Tharold Simon has....

pehawk

Reaction score
Played 8 solid, REALLY solid, consecutive quarters of football. He's getting better and making me tingly over his potential. He's a lot of Browner attitudinally, but with more natural cover skills.

Maxwell may've just lost his job.

XOXO

Carlton Gray

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah I knew that Simon just needed some time to adjust on the field. Everyone was all over his case for his first game, but that was his FIRST GAME! Now that he is getting used to the NFL, he is starting to look a lot better.

If you loved Browner, you will love Simon. If you complained about Browner, you will likely not be a big fan of Simon. There are going to be some dumb penalties. But he will make some big plays and he will be a great member of the LOB. We're going to have great depth at CB once Maxwell and Lane are back.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fnq34rqv said:
pehawk":fnq34rqv said:

2119935855 bed8fd6634 o

Yeah, I mean, it's never worked out that way under Pete. Crazy talk...

Also, did you really LOL? I mean LITERALLY LOL? I hope so because I'm tired of everyone typing LOL when they don't mean it. In most cases if they actually did LOL they probably also laugh at KFC Commercials. If they laugh at those types of things I want them to plummet from the 300 level anyways (that WOULD be LOL worthy)

I'm tired of LOL's being passed out all willy-nilly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say there's competition at the position, at the very least.

After yesterday, it's a damn good thing that they've spent so much draft resource on DB depth.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
It's not like the entire secondary, sans Earl, didn't get their starting position via someone else's injury.

I guess maybe Kam too. But the CB's have all got their shot due to someone else being hurt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2765u6oe said:
Also, did you really LOL? I mean LITERALLY LOL? I hope so because I'm tired of everyone typing LOL when they don't mean it. In most cases if they actually did LOL they probably also laugh at KFC Commercials. If they laugh at those types of things I want them to plummet from the 300 level anyways (that WOULD be LOL worthy)

I'm tired of LOL's being passed out all willy-nilly.

It was more of a guffaw than LOL........but I couldn't find a "guffaw of the day" picture.

Simon has some promise, but he's nowhere near Maxwell's level. He's played just OK for me, haven't seen anything spectacular yet.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete said on his coaches show on KIRO this morning that he thought Simon played excellent football yesterday

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hmm, Simon has played very, very well. Over the past 8 quarters opponents have thrown more towards Sherman than him, I believe. Alot more fluid, natural and effortless motion than Maxwell.

Maxwell is good, but, IMO he's more a preferred body type Pete coached to play a certain way (be Browner lite). Simon is more natural a CB, IMO.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1npoyz02 said:
Hmm, Simon has played very, very well. Over the past 8 quarters opponents have thrown more towards Sherman than him, I believe. Alot more fluid, natural and effortless motion than Maxwell.

Maxwell is good, but, IMO he's more a preferred body type Pete coached to play a certain way. Simon is more natural a CB, IMO.

It will be interesting to see how the competition plays out. I feel that it may be closer than we think. Both are good players with flashes of greatness, but I think Simon has more upside than Maxwell. Just my opinion.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":299rpulp said:
pehawk":299rpulp said:

2119935855 bed8fd6634 o

Slow day huh?

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Simon superseded Byron. There's a couple of things to consider here. B-Max hits FA next year, and should we want to keep him as cheap as possible then it would make sense to sit him behind Simon (while there's no discernible drop off).

Conversely, we may be resigned to losing him. His solid performances since starting should garner some decent offers, and continued strong showings as a starter could net us some decent compensation in this scenario.

Will be interesting to see what happens here, I'm not convinced it's straightforward that Byron starts as soon as he's ready.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2zerr7fe said:
I wouldn't be totally surprised if Simon superseded Byron. There's a couple of things to consider here. B-Max hits FA next year, and should we want to keep him as cheap as possible then it would make sense to sit him behind Simon (while there's no discernible drop off).

Conversely, we may be resigned to losing him. His solid performances since starting should garner some decent offers, and continued strong showings as a starter could net us some decent compensation in this scenario.

I think this has been Pete and John's plan ever since they knew Sherman was a cornerstone all pro caliber DB. Spend the money on him, and then keep developing cheaper guys on the other side. So no I don't expect us to keep Maxwell if he's offered a big contract elsewhere, just like we didn't keep BB or Thurmond.

Will be interesting to see what happens here, I'm not convinced it's straightforward that Byron starts as soon as he's ready.

Yes he will be back in, count on it. Simon is nowhere near Maxwell's dependability right now.

Don't forget, Simon's looked decent mainly because we've been playing teams like the Rams, Panthers and Raiders. How do you think he'd do compared to Maxwell if he had to go up against Rodgers, Manning, Rivers and Romo?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Anyone else yell at your tv in the second half, after a nice pass breakup by Simon, he jogs back giving the throat slash sign to the raiders bench.... I think it probably was a don't try that on me type thing. but was at throat level. Im surprised it didn't get flagged.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
nevermind, see prior post

I agree, I was ready for him to get flagged for the throat slash gesture

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Simon appears to be progressing nicely, and he does bring an added fire to the defense that Maxwell doesn't inherently seem to have, but there is a trade of there because Maxwell commits less dumb penalties.

Barthawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2lz0md93 said:
Played 8 solid, REALLY solid, consecutive quarters of football. He's getting better and making me tingly over his potential. He's a lot of Browner attitudinally, but with more natural cover skills.

XOXO

Carlton Gray

Agreed, pretty solid play, but he will not supplant Bmax.

Ike Charlton

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":ez73r76u said:

XOXO

Carlton Gray

Finding where to play Lane, Simon, and Maxwell is a good problem to have...

Signed,
Keith Simpson

sc85sis

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3grceo61 said:
Simon appears to be progressing nicely, and he does bring an added fire to the defense that Maxwell doesn't inherently seem to have, but there is a trade of there because Maxwell commits less dumb penalties.
I like Maxie, but I do think at times we overrate him because of the picks he got last year. He is very good at punching the ball out too.

This season, with the renewed rules emphasis, he didn't seem nearly as effective at covering. He is a pretty "grabby" player by nature. If he can up his game just a bit though, I think he's got tons of potential, as does Tharold.

It's a good problem to have.