Russell Wilson

Largent80

Reaction score
He is ....Russell Wilson.

He is his OWN player. He is everything and none of the above all combined.

kidhawk

Reaction score
El Caliente":2nwlqz4l said:
Would you consider Wilson to be a qb like Manning, Brady, and Brees or a qb like Vick, Newton, and RG3?

For reference:

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/new-e ... FlOzb5Z_0c

I think he is a pocket guy that can run, others think he is run first. As a fan of a team that watches him every day, what is he?

He's neither a pocket passer or a run first type quarterback.

Wilson does 3 things for the most part:

1) He can drop back and make the quick pass to the hot read

2) He can keep the ball on a zone read and run it.

3) He can roll out and look for receivers and then if there is room to run and no open receivers he can and will run it.

You get a mix of the three above for the most part. These are not in any type of order, this is just a random list. If we were to put them in order of frequency, his zone read runs would be the least frequent. The most would be between handing the ball off and rolling out to pass, followed by pocket passing somewhere in between.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the problem with fans, media people and even so called "NFL experts" such as coaches, GM's and scouts with Russell is they try to hard to put him in a box.

Is he a drop back QB? Is he running QB, is he a hybrid or is he a "duel threat" as this fan is pigeon holing him as.

He's all of the above, and that freaks people out.

HawkWow

Reaction score
El Caliente":bcgmhkec said:
Would you consider Wilson to be a qb like Manning, Brady, and Brees or a qb like Vick, Newton, and RG3?

For reference:

I think he is a pocket guy that can run, others think he is run first. As a fan of a team that watches him every day, what is he?

RW reminds me on none of those guys. With all respect to your question OP, Better examples could be used. OTOH, perhaps you're wanting to compare him only to active QBs (?).

He's smarter with the ball than Griffin

I see almost zero similarities between he, Brady, Manning and / or even Newton, though Newton is clearly trying to emulate Wilson these days.

He is a far better thrower than Vick ever was and certainly not as reckless (see RG3)

That leaves Brees but RW doesn't have the *pocket awareness Brees has, though he is more dangerous with his legs

* This isn't a knock on RW. Brees has been around for quite a bit longer and gets better protection as well.

I think it is very difficult to categorize Wilson at this stage considering he deals with a different O-line almost weekly and perhaps to a lesser extent, the same can be said about his TEs and WRs.

I can only picture what Wilson would be with a bevy of weapons and more consistent line play. The picture that keeps popping up for me is Steve Young. Under those conditions, I can't think of a better comparison than Steve Young.

pehawk

Reaction score
His best comparison is Big Ben, actually IMO. I know on its surface that seems crazy, but, they both scramble and create with an eye downfield. They just do it differently.

kearly

Reaction score
I always liked Steve Young as a comp.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":66yuw4ts said:
His best comparison is Big Ben, actually IMO. I know on its surface that seems crazy, but, they both scramble and create with an eye downfield. They just do it differently.

That's just wacky as hell, Pe. So wacky that it makes sense. Certainly one has to just totally disregard the huge size differences (and personalities), but once past that, I see where you are going with this.

Both men move around almost radically behind the line, sometimes without apparent rhyme or reason, but both men also constantly keep their eyes downfield and frequently make chicken soup outta' what appeared to be chicken poop.

Both men are also ridiculously hard to bring down and surprisingly for the same reason...both are just incredibly strong men.

Unsure between the two which deserves more praise based on these similarities. But since I love RW and hate Ben, I will say RW. Keepin' it simple.

HawkWow

Reaction score
You know, I've used the Staubach comparison before and agree with you. But like Young, it's just so hard to compare RW to Staubach without the supporting cast. The Tarkenton comparison is legit as well, but I think it might be a bit skin deep. Both men scramble(d) like maniacs, and also made / make plays with their arms, but while I was very young when Tark was doing his thing, I just think RW has the better arm. Am I wrong on this?

I spent my childhood in Packer land, so saw more Roger than I would have liked to have seen. But to the younger guys in this forum, that actually care about such things, I'd really encourage them to dig up footage on Roger Staubach. He was incredible and very similar to RW both on and off the field.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Retro....I said Sammy Baugh earlier but really meant Otto Graham. Fran Tarkenton would be the closest....in today's game probably Drew Brees.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Of todays mold hes more like Aaron Rodgers, albeit a poor mans version as a passer but much better as a scrambler/runner. You cant hold Wilson down because he can beat you in too many ways.

That said, if he loses a wheel his career as an elite quarterback is over.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkWow":yizmkoev said:
El Caliente":yizmkoev said:

For reference:

RW reminds me on none of those guys. With all respect to your question OP, Better examples could be used. OTOH, perhaps you're wanting to compare him only to active QBs (?).

He's smarter with the ball than Griffin

I see almost zero similarities between he, Brady, Manning and / or even Newton, though Newton is clearly trying to emulate Wilson these days.

He is a far better thrower than Vick ever was and certainly not as reckless (see RG3)

That leaves Brees but RW doesn't have the *pocket awareness Brees has, though he is more dangerous with his legs

* This isn't a knock on RW. Brees has been around for quite a bit longer and gets better protection as well.

I think it is very difficult to categorize Wilson at this stage considering he deals with a different O-line almost weekly and perhaps to a lesser extent, the same can be said about his TEs and WRs.

I can only picture what Wilson would be with a bevy of weapons and more consistent line play. The picture that keeps popping up for me is Steve Young. Under those conditions, I can't think of a better comparison than Steve Young.

Agreed you know it is funny I watched the INdy game last night and the amount of time he had to throw is mind boggling, add to that the number of wide open guys he had and the plays his Wr and TE made is interesting as heck. II mean could you imagine if Rw had that oline (8th in pass blocking) and those wr (#7 wr corps). We have seen what Rw ha done with our Wr when given time, now imagine even more time and better WR. WOW.

lobohawk

Reaction score
kearly":2i5ejwn0 said:
I always liked Steve Young as a comp.

This is the best comparison. A little heavier on the run and less the pass at this point in his career. Will change in the other direction as he gains more experience. He does plenty of standard dropbacks for throws, but people remember his scrambling more.

People forget that at Wisconsin he lead the country in passer efficiency (same year as RG3 and Luck), while putting up good total yards and y/att.

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate ▾
225 309 72.8 3175 10.3 11.8 33 4 191.8

Abach

Reaction score
BlueBlood":33q5omf6 said:
Of todays mold hes more like Aaron Rodgers, albeit a poor mans version as a passer but much better as a scrambler/runner. You cant hold Wilson down because he can beat you in too many ways.

I think this is a disservice to Aaron rodgers... unless it's an extremely poor version. 113.6 qb rating, 262 yd/game, 68% completion percent vs 93 qbr, 208 yd/game, and 63% completion percent.

Anthony!

Reaction score
BlueBlood":24fis62g said:

The question is would he be a poor mans version if he had the GB WR who are a top 5 wr corps, and pass happy offense? Answer probably not, he would probably be right up there in all the stats.

I some times think some people forget how much Rw has against him

Oline is bad and has been for over 2 years.
WRs are at best a bunchy of #2 and you could argue only one of them is a #2 and maybe a #3, lack of making plays .
Run orientate offense.
Less room for mistakes, meaning if you through the ball 25 times and you start 1-10 you have to go 15-15 to get to 16/25 and 64%. If you through 25 times and start 1-10 you can go 22-25 for 23/35 and get to 63%. Less throws means less room for error.
Mostly only allowed to use half the filed-form the hash to the sideline both sides. We do not run a lot of routes in the middle. Why to risky for PCs low risk offense.
Play calling is awful, route trees are high school type.
scripted plays are always bad and it is not till they are done when we start doing anything.

Not excusing his poor play last week, but that is a lot to overcome and he does it most games and then some, but eventually it catches up to you. Every top QB needs help and he has less around him then most of the top QBs

Vetamur

Reaction score
I think the closest really is Steve Young.. after that would be Jim Zorn and Fran Tarkenton, but they ran tons but mostly behind the line of scrimmage.. a lot has been made, rightly, of how much Wilson keeps his eyes downfield even when running..those two were even more so..

Anthony!

Reaction score
Abach":1obihp1b said:
BlueBlood":1obihp1b said:

I think this is a disservice to Aaron rodgers... unless it's an extremely poor version. 113.6 qb rating, 262 yd/game, 68% completion percent vs 93 qbr, 208 yd/game, and 63% completion percent.

That is true but 2 games ago Rws stats were better than Rodgers, why Rodgers had his bad game or 2. I am guessing by end of season they will be close, and of course if he had Rodgers WRs and offense I am sure they would be really close. I mean Nelson is way better than anyone we have, and the play calling and route trees are great.