Playoff Chase

Hawks46

Reaction score
I keep adding these lengthy responses in other threads, so I figured this needed it's own thread.

We're not in as bad of shape as some here are saying. We have 5 divisional games left, and 6 conference games left. Obviously, if we ran the table, we'd have 12 wins and be in the playoffs for sure, with a likely divisional bye or home game. Here's the break down:

Arizona. We're going to need some help, as of now if we do what we can control, and sweep them, then we're sitting at 8 wins and they have 3 losses, which is still less than us. So, say they win every game but the 2 against us, and we win out...they will take the division with a 13-3 record, while we have a 12-4 record. If they lose one additional game, and we win out, then we'll be tied and we own the tiebreaker due to head to head. Like I said, we need help with this one.

Philly.. They have 7 wins, and currently are in 1st place in their division. They have one game against us, and at least one against each of their division rivals, as well as the Titans next week. So, the Titans are a gimme. They have two games left against Dallas. The Redskins and Giants game are both away, so even though they look like automatics...they are away games. At this point they only have a one game lead on us for a WC spot and we play them once.

Dallas. They have 7 wins, and own the head to head tiebreak against us. For this reason, we need them to win their division. They have 2 games against Philly, @Giants, @Redskins, @Chicago, and Colts at home. I'd like to see them win the division, as if they get knocked out, we'd have to be better than them by a game. Slightly tougher road than Philly.

Detroit. They have 7 wins. This is why I think the 1st WC spot goes to the NFC North. They also have tougher opponents, but an easier schedule. They're @NE, and @ GB. They've beat GB once so far. After that, it's Chicago twice, Vikings once, and TB once. Other than the NE and GB games, their schedule is a cake walk.

GB. They have 7 wins. We're rooting for the Lions, as we own the head to head against GB. They have NE @ home, @ Vikings, Falcons, @ Buffalo, @ Bucs, and Lions @ home. The only teams I see beating them this year are NE and Lions. They've also outscored opponents 169 to 95 and are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.

Niners. They have 6 wins, and are in 2nd place in our division. The reason they're in 2nd place is they have a 1-2 divisional record, where we have an 0-1 record. Thing is, the Niners actually have a -1 points differential for the year. We don't have to sweep them to win the division, or a WC, but it helps. I theorize that we'll need to win at least one, and we'll get help from other teams. Thing is, they have a MUCH easier schedule here on out than we do: they get us twice, Redskins @ home, @Raiders, SD @ home, and Cards @ home. The cool thing is that last game helps us either way. Best case scenario for us is that we sweep them, and the only other probable losses they have are Chargers and Cards, which put them at 8-8. Say they hang a loss on the Cards, well that only gives them 9 wins and not a likely WC. This is why I say we don't have to sweep the Niners: if we hang a loss on them, and they lose to Chargers and Cards, best they can do is 9 wins. If we beat them, sweep cards and beat either Philly or STL, we have 10 wins. Thing is, there's no other lose able games for them outside of that, so they HAVE to lose to the Chargers or we have to sweep them. I honestly think we can sweep them.

So we're close. It's pretty simple: if we sweep the Cards and Niners, we are most likely into a WC slot. We can trade a Niners win for a Philly win. I'm assuming an automatic win vs. STL @home. That's the only gimme we have....we have the toughest remaining schedule by far in the NFC. We also only have 3 home games left.

I'm not going to say it's easy, but we're not out of it, and it's not that far out of reach.

rcaido

Reaction score
i've been trying to figure this out, thanks for doing all the work. Now i can follow other games after the Seahawk play on Sunday. Today i had no idea who to root for or against.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I can see both Detroit and Phlly succombing their division leads and turning into simple Wild Card contenders. The Eagles look the most likely to fully collapse given Mark Sanchez and all.

10 wins earns a Wild card spot in my mind

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Drew Stanton, Mark Sanchez, Shaun Hill, Kaepernick.. We may not lose another game until next year. We are better than people think.

Sure the Hawks have had some tough losses but they've all been close and yesterday we had every opportunity to pull it out. ..

If we defeat Philly we will hold tie breakers with them and Green Bay. With a win vs Arizona, split with SF and win against the Rams at home we will get in..

This team reminds me of the 2005 Steelers and the 2012 Ravens.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":h483ynf7 said:
Drew Stanton, Mark Sanchez, Shaun Hill, Kaepernick.. We may not lose another game until next year. We are better than people think.

Sure the Hawks have had some tough losses but they've all been close and yesterday we had every opportunity to pull it out. ..

If we defeat Philly we will hold tie breakers with them and Green Bay. With a win vs Arizona, split with SF and win against the Rams at home we will get in..

I would agree if our pass rush wasn't non existent. We have made very mediocre QB's look really good this year with our garbage pass rush.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
i honestly have not seen that much from SF this year that worries me all that much. and with the AZ injury, i actually think things are not as doom and gloom. as i posted in another thread, i was more worried about AZ and SF games at the start of the season than i am now.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1r62cx1z said:

You have 2 games against Arizona.

I don't think that tie break with the Packers will matter because they will win the NFC North

If you look at Lions, Eagles, and Cowboys remaining schedules, they will probably be favored in 4 of their last 6, which means they have a good shot at finishing 11-5

Pretty much, the Seahawks have to win 5 of 6 to give yourselves < 50% of making the playoffs. The loss cannot come to the Eagles, and the Eagles cannot win their division because the Cowboys will likely be 11-5, at which point the Hawks would miss the playoffs because of tie-break.

That's perfect, best case scenario for the Seahawks. I'd be a little concerned

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":25cbo956 said:
BlueBlood":25cbo956 said:

I would agree if our pass rush wasn't non existent. We have made very mediocre QB's look really good this year with our garbage pass rush.

Alex Smith had 108 yards. KC was all but shut down in the second half and we dominated besides the 4th and short failures. The going has gotten tough and from here on out the tough gets going. The last 6 weeks basically make or break everything in the NFL and that's how it's always been.

The scoreboard only tells a small portion of what's really going on. Statistically we have the best offense and defense in the NFC West. You like stats, look em up!

We score more points, give up less yards than anyone else.

Baldwin needs to go back into the slot and stay there and honestly, we need Kearse and Lockett on the outside. It's time to turn this incredible running game into play action success and spread these teams out and take shots over the top. It's now time!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2ww6zo2l said:

We lost to Austin Davis and Alex Smith. It's not about what our defense isn't doing, it's about what our offense isn't doing. And those defenses we face are perfectly primed - drafted for, in fact - to beat us.

That said, it's not as bad as I thought either. The #6 wild card spot is actually wide open. The loser of the NFC North race (Detroit or Green Bay) probably takes the #5. Arizona, barring a meltdown, has #1 locked up most likely. But the Eagles are in freefall and only a game up from us. The NFC South will certainly not be providing a wild card contender. That might only leave two other teams in the race for the #6, one of whom - SF - is something we need to handle anyway. If it's GB, we hold the tiebreaker.

Not that I have a whole lot of confidence in an offense composed of third-stringers, much less playing in a postseason environment. But as they say, it's a whole new season.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":15p76m79 said:
BlueBlood":15p76m79 said:

We lost to Austin Davis and Alex Smith. It's not about what our defense isn't doing, it's about what our offense isn't doing. And those defenses we face are perfectly primed - drafted for, in fact - to beat us.

That said, it's not as bad as I thought either. The #6 wild card spot is actually wide open. The loser of the NFC North race (Detroit or Green Bay) probably takes the #5. Arizona, barring a meltdown, has #1 locked up most likely. But the Eagles are in freefall and only a game up from us. The NFC South will certainly not be providing a wild card contender. That might only leave two other teams in the race for the #6, one of whom - SF - is something we need to handle anyway. If it's GB, we hold the tiebreaker.

Not that I have a whole lot of confidence in an offense composed of third-stringers, much less playing in a postseason environment. But as they say, it's a whole new season.
Green Bay is going to win the North. They have 4 very winnable games and a game against the Lions. Right now, Green Bay looks close to unstoppable.

Lions also have an easy schedule, which makes me think they could seriously reach 11-5 as well.

NFC West fans have to hope the Cowboys sweep the Eagles, followed by one more Eagles loss. That would put the 2nd Wild Card spot at 10-6, which the 49ers and the Seahawks would fight for (Seahawks would have to beat the Eagles obviously if Seahawks finish with the same record as the Eagles).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lets talk Lions and Eagles...

the Lions are not a lock at winning 11 games. @ Patriots and @Packers, with @Bears still on the schedule. they will lose one of their games to Chicago I think

the Eagles have Mark Sanchez. they are home to the Titans, then @ Cowboys, home to Seahawks, home to Cowboys, @ Redskins, @ Giants. They are playing that schedule with Mark Sanchez.

I would be suprised if either of those teams gets more than 10 wins on their schedule. Lions are a more likely