history of the NFL is the 2003 Pats.
Yes, I did. You obviously, did not, however. :) You must have misread something? Read the whole thing...

Football Outsiders":2z2ev6gy said:
I've received a lot of e-mail since Football Outsiders took over the FOXSports.com power rankings this year. Many of the e-mails I get read a little something like this:
"Team X blows out a losing team and you move them up your power rankings. But when Team Y pulls off a clutch victory against a winning team, you don't move them up. A close win against a good team is a lot more important."
There's only one problem with this statement. It isn't true.
People want to believe that the teams that can win the close ones are championship teams. But as counter-intuitive as it sounds, championship teams are generally defined by their ability to easily win games over inferior teams.