Isn't the Seahawks mantra "We reward our own..."?

pehawk

Reaction score
Pete and John have built a very favorable reputation with players around the league for "doing right by" and rewarding their own.

They've did right by Flynn in trading him to a destination which gives him a shot to start. They had an offer for Leon Washington from TB, but desided to release him so he could choose where he wanted to play. Monetarily the Bennett's and Avril's of the NFL agree to play in Seattle on short contracts because they know they'll get rewarded well should they succeed.

It's a brilliant way to turn a usually avoided city for free agency into a premier destination.

So knowing all that... don't the Seahawks have to consider signing Lynch now, or risk losing that hard-earned and valuable reputation? Doesn't not signing him send the wrong message?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2cdi4spp said:
Pete and John have built a very favorable reputation with players around the league for "doing right by" and rewarding their own.

They've did right by Flynn in trading him to a destination which gives him a shot to start. They had an offer for Leon Washington from TB, but desided to release him so he could choose where he wanted to play. Monetarily the Bennett's and Avril's of the NFL agree to play in Seattle on short contracts because they know they'll get rewarded well should they succeed.

It's a brilliant way to turn a usually avoided city for free agency into a premier destination.

So knowing all that... don't the Seahawks have to consider signing Lynch now, or risk losing that hard-earned and valuable reputation? Doesn't not signing him send the wrong message?

I wouldn't be surprised either way this went down. If they extend him, great. Even if they release him for some reason I understand the logic behind this as well. I would of course prefer they extend him though.

Davehawk

Reaction score
I would definitely sign Lynch to a few more years, I love the way he runs. He brings something to this team that no other running back in the league could. He isn't even showing any signs of slowing down either, and he hasn't been plagued by injuries so I would love to see it happen.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think I am still leary because of what happened to Shaun. It's dangerous to sink money into a 30 year old RB with high mileage.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Not signing him is risky on and off the field. My concerns are mostly off the field.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":vw1r9lun said:
I think I am still leary because of what happened to Shaun. It's dangerous to sink money into a 30 year old RB with high mileage.

I thought it was beyond stupid to sign Shaun, but they had to. They had to resign the reigning MVP at that time because the SB had brought on a lot of new fans to the team. And those fans didn't understand it was actually the OLine, not Shaun.

I see the two situations as entirely different.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
If they redid his contract for next year for a payout of around $10M, that would be ok IMO. I don't know the maths behind it since they just did some finagling to pay him more this year.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I will do a backflip(figuratively) if we extend Lynch, but I still think this team moves on without him next year. It makes me quite sad.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Before the season, I expected the Seahawks to move on from Lynch after this year. But watching him play so far this year, I just don't see how they can do it. Unless he starts breaking down and disappearing in the latter half of the season, he's still too valuable a weapon to jettison just because he's on the wrong side of 28. Age doesn't seem to be tackling him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
What chance do you all think they extend him one year on top of next season meaning he's signed through '16 with that season being cap friendly in case of a huge drop off next year making it easier to cut him? Obviously he'd have to be rewarded properly in '15 as in a nice signing bonus or whatever works for both siders.

I think PE's point is a valid one and on top of that, he's still beyond effective. Will that be the case next year? No one knows for sure but it seems to me there has to be a way to keep him and still cover the team's rear end in case his production falls off a cliff.

Mojambo

Reaction score
They sign him to big long money and he goes bad (as almost all normal running backs do at that age) and their championship window slams shut fast and hard.

Having said that, he is NOT a normal running back.

It's a tougher call than a lot of people are thinking.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If you are Pete and John you have to ask yourself "would you want to face Marshawn Lynch on the field"? If (and I am not saying they are) they were so daft as to let him leave and potentially end up on a divisional rivals squad then I think they would be run out on a rail. Unless he truly wants to leave, there is no way in hell you let Marshawn go. Watching Walt get his name in the ring of honor the other day made me wonder what Beast's induction ceremony would look like. :mrgreen:

sturg78

Reaction score
I think we are seeing the clash of two separate mantras. We want to pay our own but we also don't want to value a single person over the team. Pats formula has always been cut them a year or two early to capitalize on the next generation. We may get another few good years but we could use the money to start developing round two. It's a tricky position for the FO. I don't envy them nor will I dog whatever decision they make. Sometimes there is no clear cut right answer and sometimes the right answer is the toughest to swallow.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2i35offd said:
If you are Pete and John you have to ask yourself "would you want to face Marshawn Lynch on the field"? If (and I am not saying they are) they were so daft as to let him leave and potentially end up on a divisional rivals squad then I think they would be run out on a rail. Unless he truly wants to leave, there is no way in hell you let Marshawn go. Watching Walt get his name in the ring of honor the other day made me wonder what Beast's induction ceremony would look like. :mrgreen:

Ditto...man, I just picture him on that podium. Short speech and all, but him choking up at the love Seattle would give him. Well-deserved. I don't know, I know that you usually cant buck the trend, but it feels like he hasn't put on so much mileage. If anything, he was underused in Buffalo. But I also know that one big injury could change everything in a heartbeat. Here are his stats in case anyone was wondering...I hope he stays. He is 4 TDS away from his all time season record.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,897

edogg23

Reaction score
Lynch is under contract for next year, the seahawks don't need to resign him, they just need to not cut him next year. Why does he need a new contract?

themunn

Reaction score
McGruff":12uujdex said:

Shaun Alexander's contract wasn't that bad - it had some big numbers in it, but only $15m was guaranteed, we kept him for 2 years and then eventually had something like 2.5m dead money when we cut him.

Yes, we paid him a fair whack over those 2 years, but anyone would have. Injury is injury though, it's not that he hit the so-called "wall". Lynch could easily play another 2-3 years at this level unless he gets injured. But then again, injury is a risk with players like Doug Martin and David Wilson too - age has nothing to do with it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That is Pete and John's mantra..........but just ask the current and former players and they'll tell you it should be amended to "we reward our own, as long as it fits in the budget and we think the player is valuable enough."

Golden was our own, Big Red and Clem were our own, Thurm was our own, etc.

But yes, I don't know anyone that doesn't agree with you. If this year has proven anything, it's that this team in it's current state CANNOT win consistently without Marshawn. He's the most consistent player on the team, and the entire identity of the team.

At the beginning of the year when I thought our D was still going to dominate like last year I was OK with letting Lynch go in order to keep some key defensive players. But now? No, we NEED Lynch, we NEED him bad.