Oh what could have been.....

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'll take a 2013 with Bevell + Harvin + Super Bowl over the alternate universe of having no idea what would have happened without them.

:242735:

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Seems like there are way too many 20 somethings on these boards after losses. =/

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'm not happy with Bevell right now myself. His criticism is definitely warranted. I just can't bring myself to think he is the disease of our team (most PC thing i could think of). I know if he was our only weak link ,we would probably only have 1 loss. I just think we are fighting against a perfect storm right now.

Only way I can think to cope with our season right now is,,,,,beat Arizona next week then go from there

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2pa5ho2b said:
I would've offered Bevell + Harvin + 1st & 3rd for Arians to be OC.

Heh, that's kind of funny (cuz the irony).

It's ironic because Arians was essentially fired from Pittsburgh after helping them win a Super Bowl because fan outrage at his playcalling essentially forced the owner's hand. This in spite of him helping Roethlisberger develop into one of the best young QBs in the game. Of course, he went on to immediately turn the Colts and Cards into winners and now Pittsburgh fans hate their current coordinator more than their last.

From an old B/R article by a Steelers fan (I chuckle at how familiar this all sounds):

I can state my opinions, as I often have, about how Arians' offense is very predictable and unbalanced. Or about how I feel that he doesn't maximize his players' strengths. Or about how he doesn't make adjustments. Or about how subborn he is about certain plays such as the empty backfield set.

But instead, I'll respond to the three most common defenses for Bruce Arians that I have listed above to show you why Bruce Arians should be fired.

In response to those who say that Arians was the offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl winning team:

You are correct, he was the coordinator, but the Steelers won in spite of Arians, not because of him.

First of all, the offense was very inconsistent throughout the season.

Secondly, the times that the Steelers went to the no-huddle and allowed Ben Roethlisberger to call the plays was when the offense was the most successful. Much more successful than when Arians called the plays.

Finally, the defense carried the 2008 Steelers to the Super Bowl. Look at the stats. Or you could look at the game against the Cowboys where the defense pretty much won the game by themselves.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much all fans hate their team's play calling and that's mostly because of all the plays that "don't work" which there are many such plays during any given game.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1k6r6779 said:
Pretty much all fans hate their team's play calling and that's mostly because of all the plays that "don't work" which there are many such plays during any given game.

That's a very, very loose interpretation of the Arians situation. There's some definite liberties being taken.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":vl81avmr said:
Zebulon Dak":vl81avmr said:

That's a very, very loose interpretation of the Arians situation. There's some definite liberties being taken.

Maybe but it's also almost verbatim what I've heard people *caugh iRo & Sports H* say about Bevell, so the irony of the above sequence of posts is not lost me.

pehawk

Reaction score
It's ironic that David's using an article written by a FAN to point out how other FANS sound alike.

I've never once criticized a playcaller. I loved Bates. Understood with Knapp. Loved Holmy. Loved Erickson's crew.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":xmc16r3v said:
Zebulon Dak":xmc16r3v said:

How so? Tomlin and Roethlisberger wanted him back. The owner let him go ("forced retirement") amidst groundswell among the fanbase that he should be fired.

Bruce Arians: A City Cheers as Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator Retires
Or, since B/R sucks, you can read the unanimously hateful comments below this article at NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... t-him-back

And pe: I ain't calling you out. I just thought the notion of swapping Bevell for Arians to be a funny one considering Arians was once let go under near identical circumstances.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1mha8k91 said:
pehawk":1mha8k91 said:
Zebulon Dak":1mha8k91 said:

How so? Tomlin and Roethlisberger wanted him back. The owner let him go ("forced retirement") amidst groundswell among the fanbase that he should be fired.

Bruce Arians: A City Cheers as Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Coordinator Retires

You think the Steelers owners listen to fans? Really? The Rooney's? The most stable franchise in all of professional sports is going to listen to the fans? The team that's employed 3 coaches in what, 40 years?

Sounds legit...

Arian's is just kind of an asshole. He's cocky and wont bend at all. He's a "my way or the highway". Arians will burn very bright, but not for long, like that other NFCW savant coach.

It's who he is.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":jycumyua said:
DavidSeven":jycumyua said:
pehawk":jycumyua said:
Zebulon Dak":jycumyua said:

You think the Steelers owners listen to fans? Really? The Rooney's? The most stable franchise in all of professional sports is going to listen to the fans? The team that's employed 3 coaches in what, 40 years?

Sounds legit...

Arian's is just kind of an asshole. He's cocky and wont bend at all. He's a "my way or the highway".

Those personality traits didn't seem to bother the HC and the QB who both went to bat for him before the owner made him walk. If he's backed 100% by the HC and QB, why would ownership intervene to let him go if not to appease its customers? Like you said, it's a stable franchise. They don't generally go above the "football people" unless some other external factor is causing them to.

pehawk

Reaction score
I actually asked someone "why did it take so long for Arians to get a HC gig?". The answer was, "I heard he's an asshole". Then I researched it a bit because I was legitimately (bi) curious.

He's just an asshole. Period. He's Harbaugh in a Kangol. They just didn't like him personally.

I don't think the Rooney's will ever give a damn what fans say. That flies in the face of the empirical evidence; stability.

I do agree with the overall point that the Arians criticism mirrors this one. Same OL issues then too.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":qq0ltobh said:
I do agree with the overall point that the Arians criticism mirrors this one. Same OL issues then too.

Which was the actual only real overall point of David's initial post. So we're good then pookie?

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1odcpvrr said:
pehawk":1odcpvrr said:

Which was the actual only real overall point of David's initial post. So we're good then pookie?

Yeah, maybe I was grumpy. If so apologies.

Arians is a fascinating dude. When he walked in and fired Horton and hired Bowles, I was like, this dudes psycho.