Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This may sound like sacrilege to many to the 9th degree, but it has been a question that has been nagging at the back of my mind for awhile. Wilson is going to due a huge pay day soon somewhere in the range of 120 million dollars. He is going to be one of the best, if not the best paid Quarterback in the NFL. This means the roster is going to have to undergo a serious makeover. No longer can we have big free agent acquisitions, this contract will certainly mean letting go of a few contributors on our team at this moment. We won the superbowl last year largely to a team that was good in all phases of the game. We can no longer count on that to be the case in the future, as we're already starting to see this season.

In lieu of the looming future the question I'm asking myself is: Can Wilson carry the team, can he be that elite QB that can carry the team on his back. If we re-sign him Wilson is going to have to shoulder a much larger burden, as it is going to cost the team in a few extra areas.

Russell Wilson is a good Quarterback, certainly better than the washed up Hasselbeck, the Flynns, TJs, and Whitehursts of this world. I have my doubts though as to whether he can transcend his point guard Quarterback status.

Tical21

Reaction score
sorry man, but I think a bunch of us are pretty exhausted from the intense debate we got into about two weeks back on this. I'll save you the trouble. Yes he is, and most here would write him a blank check.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a young, athletic franchise QB with the work ethic of Peyton Manning that's already won a Super Bowl.

LET HIM WALK!!! We'll find another replacement easily. Every single other NFL team that signs their franchise QB as soon as they can, because it's so incredibly difficult to find one, is missing the boat.

These guys grow on trees. Grab another in the 3rd this year. Should be easy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Before RW was in Seattle, Pete described his dream QB as a point guard.

Russ ain't going anywhere. Whatever changes there will be because he gets the loot, get used to and ready for them.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
You kind of answered your own question. We either resign him or hand the reigns over to the likes of TJack/Flynn/Whitehurst.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yes, of course. The FO's responsibility is to keep a good team around him, not to blindly assume he can do everything himself. Denver spent wisely and loaded up. New England has done a good job of using its resources, even with Tom counting heavy against the books for the last decade.

It's too easy to waste an entire roster of talent without a viable QB. Ask the Texans about that. You don't drop one if you got it. Even above-average QBs get paydays and that's not because every GM in the league is a moron. The position is that important.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Look at how many games he's won in the 4th quarter. Many times, he HAS carried the team.

No, he doesn't put up the same stats as the "elite" QBs, but most of those guys either have a lot more time in the league, or have a lot more weapons around them.

Not a lot of them can make plays by themselves if need be. Wilson can. I don't think any QB is worth the max contracts they are getting, as it bleeds the team out, but he should get paid well.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think too many people forget that we have quite a large jump in the cap coming to help keep a solid team around Wilson. Add to that the fact that we locked up guys like Baldwin, Thomas, Sherman and Chancellor already and we're fairly solid. Having the rookie cap is a lot of help in this area as well, because we can get a few good bargains in the mix of things to keep the numbers realistic.

JS has said multiple times that they have a long term plan and you can bet they budgeted Wilson into it. We'll be fine cap wise

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
I think the OP needs to go back and look at the first 2.5 years of production for P. Manning, Brady, Rodgers (who sat behind Favre for years so wasn't thrown into the fire), Drew Brees, etc and rethink his position.

The expectations of Wilson at this point are patently ridiculous. He matches up favorably to all of those guys in their first few years from a numbers standpoint. If you want to compare year 3 of RW to year 10 of Manning or Brady you just further cement that the expectations are completely out of whack.

You pay the man like the franchise QB he is on the path to becoming.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't think paying Wilson means all paid talent has to go, but I might consider franchising him after his contract is up and not extending him as soon as he is eligible. If Pete and John are here he gets extended, if a new coach is here maybe he slow plays the commitment to Wilson because he wants a gunslinger who plays out of the pocket?

All that opined, yeah you extend him.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Yes can we extend him to 6'4" or maybe 6'5" that way we wont have to hear about him being short. :sarcasm_off: In the meantime the man has earned the money. What other Qb can he be replaced with that you propose to draft?

kpak76

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3kra1ghf said:
This may sound like sacrilege to many to the 9th degree, but it has been a question that has been nagging at the back of my mind for awhile. Wilson is going to due a huge pay day soon somewhere in the range of 120 million dollars. He is going to be one of the best, if not the best paid Quarterback in the NFL. This means the roster is going to have to undergo a serious makeover. No longer can we have big free agent acquisitions, this contract will certainly mean letting go of a few contributors on our team at this moment. We won the superbowl last year largely to a team that was good in all phases of the game. We can no longer count on that to be the case in the future, as we're already starting to see this season.

In lieu of the looming future the question I'm asking myself is: Can Wilson carry the team, can he be that elite QB that can carry the team on his back. If we re-sign him Wilson is going to have to shoulder a much larger burden, as it is going to cost the team in a few extra areas.

Russell Wilson is a good Quarterback, certainly better than the washed up Hasselbeck, the Flynns, TJs, and Whitehursts of this world. I have my doubts though as to whether he can transcend his point guard Quarterback status.

Trying to get your post count up? I see no other reason for you wanting to post this thread.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like the topic, though I doubt this discussion will stay civil in all quarters, but it shouldn't be a long discussion just due to the 100% chance, IMO, that this deal will get done.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is a question that would be a lot more legitimate to ponder about without the upcoming salary cap increase. I'm all for making RW one of the top paid QB's and a Seahawk for life. The kid is damn special.

I didn't scoff at the question itself though; we ARE a team built around strong defense and a strong run game. It's totally fine to wonder whether 20+ million against the cap per season could be spread out in another way and offer more to the table than one player.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I'd re-sign Wilson in a heartbeat. In a half-heartbeat. If there's anything quicker than a half-heartbeat, I would do it. You just can't build an offense without Wilson and Lynch.

Is this really a question or a dumb 49er troll?

If I asked the question should Kaepernick get extended in 49er forums, I would get killed.