Tukuafu Question

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, and maybe someone who has the All-22 view can watch for it in replays, but yesterday, I noticed one play they zoomed in on him pre-snap and his eyes were looking all over the right side of the defense, and not once did they look left. The play went exactly where he was looking. Is this something he does habitually, and can this be a problem similar to a qb staring at his receivers?

2_0_6

Reaction score
I think it might have to do with watching the LB's and who they think will rush and who to hit.

On a side note, that guy is an absolute monster. If I was an opposing defender, I would run the wrong way on purpose.

Cartire

Reaction score
I dont know how well the Defense can see the full backs eyes while in the power I. It was easy for us with a zoomed in a camera angle over Russells shoulder, but I cant imagine the D is focusing on the full backs eyes. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If it was a 'tell', it didn't help. So. Not worried about it.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":bd4xdqw5 said:
If it was a 'tell', it didn't help. So. Not worried about it.

NOTHING was going to help the Giants defense yesterday, but we face some better run defenses down the stretch. I just thought it was odd, because I've seen similar looks on guys like Robinson and they scan the field but their eyes didn't seem so locked in the area they ran to.

It could easily have just been a one-off type of deal and not anything that is habitual. It was just something I'd never really noticed before

m0ng0

Reaction score
I saw that play and as a result watched him the whole way and he just blew up his guy, I hope he sticks since we lost out on Small.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Also he's probably having to think (and therefore look) about the play/his assignments a little more while he's still learning the Seahawks offense and how his teammates react on plays. Little things like that (if they are a problem) should get better as he plays more. He is clearly an asset out there though and a battering ram that Marshawn seems to like running behind. I'm loving the pickup and hope we look at keeping him long term.

byau

Reaction score
I saw it too, the camera zoomed in on two plays like that. Yes, I'd like to say it's a "tell" too. But without seeing the whole field, it's hard to really say.

Anyhow, even if it is, I'm pretty impressed. I finished watching the Oakland game and Tukuafu was there, nothing too super impressive except his size and the potential havoc he could wreak. Against the Giants, he was much more effective and hit some REALLY nice blocks. One run up the left side in the 4th (I think it was) Lynch followed Tuk right through the hole. It was pretty awesome.

And, another impressive play, again don't recall when it happened, I think again the 4th, I-formation fake to Lynch and Lynch followed Tuk and Wilson circled to the right and gained some good yardage. Happened a lot and with defenses needing to focus so much on Lynch, and Lynch + Tuk, it was fairly easy pickings for Russell most of the night (I still wish he didn't have to run so much, but hey if it's there, it's there)

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
kidhawk":rtxkgfq3 said:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, and maybe someone who has the All-22 view can watch for it in replays, but yesterday, I noticed one play they zoomed in on him pre-snap and his eyes were looking all over the right side of the defense, and not once did they look left. The play went exactly where he was looking. Is this something he does habitually, and can this be a problem similar to a qb staring at his receivers?

I saw it. He did glance to his left at least once, maybe even twice, but he was studying the defense to his right like one of them was about to bring him a pulled pork sandwich. I was wondering if he was bluffing or really 'staring down his receiver', and I chuckled when the play went right where he was looking. I was a RB during my playing days. I tried to act and survey the field the same way on every play. When a play was called for me, I would try to appear disinterested and look first toward the opposite side of the field the play was to be run. When I did look at the play side, I again tried to look bored. It seemed like the smart thing to do.

Visors like the one Lynch, LT, and others wear or have worn allow a back to look anywhere he wants without giving any tells. Perhaps Tukuafu could be encouraged to wear one. ;)

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The trick is for him to slowly scan and make eye contact w/ each player, then pop back to one and just lock in the knife eyes, crack a half smile and slowly nod a couple times as if to say "....ohh, yea, you're my huckleberry!"

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anybody has looked at this yet but I feel like Lynch has a significantly higher YPC in single back sets this year, even when we had Coleman. I'm sure the Hawks are keeping tabs closely but may be worth a look from a fan's perspective.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1n3j86js said:
I'm not sure if anybody has looked at this yet but I feel like Lynch has a significantly higher YPC in single back sets this year, even when we had Coleman. I'm sure the Hawks are keeping tabs closely but may be worth a look from a fan's perspective.

It's quite possible. I believe we statistically only use a FB in 1/4 of our offensive plays.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Well in the course of researching that I accidentally stumbled across the following blurb from cover32.

cover32":3t2f8nlz said:
That’s part of the reason Darrell Bevell used Miller as a glorified third offensive tackle on so many snaps. Unfortunately his presence didn’t help out a whole lot. Back in December Pro Football Focus ranked each tight end for their pass blocking effiency last season and Miller came in at number 34 overall. Part of the problem is Miller’s quickness. While he’s certainly got the size of a prototypical tight end (6’5″, 255 lbs) he sometimes has trouble picking up blitzers. That could be part of the reason the Seahawks drafted speed demon Luke Willson last year.

That's right, the Seahawks drafted Luke Willson because Zach Miller is no good at pass blocking. That's enough internet for today.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yes, it is a tell. LB's look for that. The FB is supposed to scan the field evenly. If he does do it all the time, the defenses will quickly pick up on this. Hopefully he or his coaches or somebody can tell him that he is doing it. The scout LB's on our defense would be the only guys that could catch this if they're not told.