Your Thoughts On Kearse post '14?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Kearse becomes a RFA, right after we win the SB.

Following his entire collegiate career, I didn't expect to see (even) this much Jermaine Kearse at the next level. He presents a quandary for me because I love a Dawg..and an underdog. He doesn't get a lot of targets. He hasn't more than a handful of TDs as a pro and not a lot of catches or yards either.

But right when you thought maybe he'd died, BOOM...there's Kearse for the big play.

He blocks relatively well and his hands (eyes?) improved from his final couple years at the Dub, but what to do with Kearse? There's just something about the guy that makes me want him on our 53. Am I alone in this or do you also think we should look to keep him? I don't imagine compensation for him would be much.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I would give him a 2nd round tender. They could easily move on as Norwood looks like he could fill that role.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largely depends on what we do with the position in the offseason. If they went for a big name via trade/FA, which I firmly believe they will.. then Kearse is very expendable considering Richardson and Norwood's presence.

CdaHawk

Reaction score
I'd hate to see us lose Kearse as he was a big part of the playoff games along with ADB. Baldwin and Kearse were making all the catches while Tate was largely absent in both the NO and SF games.

bandiger

Reaction score
I'd move on unless they get him cheap. He's no replacement to Tate for sure.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think many of us are feeling the same about Kearse. It's like...well hell, he doesn't really do a ton. But then you think about him no longer with us and go...whoa...we can't let Kearse go. That's how I feel at least.

getnasty

Reaction score
He'll be cheap and i think we'll re-sign him. He really needs to be a number 3 and Doug needs to be a 2, both of those guys would look alot better if we had a true number one.

Seafan

Reaction score
He's one of our taller receivers. You can't look at his production without realizing a lot of the drop off has been RW.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
getnasty":1oi39ea2 said:
He'll be cheap and i think we'll re-sign him. He really needs to be a number 3 and Doug needs to be a 2, both of those guys would look alot better if we had a true number one.

Totally agree. Kearse, as hard as it is to imagine, is now the grizzled vet. He's battle tested and a capable 3 or 4. Without drafting anyone else and excluding FA, ideally next year would look like 1) Richardson (?) 2 ) Baldwin 3) Norwood 4 ) Kearse 5) Lockette 6) etc. The great thing about that line-up is all combined, they wouldn't cost much more, if more at all, than Harvin alone.

Good point on his height Seafan. Def a plus.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2tibbxf8 said:
Don't care at all.

Has not risen to the occasion.

Some say the same about Jesus, Hawkstrap...but I know you're not willing to let him go, right?

strohmin

Reaction score
Kearse has made some big plays and most of his drops were tough catches. I would keep him for a reasonable price.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hes a 4th string wr imo. gonna have to sign for cheap. if not norwood or prich will take his job.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ytg0xmz said:
Hawk Strap":2ytg0xmz said:
Don't care at all.

Some say the same about Jesus, Hawkstrap...but I know you're not willing to let him go, right?

Still time in the season yet, HawkWow.

Thine Kearse is a blessing. Upon thouest Hawks shall be another championship.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Cyrus12":18zx4usu said:
hes a 4th string wr imo. gonna have to sign for cheap. if not norwood or prich will take his job.

I'm confident Richardson and / or Norwood will be ahead of him regardless of his contract price, Cyrus. Very different players, Richardson in particular, but in fairness to Kearse...we didn't even spend a pick on him, where some had Richardson graded 1st rd and Norwood as high as 2nd.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":kfet09io said:
HawkWow":kfet09io said:
Hawk Strap":kfet09io said:
Don't care at all.

Still time in the season yet, HawkWow.

Thine Kearse is a blessing. Upon thouest Hawks shall be another championship.

The Reverend Hawk strap. I like it! ; )

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Are we content with he receivers we have? We could use more height. I love the guy to but is he worth the roster spot over a draft pick that may give us something more. I am not sure. We need to improve separation with our receivers and it is just not happening. I think he would go if Pete is looking to upgrade the position and I feel he will after letting Harvin go. Also has anyone else noticed we are not getting many of those jump ball catches like last year? If it was between Bladwin and Kearse I would keep Baldwin.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1ebf4qlo said:
Are we content with he receivers we have? We could use more height. I love the guy to but is he worth the roster spot over a draft pick that may give us something more. I am not sure. We need to improve separation with our receivers and it is just not happening. I think he would go if Pete is looking to upgrade the position and I feel he will after letting Harvin go. Also has anyone else noticed we are not getting many of those jump ball catches like last year? If it was between Bladwin and Kearse I would keep Baldwin.

This FO hasn't done real well identifying WRs (as witnessed in their sheer desperation pick up of "sure thing" Harvin). I think we did well in '14, time will tell, but I don't know how we can justify spending much money or a high pick on another before addressing the problems (I feel) that really ails us. I think we have to move away from the "sexy picks" in '15, in both the draft and FA. No more RBs, no more WRs, IMO. But again, that's just IMO.

Someone is sure to point out this FO doesn't do real well with O-line either, and their point would be most excellent, but I think even if we are forced to resort to darts or a Ouiji board, we have to keep looking for some pass pro inclusive of a stud TE.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":27vga37x said:
getnasty":27vga37x said:

Totally agree. Kearse, as hard as it is to imagine, is now the grizzled vet. He's battle tested and a capable 3 or 4. Without drafting anyone else and excluding FA, ideally next year would look like 1) Richardson (?) 2 ) Baldwin 3) Norwood 4 ) Kearse 5) Lockette 6) etc. The great thing about that line-up is all combined, they wouldn't cost much more, if more at all, than Harvin alone.

Good point on his height Seafan. Def a plus.

You listing the depth chart just shows we need a true #1 WR. I love all five of those guys.. but none of them are #1's ... I don't think any of them are #2's right now. That's why Kearse is expendable IMO.

We need a Dez Bryant/Demaryius Thomas/Julio Jones type. Badly.