Good Things, Bad Things

BlueOne

Reaction score
Hello everybody, here is the 2nd edition of Good Things, Bad Things.

Good Thing The Seahawks won today and are 6-3. The Seahawks needed the win today to have any chance to win the division as the Rams shit the bed even vs. Skelton and the Saints shit the bed vs the 49ers.

Bad Thing Wilson looked terrible in the passing game today, as he has for three straight weeks now. Both of his picks ended long drives that should have equaled points, and that's not even discussing the fumble where he was waiving the ball around like a loaf of bread. I still believe in Wilson don't get me wrong, but he needs to start playing better. Some team, some day, is going to guard against the read option and he'll need to throw.

Good Thing Our rushing attack was AWESOME today. Wilson got his yards of course but Lynch just beasted all over the Giants today. I wouldn't be suprised if Lynch had over 100 yards after contact in this game. Holy shit. Moreover, Turbin looked pretty good and Michael looked GREAT running the ball. I sure hope he learns the playbook and how to block because he sure can run.

Bad Thing Our pass rush was pretty week today considering we were at home and the Giants can't run the ball, nor can Eli run, so the D-line only had one thing to really focus on.

Good Thing and Bad Thing Our O-line was terrific today in run blocking. Our O-line was mediocre in pass blocking. Not only were they not great in general, but on 2-3 plays in the 1st half they missed assignments and let people hit Wilson untouched. 2-3 completely whiffed assignments in a half is pretty shitty considering we only tried to throw the ball 10 times or so.

Bad Thing Tharold Simon is super undisciplined. He was ok in coverage and run support which is a good sign when he's not getting penalized, but if he's going to keep getting 2 penalties a game it makes him worthless as a player.

Good Thing Coaching was good today. The challenge was appropriate, I was extremely pleased that Pete decided to go for it on 4th down in the 1st half, that single decision may have kept us in the game.. Who knows what happens if we don't score 7 on that drive. Moreover, the offensive playcalling was pretty perfect, even the plays that didn't work looked like poor execution to me. Getting rid of Harvin has truly improved this offense imo as having him on the team seemed to make the Coaches go full gimmick mode.

Bad Thing More Injuries. Mebane isn't just our best DT, he's our only DT that's even league average. (I'm counting Bennett as a DE). We really need him back. Losing Willson... well losing a player is never a good thing I guess although if he's not on the field to drop the ball maybe it could help...

I only have good things left so...

Remaining Good Things I think Michael Bennett actually had a pretty good game and has been pretty identical all season to his level of play last year. If you're going to complain about pass rush imo place your blame elsewhere. Richard Sherman made a great play on the tip, I know it was the Giant who tipped it to ET but there was blatant OPI on the play as Odell shoved Sherman to the ground and Richard had some great body control to keep his hand in there to contest the pass. Jeron Johnson is a good football player and just light years ahead of Shead. Lockette looks like an NFL WR for the first time this year even though he made a ridiculously silly play crushing P.Rich who was about to catch a first down.

Anyway, that's my thoughts guys, have a good holiday weekend.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bad thing: Bubble screen to Baldwin. This play just does not work for whatever reason. Several of us have theorized that we have a "tell" on this play. Whatever the reason is, the play needs scrapped.

Thanks for the summary man. Russ needs to get his mojo back and soon. Would sure like to see at least a 60/40 run/pass ratio. It would help the defense if we dominated TOP as well.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree with OP post and am just reiterating here...

Good things....Marshawn Lynch and Seahawk run game. WOW!!!!
Gutted out a bad start and beat a team they should.

Bad things.....Lost the turnover battle and the Seahawk secondary looked lost for most of the game. Need to improve there. Little to no pass rush early. Turnovers - really sloppy play. Could have had about 3 more but they got lucky with fumbles in the second half. They lost the turnover battle.

Ugly thing.....Mebane got a hamstring injury. Hopefully it's not too serious. He's extremely vital on the DL. There's just not an adequate replacement on the team for what he does.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The loss of Mebane is huge. He's an elite NT/1 in this league and is the biggest reason why we haven't been getting ran on more especially with Wags and Kam being out.

Really need him back ASAP.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This was the Giants' superbowl. They came with their "A" game but they still ended up losing by 21 points. This is the type of effort the Seahawks have been seeing all season. They need to weather the storm and finish strong....they did that today. Even the so called bad teams are bringing it, can't take plays or games off....none are easy. They're 6-3 and very much in the division title/playoff race.

pehawk

Reaction score
Good thing; letting our run game coordinator do his thing.

Bad thing, the passing game is just beyond badly coached. It's abysmal.

I saw Unger take off down field as Wilson was getting sacked. I'm going to ask someone that watches the all22, but the passing game is so bad, a center rushes downfield. That ones not on Cable. It was a designed pass play, "lol". Routes are pretty much go's or drags.

It's below a HS level schematically on passing plays. It's down right bizzare. I'm at a loss for words.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1xeq8zfe said:

I saw Unger take off down field as Wilson was getting sacked. I'm going to ask someone that watches the all22, but the passing game is so bad, a center rushes downfield. That ones not on Cable. It was a designed pass play, "lol". Routes are pretty much go's or drags.

It's below a HS level schematically on passing plays. It's down right bizzare. I'm at a loss for words.
Hope your mom had a good time man, seriously. Hope the guys at Temple went easy on her as well. :D

Sealake80

Reaction score
Franchise record 350 rushing yards!

Deserves it's own thread really.

Big part of the rushing success... Wilson.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":15ho2ksl said:
pehawk":15ho2ksl said:

Hope your mom had a good time man, seriously. Hope the guys at Temple went easy on her as well. :D

Dom's wife thought she was my GF.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":3of2un4o said:
hawksfansinceday1":3of2un4o said:
pehawk":3of2un4o said:

Dom's wife thought she was my GF.
LMAO! :lol:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":3gad1xpq said:

Not sure if you were using scarcasm here but if not, isn't Cable the OL coach full-time or is he just the OL coach part-time for just the running plays? I don't see how he's excused that a vet center makes this kind of an error. Cable bears some responsibilty for the lack of a good passing game. Plus he's not just an OL coach but also the assistant head coach. http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/tom-cable/16ddd2fc-07d4-4137-9df8-37fc662716ee.

olyfan63

Reaction score
pehawk":6k88ylrs said:

Is that the play that was a screen but a defender blocked the throwing lane and Wilson couldn't get the ball out, and ate the ball with a sack? It looked like the timing was just off. Maybe Wilson saw the OL's getting downfield, knew the timing was screwed, and chose not to throw it to avoid the "ineligible receiver downfield" penatly.

pehawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":2lpvsby3 said:
pehawk":2lpvsby3 said:

Is that the play that was a screen but a defender blocked the throwing lane and Wilson couldn't get the ball out, and ate the ball with a sack? It looked like the timing was just off. Maybe Wilson saw the OL's getting downfield, knew the timing was screwed, and chose not to throw it to avoid the "ineligible receiver downfield" penatly.

Cable is also in charge of the running game.

And no, not the tipped screen. I'm sure it was a screen, but, obviously people we're out of position. From top to bottom the passing game is horrid. From X and O and a execution perspective. They look clueless.

canucklhead

Reaction score
Without a pass rush from the front 4, which was arguably the main thing that took the defense to incredible heights last year, this team is in a lot of trouble.

Fans are forever saying "In today's NFL.....". Well, in todays NFL if you don't pressure the QB without continually having to send 5,6 defenders you're screwed and good QB's will pick you apart. If you expect to challenge for the trophy you have to get through 2-3 high end QB's.