Just get in the tournament...

pehawk

Reaction score
If I was a fan of the Packers, Eagles, Cowboys, Cards or whomever I would not at all feel comfortable facing Seattle in the playoffs. Even playing at home, I wouldn't want any part of Russell Wilson in January.

Yesterday's loss hurt...really hurt. Personally, if the Hawks had won I would've KNOWN they're making a very noisy run in January. Now I'm just emotionally invested in seeing them enter the tournament.

We've seen flawed teams reach and win the SB over the past decade. Both of Eli's Giants teams we're flawed. The 2013 Ravens we're flawed. The Patriots first SB was with a scrappy and flawed team. Unlikely? Yeah, probably so. But, if the Hawks do make it to the postseason I'll take my chances with Wilson, Lynch, Sherm, Kam, Earl, Ryan and Pete. Honestly, I'm not sure there's another team I'd choose to head into a hostile environment come January.

This year is and was gravy anyways, IMO. Logistically it looks like the FO kind of anticipated this year being one which they'll scrape by. They positioned themselves to have ALOT of picks and money this offseason. I think the assumption was any dip in defensive performance was okay because they'd have a more dynamic offense with Percy entirely in the fold.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Even though yesterday's game was disappointing, I feel oddly positive about our remaining slate of games. Not a single team left on our schedule is playing like a juggernaut... not even Arizona (the 49ers needed Eli going all Simple Jack to win by 6 points, for example). Philly doesn't scare me. I totally think we can win out the rest of our games, but it's going to take really good execution and playcalling paired with no more injuries.

Largent80

Reaction score
I really liked the way we stayed with them yesterday on the road. Almost and should have won it.

The defense stepped up when we needed it to, and that is a good sign.

It is going to be an uphill grind to just get in, but if we do we would be similar to the '86 team that nobody wanted anything to do with late in the season. If GB can continue their recent play, I'm not so sure we could throttle them in that ice box.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":14xem3kj said:
This year is and was gravy anyways, IMO. Logistically it looks like the FO kind of anticipated this year being one which they'll scrape by. They positioned themselves to have ALOT of picks and money this offseason. I think the assumption was any dip in defensive performance was okay because they'd have a more dynamic offense with Percy entirely in the fold.

It's been said before, but you re-emphasize the point in your last sentence. This team was banking on Harvin being a key cog to the offense this year and went all in with that philosophy. Since it didn't work, they are having to rethink the game plan, and so far that hasn't been working out well either.

As for your other points, I agree somewhat with our chances in January. If we get some of our key people back from injury, then I'm with you. If we are still decimated on both sides of the line then not so much. I just hope that this is a once in a blue moon type of thing with the injuries, as I would hate to think of this happening again in the next couple of seasons.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3kq7gxzj said:
Even though yesterday's game was disappointing, I feel oddly positive about our remaining slate of games. Not a single team left on our schedule is playing like a juggernaut... not even Arizona (the 49ers needed Eli going all Simple Jack to win by 6 points, for example). Philly doesn't scare me. I totally think we can win out the rest of our games, but it's going to take really good execution and playcalling paired with no more injuries.

Yeah, I feel good about yesterday too. I liked the grit and urgency in how they answered KC's drives. The defense needs another week or two to sort out life post Bane, but they still got stops in the times where it was absolutely necessary.

Russellmania3

Reaction score
Most of the team is battle tested and know what it takes to win in the playoffs .

They just need to get there first . Just make the playoffs and lets see what happens.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Looking at the remaining schedules for the NFC playoff contenders, it is fairly obviously that the Seahawks have the most brutal schedule left. Seahawks have 5 games against teams with winning records and the pesty Rams. Most of the other teams (Lions, Packers, 49ers) have cupcakes remaining on their schedules.

If the Seahawks make the playoffs, they would have unequivocally earned it

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Making the playoffs would be a Herculean effort. I would be ecstatic. During one of my multiple expectation resets I found myself saying this isn't a team that makes the playoffs. Just way too many things broken right now for them to overcome, given the schedule the rest of the way. There are a least 5 major issues that will prevent us form getting there.

#1. Anemic pass rush. Sporadic would be kind. Lack of pressure on the QB is killing this team.

#2. Injuries. injuries to key players AND injuries to key players that keep happening. Max unger, cant stay healthy. Russell Okung cant stay healthy.

#3 Our WR corps is pedestrian at best. a huge dearth of talent and physicality. This needs to be fixed in the off-season. Keep DB fresh and the two rooks and cut everyone else.

#4. Bevell. Sigh. I didn't think I would jump on the fire bevell bandwagon but he's hurting our QB's development and he HAS to go.

#5 lack of discipline. the pre snap penalties are maddening and reflect poorly on the coaching staff. Elite teams can compensate. Were far form elite.

#6 Mysteriously maddening roster decisions. Why the hell is Kam Chancelleor not on IR getting an operation? Kam looks 90 years old out there right now. Its killing this team in both coverage and run D. Just stop trotting him out there. Jeron Johnson is a far better answer right now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2q14xrdv said:
Making the playoffs would be a Herculean effort. I would be ecstatic. During one of my multiple expectation resets I found myself saying this isn't a team that makes the playoffs. Just way too many things broken right now for them to overcome, given the schedule the rest of the way. There are a least 5 major issues that will prevent us form getting there.

#1. Anemic pass rush. Sporadic would be kind. Lack of pressure on the QB is killing this team.

#2. Injuries. injuries to key players AND injuries to key players that keep happening. Max unger, cant stay healthy. Russell Okung cant stay healthy.

#3 Our WR corps is pedestrian at best. a huge dearth of talent and physicality. This needs to be fixed in the off-season. Keep DB fresh and the two rooks and cut everyone else.

#4. Bevell. Sigh. I didn't think I would jump on the fire bevell bandwagon but he's hurting our QB's development and he HAS to go.

#5 lack of discipline. the pre snap penalties are maddening and reflect poorly on the coaching staff. Elite teams can compensate. Were far form elite.

#6 Mysteriously maddening roster decisions. Why the hell is Kam Chancelleor not on IR getting an operation? Kam looks 90 years old out there right now. Its killing this team in both coverage and run D. Just stop trotting him out there. Jeron Johnson is a far better answer right now.
I can't disagree with any of the above though the killer for me are the injuries specifically to Unger. Bevell is a not so distant second. The schedule is a factor also especially when compared to all the teams ahead of us which bothers me nearly as much as anything else because it shouldn't be a factor in the first place.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2j3oxdu4 said:
We need 11 wins to make the playoffs.

Chances are slim that we just "get in the tournament" .

Yep, any other year we probably forrest gump our way in.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Unfortunately with Bane, and now Unger out, I don't see us going 5-1, which is what will be required to get the wildcard.

kf3339

Reaction score
hoxrox":2969240j said:
Unfortunately with Bane, and now Unger out, I don't see us going 5-1, which is what will be required to get the wildcard.

^
This. We will be lucky to go 4-2 and end at 10-6. Our remaining schedule along with too many key injuries leaves us out of the tournament this year. I am just very thankful we won the Super Bowl last year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":fihv3vjs said:
We need 11 wins to make the playoffs.

Chances are slim that we just "get in the tournament" .
Looking at how the schedule stacks up for Green Bay, Detroit, Dallas, and Philadelphia I would agree. Currently my best case scenario is 10-6 and outside looking in. We could go 5-1 and get in but I don't expect it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
OkieHawk":77oavn6h said:
pehawk":77oavn6h said:

It's been said before, but you re-emphasize the point in your last sentence. This team was banking on Harvin being a key cog to the offense this year and went all in with that philosophy. Since it didn't work, they are having to rethink the game plan, and so far that hasn't been working out well either.

As for your other points, I agree somewhat with our chances in January. If we get some of our key people back from injury, then I'm with you. If we are still decimated on both sides of the line then not so much. I just hope that this is a once in a blue moon type of thing with the injuries, as I would hate to think of this happening again in the next couple of seasons.
The offense without Percy was just starting to really kick ass when Unger got injured. Two games ago we set a franchise record for rushing yards. The RO setting up Lynch up the middle and vice/versa was just starting to roll like a bohemoth--so I disagree.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2z7976ib said:

I agree. Funny thing about Bevell, they acquire Harvin last season and he has no clue how to use him. He's been with him in Minny and knows what Harvin brings.....yet no clue how to use him effectively at the beginning of this season. Bevell is incompetent. Has no idea on how to maximize the strengths of a player to the offense. No creativity unless you call bubble screens and sweeps (while Harvin was here) creative. Every team knew and knows what's coming from this offense.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1yfkwpf4 said:

All of those things are true, but despite them we beat KC in every dept except the score. I realize wins are all that matters in the end, but in assessing this teams chances you have to look at the numbers. And by the numbers we weren't that bad. Almost good enough to win in a tough environment on the road. SO if KC is a playoff team, so is Seattle. Due to the current records I think KC is a better bet, but I wouldn't count the Hawks out yet.

We could go 4-2 in our last 6, have a record of 10-6 and still get in as a wildcard.

It ain't over yet.

SC

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Add in the fact that our Special Teams are no longer special.

Last year, Tate was fantastic as our PR and Ryan was in lock step with our gunners to limit punt returns down to an absolute minimum.

And we're lucky to get to the 20 on kickoffs and Byran Walters has a snowball's chance in hell of running back a punt.

Let's face it... we're spoiled after last year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not ready to throw in the towel. AZ and Philly both lost their starting QB, San Fran looks abysmal on offense and we get the Rams at home. They painted themselves into a corner but it wouldn't shock me if they won out. Lots of football left guys.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle could get in with 10, if they get the tiebreaker over SF and beat the Eagles. If they do those two things and end up at 10-6, I think they'd have a really good chance to get in.

Hopefully the Cowboys loss doesn't haunt us, but they are currently the only playoff contender that Seattle loses a tiebreaker to.

Seattle has two losses in the AFC, which will help their tiebreaker as well.

Seattle has the 2nd highest DVOA in the NFC, behind a team they trounced on opening day. It might feel like their season is over, but their playoff chances are still healthy.

The key to a playoff berth will be finding ways to account for the Unger and Mebane injuries, and Bevell finding a way to call six good games in a row. I've never been a Bevell detractor, but for the first time I think our season is on his shoulders. If he calls a poor game this year, we usually lose that game. Next two games are a huge test for Bevell.