What was the point of drafting Richardson?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
After the draft Pete and John talked about Richardson being a great pick because his athleticism and speed are difference makers. I don't understand. Through ten game he has been targeted a grand total of 21 times. Yeah, yeah I get it. The Hawks are a running team. (FYI, 175 players or 5.5 per team have more targets than him). This is a team that is desperate for a WR to step up and he can't even get involved.

The thing that makes the least amount of sense to me is that his longest catch of the year is ELEVEN YARDS. 11!!!!! (FYI, 350 players or 10.1 players per team have a reception longer than 11 yards this season). How is it possible to be a difference maker with his speed if he's never catching the ball downfield. This is so extremely frustrating to me.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
He's 2nd in the league for receptions amongst rookies. At WR. I don't know why you'd whine about him and not our more veteran WRs who drop TD passes.

marko358

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":hfvhz1rr said:
It's his rookie year, way too early to think it's not a good pick etc.

Although I understand this line of thinking it's not like we have a pro bowler or two standing in his way. We have one of the weakest set of WRs in the league and he still can't get mixed into the offense. Certainly frustrating to say the least.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2q6djxy6 said:
He's 2nd in the league for receptions amongst rookies. At WR. I don't know why you'd whine about him and not our more veteran WRs who drop TD passes.

Y.....

Bu......

Wha? So confused right now. :34853_tinfoil:

marko358

Reaction score
MysterMatt":wjt916mc said:

Didn't realize he had his name changed to Kelvin Benjamin today.

1. Brandin Cooks WR, New Orleans Saints - 53
2. Kelvin Benjamin WR, Carolina Panthers - 52
3. Allen Robinson WR, Jacksonville Jaguars - 48
4. Mike Evans WR, Tampa Bay Bucs - 46
5. Sammy Watkins WR, Buffalo Bills - 45
6. Jordan Matthews WR, Philadelphia Eagles - 43
7. Jarvis Landry WR, Miami Dolphins - 42
8. Jace Amaro TE, New York Jets - 34
9. John Brown WR, Arizona Cardinals - 32
10. Odell Beckham Jr. New York Giants – 31

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Thought I heard on the radio today that he's 2nd. It made me raise my eyebrows, but if I'm wrong then ok. It was on Bob and Groz. Maybe they were referring to percentage of receptions per target?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I blame our OC that doesn't know how to use these type of WR's as anything more than glorified gadget players.

Dude has top flight speed and we've taken one shot down the field with him all year (against Carolina). Blows my mind. Especially with the run game humming the way it is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":bjd4jdt4 said:
I blame our OC that doesn't know how to use these type of WR's as anything more than glorified gadget players.

Dude has top flight speed and we've taken one shot down the field with him all year (against Carolina). Blows my mind. Especially with the run game humming the way it is.
Give Bevell a break; if we established strong running to make it easy for play action deep attempts, then we could expect this.

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3u7ru8n4 said:
Hasselbeck":3u7ru8n4 said:

Give Bevell a break; if we established strong running to make it easy for play action deep attempts, then we could expect this.

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!
Doctor wait what

hawkfan68

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2dsg89q0 said:
After the draft Pete and John talked about Richardson being a great pick because his athleticism and speed are difference makers. I don't understand. Through ten game he has been targeted a grand total of 21 times. Yeah, yeah I get it. The Hawks are a running team. (FYI, 175 players or 5.5 per team have more targets than him). This is a team that is desperate for a WR to step up and he can't even get involved.

The thing that makes the least amount of sense to me is that his longest catch of the year is ELEVEN YARDS. 11!!!!! (FYI, 350 players or 10.1 players per team have a reception longer than 11 yards this season). How is it possible to be a difference maker with his speed if he's never catching the ball downfield. This is so extremely frustrating to me.

Haven't you heard....Bevell doesn't know how to use fast receivers to his advantage. Couldn't use Harvin and Richardson is basically a younger version of Harvin, so his speed will go to waste too.

marko358

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3q4btux1 said:
Thought I heard on the radio today that he's 2nd. It made me raise my eyebrows, but if I'm wrong then ok. It was on Bob and Groz. Maybe they were referring to percentage of receptions per target?

Maybe they were saying that he has the 2nd worst rookie WR stats this year. Norwood might have the worst. :229031_shrug:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd love to see him run a double move. Every DB has got to be sitting on that curl. Do we even have that route?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
brimsalabim":xegzklf5 said:
I'd love to see him run a double move. Every DB has got to be sitting on that curl. Do we even have that route?

Bevell.jpg

"Wat."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Surprised a bunch of people are not blaming Wilson. He seems to have plenty of "fans" out there who don't think he's that great and/or worth giving a good deal.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I certainly haven't given up on Richardson-I like his pure speed and go route potential, but I don't fully understand why the front office have neglected going after more receivers with size. Even last year after Rice went down there was a lack of red zone capability. Norwood has decent size and Lockette is tall but as others have mentioned it seems PC/JS are simply fascinated with all these small, quick burst receivers. What exactly is PC's philosophy on what an ideal balance of receivers in our system should look like?

Hawks46

Reaction score
What honestly confuses me is that you don't even have to complete a long pass; just running the long routes and throwing one once in a while will make a defense back off. Richardson is really good at running deep routes, so let him run a few a game and let it rip. We're on the verge of missing the playoffs, it's time to cut it the f**k loose.

We run the ball, then only throw short passes like we're the Chiefs or something. Like we're terrified of throwing it downfield. So teams stack the box more and more against us.

What's doubly confusing is that we've had success with PA over the top before, with this same QB and this same WR group (or many of them). We also have two of the fastest guys in the NFL. Our QB has shown he's capable of throwing the deep ball with accuracy.

We can all blame Harvin all we want, but he went to the Jets, which are one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL, and within 2 weeks he's got 10 catches for over 100 yards and caught a pass more than 20 yards downfield. So it's not like he can't pick up an offense or run routes. I think Bevell really herp'd the derp on that one. Maybe Harvin actually had a right to be pissed.

NoChops

Reaction score
He is a rookie on a running team. Look at it this way. If he gets three catches a game for the rest of the season, he will finish with more receptions than Hall of Fame players Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin for their rookie years.

NoChops

Reaction score
Hawks46":1fvrwtgc said:
What honestly confuses me is that you don't even have to complete a long pass; just running the long routes and throwing one once in a while will make a defense back off. Richardson is really good at running deep routes, so let him run a few a game and let it rip. We're on the verge of missing the playoffs, it's time to cut it the f**k loose.

We run the ball, then only throw short passes like we're the Chiefs or something. Like we're terrified of throwing it downfield. So teams stack the box more and more against us.

What's doubly confusing is that we've had success with PA over the top before, with this same QB and this same WR group (or many of them). We also have two of the fastest guys in the NFL. Our QB has shown he's capable of throwing the deep ball with accuracy.

We can all blame Harvin all we want, but he went to the Jets, which are one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL, and within 2 weeks he's got 10 catches for over 100 yards and caught a pass more than 20 yards downfield. So it's not like he can't pick up an offense or run routes. I think Bevell really herp'd the derp on that one. Maybe Harvin actually had a right to be pissed.

The Jets are still 2-8, who gives a flip?

Latest posts