Wilson leads league in 3rd Down Rushing Yards

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000423572/mindblowing-stats-for-week-10-of-the-2014-season[/urltargetblank]

This was actually a pretty interesting little read. Here's the bit on Wilson.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson has 158 rushing yards on third down, which is the most in the NFL among all players and 41 more yards than the next player on the list, Arian Foster (117).

Not only does he lead the league in rushing yards on 3rd down, he leads by quite a large margin.

Another couple of stats I found interesting were the number 1 red zone defense in the NFL and the number 2 red zone offense in the NFL (I think it's no surprise that the Broncos were number one in Red Zone offense)

Cartire

Reaction score
Im not going to look it up, but I question the #2 red zone offense stat.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1raqd2hz said:

It's by percentage, so they probably just haven't been there as often

Reaction score
Cartire":crpfgqjl said:

If you figure based on the amount of times that we score ANY points, I actually believe the stat is true. I remember hearing that up until a few weeks ago we were the only team in the NFL that had scored some form of points on EVERY Red Zone possession. If you look at ONLY TD's though, we are towards the bottom of the league (#25. We settle for Field Goals FAR too often)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":26vkvmdz said:
Cartire":26vkvmdz said:

If you figure based on the amount of times that we score ANY points, I actually believe the stat is true. I remember hearing that up until a few weeks ago we were the only team in the NFL that had scored some form of points on EVERY Red Zone possession. If you look at ONLY TD's though, we are towards the bottom of the league (#25. We settle for Field Goals FAR too often)
Hmm, so it's better to not score any points with Field Goals if we can't get the points with TD's?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
jawilljr":3l8t6dud said:
Cartire":3l8t6dud said:

They are right:

NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only)

But they are dead last in red zone attempts per game:

NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game

Don't know where you got the idea that they are last in red zone attempts per game.

Seattle is 5th in team red zone scoring attempts, they are probably last in actual scoring of TD's in the red zone percentage or bottom 10.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our offensive drives are very feast-or-famine. They were last year, too. We almost always either get stopped miles short of the red zone, or get into it deeply.

Treghc

Reaction score
A lot of people are getting confused by this saying:

Another couple of stats I found interesting were the number 1 red zone defense in the NFL and the number 2 red zone offense in the NFL

It's the "were" part they're thinking OP actually meant "we're" when he said it just right. He's not referring to the Seahawks at that point in the post, but actually pointing out that the Raiders are #2 in red zone TD percentage.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wilson's stat doesn't surprise me at all. Most teams don't run the ball on 3rd down, and if they do, it's typically 3rd and short, and the DL is stacked to stop an obvious run.

Seattle typically has the field spread out on 3rd, so Wilson has more room to run.

And yea, the were/we're got me for a minute as well.

byau

Reaction score
Just heard a stat on ESPN Football Today. Antonio Brown has 71 catches this year. The entire Chiefs receiving corps has 69 catches

And the Chiefs receiving corps have yet to have a receiving touchdown this year.

And to keep it Seahawks related:

NFL Yards Per Carry Average Leaders
* To qualify, a player must have at least 6.25 attempts per team's games played

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... ushAttempt

rushingyardspercarry.jpg

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is also 17th in converting third downs through the air.... Behind Geno Smith.

Exittium

Reaction score
When your running for your life, such as Wilson does.. it makes sense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Impressed with the legs, grit and determination of Russ, but somehow I don't think this is the stat Pete, Bevell and Cable were hoping for.

We were led to believe this year's plan was to go away from the read option and / or to put the reigns on Wilson's running (to preserve him). Now it's like we have absolutely no choice. If Wilson doesn't close out games with his legs, chances are very good we lose.

The blunders leading up to this are many, too many to go into here (again), but the offense is looking more sandlot than ever and someone (take your pick) should be held accountable. Love watching the kid run the ball but our return to mediocrity is just a play away. A 3rd down play away, most likely.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
HawkWow":yyxxqxm9 said:
Impressed with the legs, grit and determination of Russ, but somehow I don't think this is the stat Pete, Bevell and Cable were hoping for.

We were led to believe this year's plan was to go away from the read option and / or to put the reigns on Wilson's running (to preserve him). Now it's like we have absolutely no choice. If Wilson doesn't close out games with his legs, chances are very good we lose.

The blunders leading up to this are many, too many to go into here (again), but the offense is looking more sandlot than ever and someone (take your pick) should be held accountable. Love watching the kid run the ball but our return to mediocrity is just a play away. A 3rd down play away, most likely.
Wilson wouldn't have to use his legs so much if he didn't hold onto it as long as he does. Our offensive line is very, very bad, but Russ does not do them any favors.

sutz

Reaction score
Not too surprised by the Wilson 3rd down rushing stat. After all, we seem to have a lot of 3rd and long situations, where the defenders are being pulled deep by the WRs trying to get to the sticks. That leaves a lot of room underneath that Russ can exploit if he breaks contain. Since he's faster than linemen and most LBs, he gets good yardage before he has to slide or get OOB.

Agreed, though, it's not a good thing that we seem to rely on this too much.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":recnlkiv said:
HawkWow":recnlkiv said:

Wilson wouldn't have to use his legs so much if he didn't hold onto it as long as he does. Our offensive line is very, very bad, but Russ does not do them any favors.

Then your pick (per my post) would be Wilson. Not my 1st pick, but I'm not saying I disagree with you, either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
HawkWow":cp7waiz7 said:
Spin Doctor":cp7waiz7 said:
HawkWow":cp7waiz7 said:

Then your pick (per my post) would be Wilson. Not my 1st pick, but I'm not saying I disagree with you, either.
I think that they are both to blame. A QB that holds onto the ball for a long time makes things much harder on the line, especially an inexperienced one. On the other hand our line is clearly not playing well. I'm seeing far too many blown assignments, and far too many instances of individuals losing one on one match-ups. It is a symbiotic relationship, both are feeding into one another.

chris98251

Reaction score
Teams get push up the middle, that forces our situation to happen where Russell leaves the pocket,additionally empty backfield just turns the green light on and no play action when we do doesn't give any read time for the defense they just run blitz the gaps without worry.

The difference between us and the Saints with Brees.

It's also why Lynch has contact and yards after contact, if he can get thru the first wave we see the Beast.