JLaff's Hawks vs Giants Preview

jlaff35

Reaction score
Week 10 is here and the playoff race is starting to take shape. Every game from here on out is crucial. This week, the Hawks welcome in Eli Manning and the Giants to Qwest Field, and if the last couple of meetings tell us anything, it's that Eli Manning is not a fan of playing the Hawks. In last year's 23-0 beat down in the Meadowlands, Eli was picked off 5 times, and in the previous meeting in 2011, Eli saw his potential game winning drive end in the hands of Brandon Browner as he took a deflected pass and raced the length of the field for a game icing touchdown. Of course who can forget the epic game in 2005 in which the 12th Man rose to prominence, where the crowd noise was responsible for 11 false start penalties and Jay Feely missed 3 separate potential game ending field goal attempts. What a game that was....I can still picture Jeremy Shockey's stupid face and his reaction after Feely missed the third one, it was priceless! So for a team that the Hawks really haven't played a ton (this will be the 17th meeting, Giants lead series 9-7), there have been at least some great moments in this series. However, that's all in the past now, so let's take a look at some things to look forward to and watch for in this upcoming game on Sunday and see if the Hawks can make it three in a row vs. the G Men.

When the Giants have the ball

It's not really a secret that the Giants aren't a very good football team. That's not to say they can't pose some problems for us though (see, Raiders). Offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo is very adamant about getting more explosive plays from his offense, so expect to see some shots taken deep. The Giants offense goes as Eli goes, so if we can get to Eli and get him uncomfortable, the game will be easy. If we allow him to get in rhythm and pick us apart on underneath routes, we could be in for a long day. I don't expect the Giants to be able to do much on the ground against Seattle's elite run defense, especially since Rashad Jennings most likely won't play. Andre Williams is a brute, one cut runner, but not somebody we need to worry about. Giants WR Ruben Randle is struggling, no matter how much the Giants want him to be a #1, he just isn't. His counterpart, Odell Beckham on the other hand, is a guy that the Hawks will need to really monitor. Although only a rookie, the kid is a playmaker and an elite athlete. We've seen the Hawks allow Richard Sherman to follow top WR's this year, however I don't think they view Beckham in that light yet. If he starts going off, we could see Sherm switched on to him full time. Tight end Larry Donnell is athletic, and typically does his damage in the red zone. Watch for him to be split out wide in goal line situations as they try to use his athleticism and leaping ability against a Seahawk linebacker. In general, this is an offense that our defense should do very well against.

When the Hawks have the ball

Anyone who watched Andrew Luck and the Colts slice up the Giants defense on Monday Night in New York, has to be licking their chops for our Hawks to get a shot at these guys. Trent Richardson actually was making guys miss, so imagine what Beast Mode is going to do! This is a game where Seattle really needs to impose their will on the Giants and really get back to figuring out who we are on offense. The Giants really shouldn't be able to slow the Hawks down very much in this game, barring some more pre-snap penalties and more huge gain negating holding calls. The Raiders actually did a fairly good job against Lynch last week, at least in the run game, but I don't see the Giants doing as well. They just don't have the personnel. To make matters worse, the Giants just lost their emerging young corner Prince Amukamara to a torn bicep. Amukamara was playing at a Pro Bowl level this year, and losing him leaves a gaping hole in their secondary. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie is still solid on the other side, still one of the fastest corners in the game. I doubt we throw at him a whole lot, but then again why would we with the other inviting options? I see this being a game where Russell Wilson goes 18-25 for 265 yards and 2 scores, and he will add another 45 yards rushing. Lynch will go for 15o total yards and two scores against a defense that is giving up 400 yards per game. In my opinion, this will be the game that sparks the Hawks and gets the momentum going for a huge second half of the season.

Prediction: Seahawks 34, Giants 20. Hawks defense gets 4 sacks and 2 picks.