Wilson's intentional grounding?

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I was at the game so replay wasn't helpful. Just wondering on 1st and goal from the nine at end of first half, the Chiefs had an illegal contact I think(can't remember exactly the penalty) Russell was also called for intentional grounding. Offsetting penalties. To me it looked like he thought Lynch was supposed to do the corner route. I don't really understand the rule that well. It's too bad because we would have had 1st and goal from four yard line, which doesn't necessarily change the outcome

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't literally intentional, but the way the rule is written they had to call it. Sucks but rules is rules. If he's in the pocket and there's no receiver in the area, or he's outside the pocket but the ball doesn't get to the LOS and there's no receiver in the area, that's IG, even if it wasn't literally intentional grounding.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":39oku7e0 said:
It wasn't literally intentional, but the way the rule is written they had to call it. Sucks but rules is rules. If he's in the pocket and there's no receiver in the area, or he's outside the pocket but the ball doesn't get to the LOS and there's no receiver in the area, that's IG, even if it wasn't literally intentional grounding.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I think the rule states it must be thrown in order to avoid pressure or a loss of yards. If I remember the play correctly he wasn't doing it because he was heavily pressured. But rather because of a miscommunication.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Aristotle22":15be3ix9 said:
I was at the game so replay wasn't helpful. Just wondering on 1st and goal from the nine at end of first half, the Chiefs had an illegal contact I think(can't remember exactly the penalty) Russell was also called for intentional grounding. Offsetting penalties. To me it looked like he thought Lynch was supposed to do the corner route. I don't really understand the rule that well. It's too bad because we would have had 1st and goal from four yard line, which doesn't necessarily change the outcome

I believe that was reviewed on tv. It was Helfet who had a step on his man but ran inside when Wilson threw to the left corner. RW lobbed it so early indicating it was likely Helfet ran the wrong route. Chiefs lobbied the refs. By rule it was called intentional grounding because he was in the pocket and no receiver was near the ball thrown.

seabowl

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2jpz9oqe said:
Aristotle22":2jpz9oqe said:

I believe that was reviewed on tv. It was Helfet who had a step on his man but ran inside when Wilson threw to the left corner. RW lobbed it so early indicating it was likely Helfet ran the wrong route. Chiefs lobbied the refs. By rule it was called intentional grounding because he was in the pocket and no receiver was near the ball thrown.

This is true but as earlier poster stated Wilson was not under pressure to get rid of the ball. IMO it was a bad call but the refs made bad calls for both teams yesterday.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
seabowl":qs81cqzg said:
Russ Willstrong":qs81cqzg said:
Aristotle22":qs81cqzg said:

This is true but as earlier poster stated Wilson was not under pressure to get rid of the ball. IMO it was a bad call but the refs made bad calls for both teams yesterday.

True. Chiefs had home field advantage and benefited from calls like this one and the final pass interference no call.

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":3qc45kux said:
Zebulon Dak":3qc45kux said:

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I think the rule states it must be thrown in order to avoid pressure or a loss of yards. If I remember the play correctly he wasn't doing it because he was heavily pressured. But rather because of a miscommunication.

It's pretty awesome when a multi-billion dollar empire employs part-time geriatrics—that don't know the rules—to enforce the rules. There was zero pressure on Wilson when the ball was thrown.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Yeah, lack of pressure means it shouldn't have been called. Like...I understand why they called it, so it didn't rile me too much, but I feel pretty sure it was wrong.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
seabowl":2si16p4e said:
Russ Willstrong":2si16p4e said:
Aristotle22":2si16p4e said:

Why do people keep refusing to hold the refs accountable? They didn't make bad calls for both teams. They called ONE, count em ONE live ball penalty against the Chiefs all day.

So they happened to miss some calls against the Hawks during the game. That happens. They totally IGNORED everything against the Cheifs all day and that's a big difference.'

And it hasn't been just one game, it's been every game, all season. Stats back this up.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":251mfvu5 said:
Why do people keep refusing to hold the refs accountable? They didn't make bad calls for both teams. They called ONE, count em ONE live ball penalty against the Chiefs all day.

So they happened to miss some calls against the Hawks during the game. That happens. They totally IGNORED everything against the Cheifs all day and that's a big difference.'

And it hasn't been just one game, it's been every game, all season. Stats back this up.

That one live ball penalty, if it was the hands to the face one, was pretty flimsy and handed us 7 points when we were goign to have to punt. That pretty quickly took me out of any mindset toward blaming the officiating unless they did us really wrong the rest of the way. We got screwed a couple of times but I have no huge complaints.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3n5ui4ya said:
It was a crap call, sorry. If they called all plays like they did that play each team would have 10 intentional groundings per game. Leavy let the Chiefs players and bench make that call for him.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
seabowl":v8nko6ul said:
Russ Willstrong":v8nko6ul said:
Aristotle22":v8nko6ul said:

Whaaaat. Wilson was not under pressure when throwing??? I am now truly confused.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
JimmyNightshade":1w7jvctg said:
SeaToTheHawks":1w7jvctg said:
Zebulon Dak":1w7jvctg said:

It's pretty awesome when a multi-billion dollar empire employs part-time geriatrics—that don't know the rules—to enforce the rules. There was zero pressure on Wilson when the ball was thrown.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

Yeah, I think I was just assuming Wilson was under enough pressure for it to count because that was the case virtually all day. I haven't rewatched the play so my assumption could be wrong.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
No, Wilson was not facing an imminent loss of yardage. It was a bad call, and the refs should be reprimanded for it so it doesn't happen again.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawknation2014":mltyvvg0 said:
No, Wilson was not facing an imminent loss of yardage. It was a bad call, and the refs should be reprimanded for it so it doesn't happen again.

It always happens again. Gaaawd I hate refs.

Reaction score
Since that was called intentional grounding on Wilson, then anytime a QB just throws the ball away out of the back of the endzone should be intentional grounding.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's a Bill Leavy refereed game, what do you expect?

Remember the tripping call on Richard Sherman for tackling Dez Bryant?

Pete will send these of to the NFL, and they will say "yes, that was a bad call. Were sorry, better luck next time.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
MissoulaHawkFan":3lkhictx said:
Since that was called intentional grounding on Wilson, then anytime a QB just throws the ball away out of the back of the endzone should be intentional grounding.

This

Jacknut16

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cfkov7z said:

Pete will send these of to the NFL, and they will say "yes, that was a bad call. Were sorry, better luck next time.

One of the most inexplicably bad calls I have ever seen. Now you cant tackle a WR by hitting his legs or feet?

The NFL has way to much riding on these games to have these part time hacks calling games, PERIOD.

In the off season they should be going thru simulated games to all be on the same page, and they should be full time employees.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jacknut16":v3qm6yg9 said:
ivotuk":v3qm6yg9 said:

One of the most inexplicably bad calls I have ever seen. Now you cant tackle a WR by hitting his legs or feet?

The NFL has way to much riding on these games to have these part time hacks calling games, PERIOD.

In the off season they should be going thru simulated games to all be on the same page, and they should be full time employees.
And some shouldn't even be allowed to Referee a game (Bill Leavy) EVER AGAIN.
Repeated Shitty Officiating shouldn't be rewarded with a paycheck, and in fact, those that are repeat offenders, should be fined, and removed from the Officiating pool.