Non homerism optimism

Vetamur

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted.. had a work trip then made it over to Seattle in time for the game. Reading the papers, listening to some of the sports radio, and reading here.. I feel like Im seeing something else than many people.

A pessimist by nature I tend not to be over board with homer-ism, and still.. I was really impressed with the win and really liking our chances going forward.

Let me lay it out, for discussion purposes.

First, lets talk about the game in specific and then move on to the season going forward after that.

Vs. The Raiders.. what I saw.

"Next man up" is a common mantra and its the correct mindset to have. But it has to be tempered with some reality. Yes, if you lose your tightend or your middle linebacker.. you expect the next guy to come in and propped up by the other 9 or 10 guys. When the next man up though is NOT "the" next man up, but a 3rd stringer.. when you need him to propped up by ..other 3rd stringers etc...then you cant simply say "next man up" and pretend you expect the same performance.

The offensive line was weak. And if it wasnt wouldnt you have been astounded? A 2nd year player who went undrafted played left tackle. A guy who used to play tight end took over at left guard. A guy not on the team a few weeks ago was at center, and when they need "stability" they turned to a guy for 18 or so plays who was brought in to play a different position. Right guard Sweezy is still just in his 3rd season playing on offense and the right tackle is a rookie. So..yea. With that line we won a game. And o line often gets help from tight end but our best blocking TE, the human utility knife Miller, was out. Yes, we through in another o lineman to make up for that, but how is that for tipping your hand?

On defense, we continued the Linebacker Shuffle and started an undrafted rookie. Chancellor couldnt play and the guy seen as our #4 CB in training camp started at CB, while the guy covering the slot wasnt on our team when the season began.

With all that going on, and the roster shuffling that goes with it, you have people playing on special teams that are running down on coverage for the first time with that lane, and the first time with the players on his left and right.. and that is going to show.

And despite all that.. we won. It wasnt a blow out. This team isnt designed for blowouts and they only come when the talent level and the game plans are disparate enough. Sunday they werent, they couldnt be. How could they be? The NFL has 7 inactive spots on game day rosters to "even things out".. but even with those the Seahawks didnt have enough healthy players to field a full team.. Chancellor and Unger technically dressed but were not going to be used.

So we won with 2 fewer players, down 2 pro bowlers.. playing rookies and undrafted people..players playing their first or second full game.

The Raiders are winless but they are still pros.

I was happy with the win. More than happy. We allowed less than 40 yards rushing with a undrafted rookie playing middle line backer. Less than 200 yards passing with half the starting DBs out. There was moderate pressure, there were turnovers for the second week in a row.

Passing game was miserable. Wilson had a bad game, Willson had a bad game, Kearse was letting things go that he didnt last year. But part of that is the line, and part is just being "off"..

Overall, I think we are on the right track.

which leads to .. Going Forward.

All I keep hearing is the schedule gets harder going forward. Well, maybe. But we are getting better. Players start coming back in real numbers this week. We are 2 games behind the Cardinals..but we play them twice. And their QB is still Palmer. Im not going to call them frauds like some. They are legit. But Palmer has never won a playoff game in 12 years. We control our destiny. And things are starting to line up for us. We will get to play a Sanchez led Eagle team, not a Foles team. We get to play a Giants team on a short week, thoroughly demoralized. The 49er games look less scary than they did in August.

And when we are in the thick of that..we will have Maxwell, Lane, Unger, even Miller. We will have Chancellor. Our new FB will know the playbook and our rookie WRs will be more in flow with their PP (Post Percy) roles.

Guys, this year is a slog.. no easy sledding. But it actually is working out well. We hated the early Bye but it ended up being the best thing for a team after 3 early brutal games..and we have that tough last 6 game gauntlent right when we want it, when we will be getting healthier.

Chin high, eyes up my fellow 12s. The season is coming to us.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I absolutely love this. Pete seems to have the Holmgren (Sans 1999) finish strong touch.

Couple that with the fact that the pressure is now off. The media and fans have written us off. The chip is back. The snarky, chippy, mouthy hawks are back.

Group hug.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Getting guys back is the best reason to be optimistic, even with the brutal schedule.

Which btw, schedule watching might be the most overrated barometer of future success or failure in the NFL. The NFL is a week to week league. You have no idea who's going to be good in two weeks with how quickly players get injured.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kcqbpt7 said:
Getting guys back is the best reason to be optimistic, even with the brutal schedule.

Which btw, schedule watching might be the most overrated barometer of future success or failure in the NFL. The NFL is a week to week league. You have no idea who's going to be good in two weeks with how quickly players get injured.

Totally agree. I learned this lesson deeply this year. I want ranting and raving about both the early Bye and our final gauntlet in August.. imagine though if we had to play our conference games right now with all these players out. Where we have them on the schedule now I think we have a good chance to sweep the 9ers, for example..but if we played them 2 weeks apart (as we do) last game and 2 games before that.. even at home we would likely lose.

Assuming we dont go through another rash of injuries, the schedule is turning out to be a bonus. This past game was the nadir for us, and we got to pay the Raiders. Cant believe people are disappointed at the win..

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Good points all around. Winning the Super Bowl has spoiled us as fans to a certain extent. In almost everyone of the previous 38 years I would have been very happy and satisfied with a 5-3 record. This year I see many fans unhappy with a win. Margin not big enough, RW didn't look good, defense is not dominant enough, ... They are not going to win every game 50-0. Other teams have professional players too. Other teams want to win too. Teams will always get up emotionally and psychologically when they play the defending champs. Its human nature. Its a chance to see how you measure up with the best.

Last year the mantra was play a championship game every week. I have heard that a little bit this year but it doesn't seem like they have all embraced it (yet). Another saying I heard last year, in the playoffs, is iron sharpens iron. By getting every ones best effort this year, they are facing that iron sharpening iron every single week. Injuries have played a part in the "struggles" that have plagued them this year. That is allowing the newer depth to get valuable playing time.

Enjoy the ride boys and girls. It is a long season and there are bound to be ups and downs. This is a well coached team with a strong core of championship players. They are the youngest team to ever win a SB. Repeating won't be easy, but its fun to watch the attempt. There is still lots of football left to be played this year. And probably even better is that there is still lots of football to be played in the future with this young championship core!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u772fczv said:
........... The NFL is a week to week league. You have no idea who's going to be good in two weeks with how quickly players get injured.
The San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots agree with you (for obviously opposite reasons).

Nice post Vetamur. Thanks.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Great thoughts Vet and put together well.
I'm staying positive too.
Thanks for the post, it's nice to see some happy stuff mixed in with the gloom and doom.
:{)

I'm a homer and don't care if it hair lips the Governor.

ivotuk

Reaction score
If it hadn't been for some sloppy special teams play (by people who had never played there before), it wouldn't have been this close.

Having said that, I hope they take Kam Chancellor off of Special Teams. He needs to focus his mind and body on defense only.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Best post of the year!!!! Thanks for the sanity Vetamur. :th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Thanks, Vetamur. I needed this optimism. And I agree with you.

Hawks have always played poorly in the 2nd quarter of the season. Every single year under Carroll. This isn't new.

The team is going to get a lot better in the next 2 months.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Vet, I agree completely with you. That was a well written concise post that all the Nellies need to read.

This year's team is of course different from last year's, they can be just as successful. It will just be different and naturally dependent upon all sorts of things and being healthy at the right time is one of those things. But for one game the team was never out of a good shot of winning in any of the three losses and specific recognizable failings that are correctable were the root cause in each loss.

For the past nine years I've grumbled about the OLine and the pass rush. Last year the team fixed the pass rush and survived an awful OLine, the reward was a Lombardi. So far this year the pass rush has underachieved, and the team misses the strong play a few dearly departed players gave the collective DLine results. The team has not found an interior pass rusher capable of moving the QB effectively towards the exterior pressure which has been close but not quite there in any reliable way. Sadly the OLine has been worse than last year too and games are usually won up front. How RW has not been hurt is a mystery to me but he seems pretty good at protecting himself when the OLine doesn't.

The constant drumbeat of Bevell sucks, etc. fails to take into consideration the team has 3/5 of the starting OLine out or limited or the key missing pieces. Some of our backups are not quite as good as the player(s) they replace. Maybe they will become as good or as capable but the missing % is the difference in each case. Creating consistent O with little protection is not easy.

If there is anything that's irritates me more it's the same mistakes being made game upon game. Somehow there seems to be something lost in translation in terms of raw execution. Perhaps they will fix the mistakes but you can bet Pete is talking to them about them. This is still a very good team with very solid depth, we all need to be patient and watch the youth develop on the roster while waiting for the injured players to return.

Thanks again for your post. Of course I'm a homer but I'm proud of that fact.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Great post!

I felt similarly on Monday and posted this in another thread:
HawkAroundTheClock":278z6uv4 said:
I think we're going to see the more hard-hitting, ball-hawking defense we're used to with a healthy Lane, Kam, and Hill, as well as depth guys like Jeron. With the eventual additions of Maxwell and Wagner, we should hit full-steam right in time to pummel our divisional foes. That's gonna be fun.

Plus, the guys who stepped up and got valuable reps while squeaking us through these tense games will be resting up, prepping, and learning from their experiences. Coyle, Burley, Shead, and Pierre-Lewis will be good to go if they are needed in a crucial moment.

This season is so alive. It's just getting really interesting. The team isn't going to align all at once, but it's about to start kicking ass. Enjoy the show.

:snack:

Regarding the remaining the weeks...
Vetamur":278z6uv4 said:
Guys, this year is a slog.. no easy sledding. But it actually is working out well. We hated the early Bye but it ended up being the best thing for a team after 3 early brutal games..and we have that tough last 6 game gauntlent right when we want it, when we will be getting healthier.
I think we're seeing the coaching staff cleverly manage the schedule a bit, too. The way Kam and Max could have played, but we're looking for long-term fixes as opposed to temporary gains. Fingers crossed that when all these starters come back they do so fully healed and in top form. Can't wait!

themunn

Reaction score
Put it this way, if Romo doesn't sidestep two would-be sacks and throws an off-balance pinpoint accurate sideline throw to 1st down marker on a 3rd and 20 which is followed up by a spectacular tip-toe catch by Williams, we'd be 6-2 right now.

If the Rams actually had something to play for and made the sane choice of punting on 4th down OR we come up with the loose ball following the fumble, we'd be 7-1.

That's how close this season has been. And yes, you can make the same examples for our wins too probably (though they don't stick in my mind quite as much), but it's the same for every team.

That's enough for me to keep my optimism

byau

Reaction score
Vetamur":3qshxofz said:
The offensive line was weak. And if it wasnt wouldnt you have been astounded? A 2nd year player who went undrafted played left tackle. A guy who used to play tight end took over at left guard. A guy not on the team a few weeks ago was at center, and when they need "stability" they turned to a guy for 18 or so plays who was brought in to play a different position. Right guard Sweezy is still just in his 3rd season playing on offense and the right tackle is a rookie. So..yea. With that line we won a game. And o line often gets help from tight end but our best blocking TE, the human utility knife Miller, was out. Yes, we through in another o lineman to make up for that, but how is that for tipping your hand?

And ... Bringing in your second string center Stephen Schilling to play center to "calm down the O-line". Moving your 3rd string center Gilliam down the line to another position.

Game experience builds you so thinking this will help the depth for future games. Great post

Largent80

Reaction score
A lot of people have forgotten that we won 8 games last year by 7 or fewer points.

I liked the write up Ross.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1nh73yi6 said:
A lot of people have forgotten that we won 8 games last year by 7 or fewer points.

I liked the write up Ross.

Agreed. Good perspective. We've slogged through the first half of this season and still have our chin up.
All of the injuries, player moves and rotations have provided a lot of good experience to both players and coaches.
And now we're getting healthy again, and at the right time.

Homer optimism is a good thing. :D