The Talent Gap and Losing

Vetamur

Reaction score
Well, Im not giving up on the season. But I understand we are probably playing for a Wild Card slot.

This season has been a disappointing one but I think its a bit inevitable with how things played out.

Compared to our closest rivals we havent been able to reload.

We traded away two first round pics to get Harvin, plus a 3rd I believe and maybe a 7th. 1st rounders generally contribute immediately. So we are missing 2 possible starters plus we let Golden Tate go.

We spent the offseason building a pass game around players no longer on the team and they are now making it up on the fly and it shows, both good and bad.

Topping that off, we have gotten very little from last years 2nd round pick.

So, we are down a very solid receiver in Tate, and 3 very high draft picks.

Makes you understand why so few block buster trades are made.. we will be paying for this failed Harvin trade for years. We absolutely have to hit on every other pick.

If Richardson had come in like many rookie WRs this year (and its an exception) and played at a high level some damage would be mitigated, but he seems to be following the normal path.

So, our experienced receivers are all people who went undrafted, and our drafted receivers are rookies. We are missing the starting TE.

We just dont have the horses to be elite this year.

Still hoping that certain people emerge over the last 6 games but increasingly Im grasping at straws. Playoffs this year and next, our next real good shot at the Superb Owl may not be for 2 seasons. Too many holes. We are good but not good enough.

Lets hope Im wrong and they go on a tear.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Vetamur":13o9ging said:
Well, Im not giving up on the season. But I understand we are probably playing for a Wild Card slot.

This season has been a disappointing one but I think its a bit inevitable with how things played out.

We traded away two first round pics to get Harvin, plus a 3rd I believe and maybe a 7th. 1st rounders generally contribute immediately. So we are missing 2 possible starters plus we let Golden Tate go.

We spent the offseason building a pass game around players no longer on the team and they are now making it up on the fly and it shows, both good and bad.

Makes you understand why so few block buster trades are made.. we will be paying for this failed Harvin trade for years. We absolutely have to hit on every other pick.

If Richardson had come in like many rookie WRs this year (and its an exception) and played at a high level some damage would be mitigated, but he seems to be following the normal path.

So, our experienced receivers are all people who went undrafted, and our drafted receivers are rookies. We are missing the starting TE.

Still hoping that certain people emerge over the last 6 games but increasingly Im grasping at straws. Playoffs this year and next, our next real good shot at the Superb Owl may not be for 2 seasons. Too many holes. We are good but not good enough.

Good post I agree there is a talent gap. However on offense I am not sure even if we were healthy there is not talent gap. Even healthy our oline is at best mediocre. Our Wr are healthy and we have no #1, Baldwin our "best" is at best a #3 on most good teams. At TE with Miller okay maybe there we are okay. Now add in we have talent issue son defense.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
Anthony!":hdsjxskz said:
Vetamur":hdsjxskz said:

Good post I agree there is a talent gap. However on offense I am not sure even if we were healthy there is not talent gap. Even healthy our oline is at best mediocre. Our Wr are healthy and we have no #1, Baldwin our "best" is at best a #3 on most good teams. At TE with Miller okay maybe there we are okay. Now add in we have talent issue son defense.

This is partly what I mean.. if the Christine Michael pick had gone to a WR..that WR would be his second year.. heck, if we hadnt done the Harvin trade we could have picked a WR in the first round last year and hed be in his second year now, plus potentially still have Tate....

Outside of Lynch we have few A or even B+ talents on offense and no one scary in the passing game. Even Rice people now see the value in..a true outside receiver that Ds had to respect.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pzf9mdz said:
Vetamur":3pzf9mdz said:

Agree with both posters. This is not just a injury issue. I do hope that our rookies and free agents we have now step up also. I think we are in for some hard decisions on some players coming up on the end of their contract (minus Lynch as I think he is not going anywhere) as we need that money to upgrade/draft both the off and def lines as well as a few other positions.