Chime in please - is this not holding?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how this was not called holding on the first KC drive in the redzone? Look at where the Umpire is and his vantage point. How is this not holding? If you see this in motion (not just a few still frames), all I could do was shake my head at this no-call on the first KC drive. Is it legal for an Olineman to grab a defender from behind and impede his progress toward the ball carrier?

Yeah, I agree... Jamaal Charles is awesome and no excuses. But, what do we call this? Are we just supposed to say, "Yeah, the Hawks should be able to fight off a blatant hold like this and make the tackle. Otherwise, they're just not good enough/ the other team is better?" Props to Coach Andy Reid and the Chiefs. They're a good team. Not embarrassed by a tough loss to that team in their house.

With this a tough fought, close back-and-forth game... these sorts of "no-calls" have an impact on the game. I know other no-calls have been mentioned. Overall, I wish the team could have just executed a bit better and come away with the 27-24 victory. But, this team has lost 4 games by an average of 5.5 points (unless some math whiz wants to correct me.) They're battling and in every game.

20141116 132422 zps3f4fe9c9
20141116 132446 zpsabea64bc
20141116 132504 zpsff488516

marko358

Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw a couple of these today. Amazing how our opponent seems to never have an offensive holding penalty when we play them.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Did you notice any non calls for holding on the Hawks?

I don't have screen shots, but I saw some.
Obviously when it's staring you in the face like that, with a zebra appearing to be looking directly at it, it pisses you off.

It does me anyway. But I did see some of the same in our favor.

Abach

Reaction score
Yeah... not sure what that is. I made a post about 5 weeks ago about the penalty numbers, and offensive holding calls are well below previous years'.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pmedic920":1bk5ctu2 said:

Obviously when it's staring you in the face like that, with a zebra appearing to be looking directly at it, it pisses you off.

Not that blatant, no. Of course we watch the game rooting for our team. I get that. But, you can always come back with your approach in your response and suggest it goes both ways. No one is arguing it's completely one-sided. I think you get the point... this is staring the zebra in the face. I'm defending our guys a bit here. How are they supposed to make plays when they are impeded from doing so? I would be all for the zebras calling a blatant penalty against the Hawks. I'm for making the obvious calls they're trained to make. It's never going to be perfect and I don't expect that. But, that's no excuse for missing a call like this... just like the team can't make excuses for the loss. It does go both ways. So, these frames are very relevant. It very well may have affected the outcome of such a close, back-and-forth game.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Though I'm pointing out what was there for all to see with about as blatant a no-call hold on a TD drive that would ever come across the screen... the 2nd half of this article is how I feel about the game. (The first half of this article is complete rubbish/media noise IMO.) I agree with Lynch.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -to-chiefs
Skip down to where Lynch is quoted saying, "I'm upset when I don't get a first down on fourth-and-inches".... and read from there.

Excerpts:
"To be honest, this was a hard-fought game today," Lynch said. "The Chiefs played some real good ball, on offense and defense."
Lynch, however, remained optimistic that the Seahawks can compete for another Super Bowl.
"I don't think there's any problem with what we've got going on," he said. "We've just gotta let it fall and keep fighting. We've got a lot of ball to go.
(yup) These are challenges for us. That's one thing we have been good at, facing the challenges. I think it can be accomplished."

CharlesinCharge25

Reaction score
The refs were equally bad for us also. At least they were consistently bad. There were a few calls. PI on Bowe before halftime, Kelce got held so obvious before half, and the two awful ball spots. One which we had to challenge because it was so blatantly terrible.mgoes both ways.

pmedic920

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2g3u06bj said:
pmedic920":2g3u06bj said:

Not that blatant, no. Of course we watch the game rooting for our team. I get that. But, you can always come back with your approach in your response and suggest it goes both ways. No one is arguing it's completely one-sided. I think you get the point... this is staring the zebra in the face. I'm defending our guys a bit here. How are they supposed to make plays when they are impeded from doing so? I would be all for the zebras calling a blatant penalty against the Hawks. I'm for making the obvious calls they're trained to make. It's never going to be perfect and I don't expect that. But, that's no excuse for missing a call like this... just like the team can't make excuses for the loss. It does go both ways. So, these frames are very relevant. It very well may have affected the outcome of such a close, back-and-forth game.

Nothing wrong with your post IMO and I don't disagree with you. I'm simply stating that we got away with a few too.

firebee

Reaction score
I was very pleased with the officiating. Yes... a lot of missed calls, but they went both ways and I'd rather see the refs let the players play the game and have a lot of non-calls than have a bunch of ticky-tack flag football type calls determine the outcome of a game. Wanna get pissed about a game... Go watch the Cowboys game on rewind. That was a game where the officials were heavily biased in their calls and non-calls against us.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm the most pissed about the obvious illegal contact/PI on ADB in the end zone on an already bad play call as it was.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":rsv1gl1u said:
Can someone explain to me how this was not called holding on the first KC drive in the redzone? Look at where the Umpire is and his vantage point. How is this not holding? If you see this in motion (not just a few still frames), all I could do was shake my head at this no-call on the first KC drive. Is it legal for an Olineman to grab a defender from behind and impede his progress toward the ball carrier?

Yeah, I agree... Jamaal Charles is awesome and no excuses. But, what do we call this? Are we just supposed to say, "Yeah, the Hawks should be able to fight off a blatant hold like this and make the tackle. Otherwise, they're just not good enough/ the other team is better?" Props to Coach Andy Reid and the Chiefs. They're a good team. Not embarrassed by a tough loss to that team in their house.

With this a tough fought, close back-and-forth game... these sorts of "no-calls" have an impact on the game. I know other no-calls have been mentioned. Overall, I wish the team could have just executed a bit better and come away with the 27-24 victory. But, this team has lost 4 games by an average of 5.5 points (unless some math whiz wants to correct me.) They're battling and in every game.

20141116 132422 zps3f4fe9c9
20141116 132446 zpsabea64bc
20141116 132504 zpsff488516

That is egregiously bad. Absolutely unacceptable. I get that officiating is never perfect and the old adage that if you wanted to call holding every play you could is probably true, but something like that with an official staring right at it is just unacceptable. Just blatantly terrible, crooked, fixed, wrong, whatever you want to call it.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2sq3yvd7 said:
I'm the most pissed about the obvious illegal contact/PI on ADB in the end zone on an already bad play call as it was.

To bad it was not illegal contact, not even close. Baldwin gave up on the play hoping for a call instead of trying to catch the ball. Sums up our WR play this year. Man I miss Tate.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
pmedic920":2qvs2i7o said:
TeamoftheCentury":2qvs2i7o said:
pmedic920":2qvs2i7o said:

Nothing wrong with your post IMO and I don't disagree with you. I'm simply stating that we got away with a few too.
Quite a few less than KC did obviously. Seattle got called for 8 penalties for 50 yards. KC got called for 3 for 6 yards. Take out two blatant false starts for a grand total of one yard and KC only got called for ONE live penalty. Our penalties AVERAGED more yardage than they got penalized for total.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1qv3dql2 said:
Hasselbeck":1qv3dql2 said:

To bad it was not illegal contact, not even close. Baldwin gave up on the play hoping for a call instead of trying to catch the ball. Sums up our WR play this year. Man I miss Tate.
Baldwin should have flopped better, like the 9er vs Jimmy Graham, which eventually led to the 9er win.
:sarcasm_on: (sort of)

My least fave reffing moment came when the side judge who was watching the whole play and had a clear line of sight came in and accurately called Seahawks ball on the Kelce fumble. I'm busy jumping around, woo-hooing, then turn around to see Bill "Leave the bad officiating to me" Leavy setting up for another Chiefs offensive play. WTF?!

Didn't we end up burning a TO for that idiocy?

ManBunts

Reaction score
Nonsense, that's not holding, that's sportsmanship! Clearly he was falling down and that nice man from KC held him up so he didn't get an owie!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
id bet large amounts of cash that we are at least top 3 for teams that draw the fewest holding calls in our favor. I bet were #1. its beyond ridiculous

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1jzf4t91 said:
TorontoHawk":1jzf4t91 said:
Hasselbeck":1jzf4t91 said:

Baldwin should have flopped better, like the 9er vs Jimmy Graham, which eventually led to the 9er win.

My least fave reffing moment came when the side judge who was watching the whole play and had a clear line of sight came in and accurately called Seahawks ball on the Kelce fumble. I'm busy jumping around, woo-hooing, then turn around to see Bill "Leave the bad officiating to me" Leavy setting up for another Chiefs offensive play. WTF?!

That was insane.

It was the same here, YAY celebrate recovering the fumble, and by the time we settled down KC is trying to take a snap. :shock: What just happen?

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":wraedwsv said:
TorontoHawk":wraedwsv said:
Hasselbeck":wraedwsv said:

The time out was given back because of their error.

As for the officiating, it's looking as if the Seahawks opponents will be allowed to get away with anything they want against the WRs and D-line while the Seahawks get three BS, ticky tack calls against their DBs and O-line EVERY GAME. A KC defender falls down and our guy falls on him...how the hell is that holding? He didn't even have his arms extended or wrapped around the guy and he didn't throw him down. It's disturbing that these BS, ticky tack calls are being made against the Seahawks and minutes later we see the same thing or even something more obvious not get called on their opponent. Even in some of the wins, the Seahawks have had to overcome the almost blatant one sided officiating.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's hard to tell without seeing the video. You can legally block a defensive linemen in the back if he turns his back to you. He appears to wrap him up, which would not be legal. This is the kind of call you don't usually get on the road.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1itm6ntz said:
TorontoHawk":1itm6ntz said:
Hasselbeck":1itm6ntz said:

The time out was given back because of their error.

As for the officiating, it's looking as if the Seahawks opponents will be allowed to get away with anything they want against the WRs and D-line while the Seahawks get three BS, ticky tack calls against their DBs and O-line EVERY GAME. A KC defender falls down and our guy falls on him...how the hell is that holding? He didn't even have his arms extended or wrapped around the guy and he didn't throw him down. It's disturbing that these BS, ticky tack calls are being made against the Seahawks and minutes later we see the same thing or even something more obvious not get called on their opponent. Even in some of the wins, the Seahawks have had to overcome the almost blatant one sided officiating.