We should see creativity from the coordinators...soon

pehawk

Reaction score
Whatever offense was installed in TC is now scrapped. With Percy, the offense relied heavily on his speed and misdirection off of Percy's speed, to set up everything. That was used to negate known disadvantages they'd carry all year at WR and the line's pass protection. The passing game was also heavily reliant on Zach Miller's presence.

I think as a team the Seahawks have decided there's no chance they can develop into a good (or maybe even average) passing game, so, they're going to try and excel at rushing the ball. I think as the year progresses we'll see more creativity out of those RO and power looks and sets. While I'm not a fan of Bevell, at all, it will be fun to see new wrinkles as the weeks progress. I expect some really cool looks...borrowing principles from Saturday football.

On defense, with Mebane out, the Seahawks may find their interior line pressure plummet. If the issue persists, and it's apparent Serena of Lauren cant cut it, expect some scheming utilizing the LB's. Once the LB 's get healthy, they can do some clever things with that group to compensate.

While it sucks for the Seahawks to be in this position forcing creativity, it's pretty cool for us to watch.

I guess there's no point to this post...just rambling.

Largent80

Reaction score
Remember the year we had the opposite problem and Holmy said they were going to be a pass heavy team?

I re-watched the game yesterday and I focused on the line on both sides of the ball. Outside of a small handful of plays the O-Line did pretty damned well in pass blocking. In run blocking with W.T. in there, the line was STOUT.

Bailey has way better footwork and quickness than Carp. Britt is doing pretty well for a rookie, and I saw Okung getting into the 2nd level as well.

It sure wouldn't hurt to try a few plays that nobody has seen, and obviously this "new" offense has had to adapt and we have the team to overcome that.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
IIRC, last year during the first half of the season our offense was rather bland. As the playoffs approached it got more creative. Maybe that is simply Bevell's MO here with the weapons at hand. He knows that they can do some great things, but doesn't want to tip his hand for the final push of the year. I definitely could be wrong, but the next several weeks will be telling. Either way, as you said I'm excited for what is on the horizon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd rather us have the O-line talent to NOT have to be creative, which is what Pete likes to do, impose his will on teams.

So yes, this offense with a below average line and average WR corp is going to have to get creative in order to move the ball, especially against the good defenses we're going to be playing starting Sunday.

IMO Russell has to find it, and find it fast.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2vexxphl said:
IIRC, last year during the first half of the season our offense was rather bland. As the playoffs approached it got more creative. Maybe that is simply Bevell's MO here with the weapons at hand. He knows that they can do some great things, but doesn't want to tip his hand for the final push of the year. I definitely could be wrong, but the next several weeks will be telling. Either way, as you said I'm excited for what is on the horizon.

That is true. However bland I think he is, he does take time to get in a rhythm on gameday and throughout the season. One thing he really excels is the trick play...and we haven't really even seen that this year.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3j29nehu said:
OkieHawk":3j29nehu said:

That is true. However bland I think he is, he does take time to get in a rhythm on gameday and throughout the season. One thing he really excels is the trick play...and we haven't really even seen that this year.

We did see the RW as a receiver play earlier, or have you already forgotten that one? I mean RW is 1/1 receiving this year... :D

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2z5ufu62 said:
pehawk":2z5ufu62 said:
OkieHawk":2z5ufu62 said:

We did see the RW as a receiver play earlier, or have you already forgotten that one? I mean RW is 1/1 receiving this year... :D

Gross

A

Anonymous

I just wanna start seeing mind games getting played that plant questions in the opposing coaches heads.

For example: Jon Ryan, Marshawn, and Hauschka, all throwing passes during warm-ups.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3voyc5i7 said:
I just wanna start seeing mind games getting played that plant questions in the opposing coaches heads.

For example: Jon Ryan, Marshawn, and Hauschka, all throwing passes during warm-ups.

Great point. Got to find a way to get Ryan touches.

King Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jyr2bwil said:
So yes, this offense with a below average line and average WR corp is going to have to get creative in order to move the ball, especially against the good defenses we're going to be playing starting Sunday

You're being quite generous imo with your assessment of the wr group.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
King Dog":2n297tg9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2n297tg9 said:
So yes, this offense with a below average line and average WR corp is going to have to get creative in order to move the ball, especially against the good defenses we're going to be playing starting Sunday

You're being quite generous imo with your assessment of the wr group.

Well I know how sensitive people are around here about buzzwords like "pedestrian" and "average."

If I was in charge, I'd bench Kearse and start Richardson full time. Dude's the most dynamic receiver we have, it's time to play him all the time. It's not like Kearse is amazing at doing all the small things like blocking and route running. He's been terrible this year blocking on screens.

byau

Reaction score
Makes you realize how good Peyton Manning really is. Definitely does not have the greatest arm, but to be able to drop back and release in two seconds because of all your pre-snap reads and audibles and anticipating what the D will bring.

The only time I recall seeing Russell do this is recently is on those screens which so far have only worked once (?) when it was Marshawn and maybe a few times with Percy.

Russell definitely takes time going through his reads after snap. I definitely like the outlet screens to Marshawn as the third or fourth read if the others aren't available.

Anyway, I don't know if for me "creativity" is the right word. if you recall they seemed to try to get very creative with Harvin and it didn't work.

I'd rather they simplify things. If you remember before SB48 the Seahawks were asked if they just kept things the same or if they added, Sherman and others said it was the opposite that in fact they took stuff out and simplified.

Run to set up the pass. That's pretty much it.

One more thing I'd like to see them bring back:

We've already seen the fake handoff plays where Russell peels to the opposite side and has been able to get huge yardage on runs. Do you remember when he used to peel out and wait on running to see if a receiver is available downfield for a long ball? And we'd connect on a few of those? That'd be nice to see come back to as a threat.