QB Sneak

lukerguy

Reaction score
Last night the Raiders converted two key short yardage situations by utilizing a QB sneak. Surely they won because of these conversions, and surely we lost because of our short yardage execution.

Why in 3 years of the RW era have we not seen one QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1? Maybe there was one or two, but I can't remember them. Oakland did a great job coming off the ball on a quick count, I feel like we could do this.

I'm not sure RW height comes in to play too much because must QBs hold the ball around their peck, so he's probably only losing 2 inches to a 6'2 QB at the most. It has less to do with the height of the QB than the push from the line.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They have run it before.

Off the top of my head, he attempted a QB sneak on 4th and inches last year against Arizona. Got stuffed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
With what is basically a 4th string center in front of him, a qb sneak is probably not the wisest of play calls

Anthony!

Reaction score
kidhawk":2xoyz6e6 said:
With what is basically a 4th string center in front of him, a qb sneak is probably not the wisest of play calls

Agreed our lien cannot get push with Lynch to get less than 1 yard, let alone with a QB runing it behind a 4th string center.

King Dog

Reaction score
I've wondered this before too. I used to be brought in at qb on 4th and 1 to do quarterback sneaks. Basically, I'd just look at the defense, pick a side to the left or right of center and basically dive ahead. I don't remember ever not getting the 1st down. Seems like it would be very effective at any level.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Teams that practice it a lot are very successful. There are some reason why teams like NE convert at like 90% on less than 4th and 1. They practice it, and it has a lot to do with snap count. However with that being said, it's more difficult to pull of on the road than at home, yet I've still yet to see it run at home in 3 years.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":32c5tqn6 said:

Agree, seems like the center is key to a successful sneak.

BTW am I the only one that feels worse about our loss the the Chiefs, after last night.

ivotuk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2u0d7buz said:
kidhawk":2u0d7buz said:

BTW am I the only one that feels worse about our loss the the Chiefs, after last night.

You're crazy! :p

Oakland is improving with Sporano at the helm and Derek Carr behind center. They also have some bruisers on the offensive line, which is why they can do a QB Sneak. Wisnewski is one of the better Centers in the NFL and Kahlif Barnes is a load.

They also have better receivers.

On top of all that though, much like last year, after a team plays the Seahawks, their beat up and exhausted. And to travel on 3 days rest? That's a tough one for any team to do.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pmedic920":23dlwjys said:
kidhawk":23dlwjys said:

I'd like to think it was because we beat them up. I've not looked at this stat this year, but remember last year when like nobody won after playing us? KC learned a big lesson last night, imo. Don't start taking anything for granted just because you beat the champs and have since become media darlings. A SB hangover is one thing, a beating the champs hangover another.

The Raiders? Maybe they learned how to win. Their little sack celebration towards the end was one of the most bizarre scenes I've ever witnessed in football. Pro or college. I sure like Carr and I think he will play with renewed confidence going forward. But of course next week they will be hung over after beating the team that beat the team. lol.