OL on the Fly!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Largent80":33eeq0fy said:
And someone actually started a fire Cable thread.

Yup...I did which started as a jest but there were some good discussions in the thread. Could it be because the OL isn't all that great even when the starters are playing?

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, you didn't see jackasses pulling wagon trains.

You don't play a 4th string center (whom you had previously cut), a converted TE and undrafted T on the line in an emergency and expect miracles. Not to mention a rookie on the other T spot.

Jville

Reaction score
The Raider game was a terrific learning experience. It will pay dividends.

My advise is to save that game tape. And .... let the chronic critics wallow in their ignorance. This is shaping up to be an entertaining and instructive 2014 season ...... priceless!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'd like to know what the numbers are on other teams for amount of injuries across the line. It seems we deal with so many injuries on the line every year. Also doesn't help when we have multiple projects/conversions as well

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2jvscekg said:
Largent80":2jvscekg said:

Yup...I did which started as a jest but there were some good discussions in the thread. Could it be because the OL isn't all that great even when the starters are playing?

Our line was barely above average run blocking and abysmal pass blocking when healthy..........so to even direct a little blame at Cable over how bad they are now is ridiculous to me.

Now maybe Cable gets some of the blame for influencing Pete and John into drafting some of these guys. Word is that he's why we have guys like Carp, Sweezy and Britt. Because they were "Cable type players." Mean, nasty, tough, etc. when there were more athletic and technically sound players available.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l0mbcuv said:
hawkfan68":1l0mbcuv said:
Largent80":1l0mbcuv said:

Our line was barely above average run blocking and abysmal pass blocking when healthy..........so to even direct a little blame at Cable over how bad they are now is ridiculous to me.

Now maybe Cable gets some of the blame for influencing Pete and John into drafting some of these guys. Word is that he's why we have guys like Carp, Sweezy and Britt. Because they were "Cable type players." Mean, nasty, tough, etc. when there were more athletic and technically sound players available.
Can't forget Moffitt either...damn what a waste

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":puo78doc said:
hawkfan68":puo78doc said:
Largent80":puo78doc said:

I've never been a fan of Cable. Didn't like the hire in the first place. So I'm not just blaming him now. That's neither here or there now. It was the weakest part of the team when Cable was hired and it still is the weakest area of team now. Now Cable isn't the only one to blame, PC/JS also share some of blame too. Hopefully the team improves in the OL area and it becomes a strength of the team in future.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":cgonwla1 said:
I've never been a fan of Cable. Didn't like the hire in the first place. So I'm not just blaming him now. That's neither here or there now. It was the weakest part of the team when Cable was hired and it still is the weakest area of team now. Now Cable isn't the only one to blame, PC/JS also share some of blame too. Hopefully the team improves in the OL area and it becomes a strength of the team in future.

I like Cable, I think he's one of the best line coach's in the league, and has been for a long time.

But IMO it's also been a detriment to the Hawks because it appears the O-line is a unit that Pete and John think they can save money and high draft picks on BECAUSE they have Cable.

Too many times they've traded down to get more picks in lieu of taking good O-lineman (and other players) because of Pete, John and Cable's track record of finding gold at the bottom of the draft. But this hasn't really worked well with the O-line.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I agree with Largent. It's almost like they say well we have Russell who can magically evade tacklers so we really don't need pass blockers we need nasty guys who like to make contact and run block. Cable doesn't play the game, you can only teach so much at some point players have to play.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We are #1 in rushing YPC; #2 in rushing YPG (behind only Dallas's highly praised line).

Just FYI for Cable haters.

Largent80

Reaction score
Most of the "better" lines had high picks and to get those you have to suck. we haven't sucked, plus Moffitt didn't work out. The rest of our linemen were undrafted or late picks. The lone 1st rounder is Okung and much has been written about him.

It is hit and miss, just as with all the positions. Remember the previous O-Line coaches we had?.....Supposed Alex Gibbs gurus that were going to wave their magic wands and make miracles happen? Well, they never did.

Hence the Cable signing. Look what he did last year with all those injuries. I personally am glad we have him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2p43iu04 said:
. The lone 1st rounder is Okung and much has been written about him..

Carp was 1st round.

But again he was another "Can't believe the Hawks reached" type pick. Which means he was a Cable guy, as opposed to warranting a 1st round selection.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vyao6zm said:
Largent80":1vyao6zm said:

Carp was 1st round.

But again he was another "Can't believe the Hawks reached" type pick. Which means he was a Cable guy, as opposed to warranting a 1st round selection.

That's a tad intellectually dishonest. It's not a secret the Seahawks desperately attempted to trade down.

And, is Carpenter a good run blocker? Yes, yes he is. So, he's doing what he was drafted for.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Tom Cable fan, but with that much turnover on the O-line you can see why the team is having so many issues with getting the offense on track.

I would guess the team has some things to think about along the offensive line in the offseason. With so many guys injured along the O-line over the last 2-3 years (Okung, Unger, Carpenter, Jeanpierre, a 6th round pick this year in Garrett Scott among others who are not even on the team anymore) and I can't imagine the organization not doing a major makeover of the O-line (starters and backups) over the next two years. It would just do wonders for this offense if they could keep most (like 4 or at worst 3) of the starting O-line on the field at most times. Oh well, not every year can be like last year or 2005.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2pq9n38l said:
Sgt. Largent":2pq9n38l said:
Largent80":2pq9n38l said:

Carp was 1st round.

That's a tad intellectually dishonest. It's not a secret the Seahawks desperately attempted to trade down.

And, is Carpenter a good run blocker? Yes, yes he was. So, he's doing what he was drafted for.

He's a good run blocker now that he finally got his poop together physically, but for the first 3 years? That's debatable...........and as a 1st rounder most people expected more. Thus the "reach" consensus.

Largent80

Reaction score
I forgot about Carpenter. So?...he has been on the underhalf of performance his whole time here. He actually played like a Carp, which as we all know....Sucks.