Our defense lost this game for us.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We did very little defensively to stop them. The stop at the end was a little to little to late. We need more from them if we are going anywhere this year. Also special teams is letting us down as well. I still think we can rebound and we are better than we played but we need to start do it or we will not even make the playoffs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Can't let them go all the way down the field after they get the lead.
KC's offense is limited, and they gashed us today

hawkfannj

Reaction score
This defense is broken . We ain't going anywhere this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The game was on grass. Go back to 2012 and look at the games we played on grass. We struggled against teams like Miami.

We don't win on grass because our guys are lighter but faster, and faster slows down on grass. Being lighter means we cannot hold ground.

It means that unless we are playing on turf in SF, we are likely losing that one too. If you go back last year, you will see we got fortunate and almost all the away games were on turf.

This team, combined with losing Mebane, after having lost Red and Clemons was simply never going to be able to beat a good team away from the turf. In fact, we have not beaten a single above average team on the road this year.

The game was not lost by the defense, it was lost by the Front Office before the first game kicked off.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be a dozen Bevell threads, but this game was lost on run D. Fairly expected, but it is what it is.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
So what you're saying is you own or have access to a television. Congratulations.

quneur

Reaction score
hawkfannj":53uq4fky said:
Agreed. But I believe Bevell's play calling also cost us in key situations. 4th and goal and a corner pass to Baldwin? I would like to see a designed QB keeper play in those situations.

Smellyman

Reaction score
After the Hawks took the league ant 20-17 the D absolutely pissed it away. It was pathetic

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Malcolm Smith should not be playing at all. He his severe tackling issues have returned and stayed for this entire year. He shouldn't be playing in any aspect of the defense.

Kevin WIlliams is a serviceable 3 tech, but he's an upright player who doesn't play at a decent pad level. It was a coaching decision to play him a lot this week at 1 tech and that is a complete and utter stupid move by the coaching staff. He cannot play the position. Hill is better served playing the majority of those snaps. Obviously no one is Mebane, but Williams shouldn't sniff the position. Not ever.

KJ Wright is obviously playing MLB out of necessity, but he's bad there. He's far to slow for the position and needs to be closer to the sideline to succeed where he doesn't have so much space to cover.

That middle triangle was insanely bad today.

But even then, we had chances to win this game on offense and came up short 3 strait times.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
quneur":3fbk3za9 said:
hawkfannj":3fbk3za9 said:
Agreed. But I believe Bevell's play calling also cost us in key situations. 4th and goal and a corner pass to Baldwin? I would like to see a designed QB keeper play in those situations.

A corner pass to Baldwin with his sun in his eyes even if there was no contact. Literally the only place where the sun was coming in....and that's where we planned to throw the ball.

Bevell's idiocy amazes me. I still actually get surprised at how bad he is.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Going into this game, if you looked at the points scored/points allowed stats, the Hawks' offense was pretty much where they were last year. The Defense, on the other hand, has dropped from 1st to middle of the pack.

The defense falling from elite to average is THE DIFFERENCE in this team this year. That coupled with the injury bug biting the hell out of the squad.

People are getting mad at the offense (and at times for good reason), but the main point is the offense is being asked to play an entirely different game with the defense giving up so much more. Add to that the offense losing it's primary playmakers outside of Lynch. Game, set, match.

The offense isn't good. But it's not the reason this team isn't as great as it was last year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Malcom almost one the game twice for the hawks. Stop on 3rd and goal and stop on 3rd in the endzone almost intercepting it.

Earl and Malcolm came to play

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Smellyman":2yxbube6 said:
Malcom almost one the game twice for the hawks. Stop on 3rd and goal and stop on 3rd in the endzone almost intercepting it.

Earl and Malcolm came to play
Malcolm was a target all game. Shooting a gap with no blocker on him and then batting down a pass doesn't even begin to make up for the visual vomit of a game he had. Horrible tackler and can't take on a block to save his life.

Just getting destroyed like a crash test dummy out there.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The defense was bad. Everyone expected the defense to be bad today, given the injuries and the matchup. Unfortunately our offense isn't good enough to win a game against a good team when the defense struggles.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Smellyman":3eabesvy said:
After the Hawks took the league ant 20-17 the D absolutely pissed it away. It was pathetic

Yet after the last KC score the defense got a couple key stops.

I don't believe the defense lost this game today, it was a total team loss. The defense got gashed by the run (miss Bane badly) but they also got a couple turnovers and gave the offense a couple chances at the end of the game to take the lead. The offense did not take advantage of any of those opportunities.

Offense, Defense, Speciall Teams, Coaches all have a piece of this loss.

firebee

Reaction score
The problem I saw today was gap control. Our guys up front were trying to get the jump, leading to a few defensive offsides, and trying to shoot gaps to make plays in the backfield. Our guys were trying to blow up the backfield, instead of staying in their gaps and controlling them against a run heavy offense, leading to a lot of open running lanes, and they paid for it. I think PC would say something like "We had problems with our run fits." If our defensive front could've maintained gap control and allowed the LOB to leverage the outside, they would've fared a lot better. I was hoping our defense would make that adjustment at halftime, but that didn't happen.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Dam I miss Brandon Browner. He looked great yesterday. How could we let him go? Sherman has regressed this year Imo

evergreen

Reaction score
Don't forget special teams. We rocked on punt returns last year. Tate won that game against TB when he took that punt out of the endzone for 30+ yards. Can you imagine that now? Plus going for it 2x on 4th down instead of 6 points?

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawaiiD":1h1s7ccg said:
Dam I miss Brandon Browner. He looked great yesterday. How could we let him go? Sherman has regressed this year Imo

I miss Browner as well. He also brought a mental toughness and nastiness to our d.