Robert Turbin playing well.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Firstly, Marshawn Lynch is the best player on this offense and looked like it again yesterday (in spite of what might be said in another thread).

That being said, there were other positives to take away from the game. A big one was the play of Robert Turbin. He's quietly putting together a very strong season: good YPC despite limited carries, fantastic YAC as a receiving target, and continues to do all those little things well that have kept him on the field all this time. As a back-up and 3rd down back, you couldn't really ask for much more. It sort of feels like he's turning the corner a bit and realizing some of the potential he flashed during his rookie season.

Thought he and Lynch (both Oakland natives) were two of the bigger reasons we won that game yesterday. He may or may not develop into that "bell cow" running back, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that having multiple RBs who can be used as utility weapons will be crucial for Russell's success. Sproles and Bush weren't bell cows for Brees either, but were nevertheless integral to his success as a shorter quarterback.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I love his effort on his receptions. His balance on run plays is still wonky, stumbling before he even reaches the LOS, but he certainly plays hard.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I think he's done a lot better this year than previous years. If he continues his improvement then I'm not as worried when Lynch leaves.

pehawk

Reaction score
He looked ALOT faster yesterday. I liked Turbin or Michael over Lynch in the draw/delayed running game, actually. Both those two are well suited for that.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":kpwi0abz said:
He looked ALOT faster yesterday. I liked Turbin or Michael over Lynch in the draw/delayed running game, actually. Both those two are well suited for that.

I'm still not quite sold on Michael, it seems he needs more work. He'll break one out every now and then, but it seems Turbin is actually getting more YPC this year. I'll have to look that up and see for sure though.

Edit: Up from last year so far at 4.5 YPC.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7423/robert-turbin

bbsplitter

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1psm4f04 said:
pehawk":1psm4f04 said:

I'm still not quite sold on Michael, it seems he needs more work. He'll break one out every now and then, but it seems Turbin is actually getting more YPC this year. I'll have to look that up and see for sure though.

Slow and steady DOES win the race apparently. :th2thumbs:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HawkinNY":43tnbdkg said:
His blown assignment on the punt block did not look good.

Ah yes, because everyone, on every team, plays perfect...every game. :roll:

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't know what Turbin's assignment was on that play, but the Raider who blocked it was lined up directly in front of Brock Coyle and went right past him unblocked. I don't think that was on Turbin.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Turbin does look like he's starting to the turn the corner.

Still would like Lynch to play out his contract though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree. I've been critical of Turbin in the past but he has played very well as of late. I still think Michael flashes the most of the 3. I would feel pretty good with a combination of Turbin and Michael if Lynch does walk next year.

MTHawk 12

Reaction score
Turbin seems to me more aggressive, delivering a blow instead of going down at first contact. I like it!

kearly

Reaction score
Turbin has improved his balance this season and I think he's also benefiting from some improved run blocking. Turbin's had some games this year where he looked mediocre, and then he's had really good games like the last two weeks.

I think that's what pleased me the most about Turbin's performance on Sunday, it was his second good one in a row. Normally he's a hit or miss player but this last game kind of felt like he had turned the corner.

Even a great talent like Lynch needed some time to figure out Cable's run scheme. Turbin right now is probably around the same number of total carries as Lynch had in Tom Cable's scheme when he started tearing it up midway through 2011.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, I think its being down Tate (fa), Harvin (trd), Miller (inj) and Willson (H-back) + Helfet being so freakin inconsistent in having to replace Miller. Not to mention losing Coleman.

Bevell without all his shiny toys, has finally remembered how to utilize Turbin's strengths has an all around player. And Turbin his making the most out of his opportunities like he has always done for the most part.

Michael has done reasonably well. He's not flashing game breaking ability but I think that has more to do with Cable and Michael learning to play within the system. But all I've seen from him his the ability to fight for positive yards even without any holes.