Seahawk fullbacks - missing piece

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just from my observation. One of the biggest missing pieces, because of the void left by Robinson is the ability to catch from the fullback position. Being the safety valve for Wilson. The threat of this is non-existent on the current team. Tukuafu is strictly a blocker. He's good blocker but not really a safety valve who can catch a pass. I was hoping they would use Helfet or Willson in a H-back because I believe either would be effective there. I'd rather see that than the empty backfield. I believe this would keep the defense guessing more. The Raiders were doing this last night with Reece. He was Carr's safety valve and it was effective against the Chiefs. Robinson was a great safety valve and Coleman offers the pass catching ability even though they didn't use him as much in that capacity.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm happy with Tukuafu regardless of pass catching.

At one point in the game I had to rewind just to listen to the incredible POP I heard when he smacked a dude.

Give me more of that please.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Largent80":1abnecw8 said:
I'm happy with Tukuafu regardless of pass catching.

At one point in the game I had to rewind just to listen to the incredible POP I heard when he smacked a dude.

Give me more of that please.

Agreed. Tukuafu definitely delivers a pop with his blocking.

I guess the best example of type of FB that would help is Dan Doornink. Remember what Dr. Dan did in the early to mid 80s. Michael Robinson had a little of that in him. That's what has been missing.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does Tukuafu block really high? He's a big dude so maybe it doesn't matter so much, but seems his pad level is really high when dishing out blocks. Sorry random thought.

King Dog

Reaction score
Stanley Havili was all the rage at FB coming out of USC a few years ago. He actually played pretty well for the Colts until he got injured and they decided to go without a FB and released him. He's on our practice squad now. He has good hands and runs about a 4.6 if I remember right. I don't remember him being a great blocker though.

Maybe the FO has the same thoughts as you.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Mike Rob was targeted 3 times last year. So, I don't know really how much we miss that part of his game.

Our new big guy was targeted once, I believe, so, he is only 2 behind Mike Rob.

Lynch seems to be trusting Tukuafu more each game. Hopefully, they can continue building that chemistry.

The trust Lynch had with Mike Rob was incredible, they played almost as one person.

I think what we miss most is Mike's leadership, that is hard to replace.

Smoke

Reaction score
SInce Tukuafu has been here, minus the first week (learning curve?) the run game has been on FIRE. We don't really target our FB's in the passing game. We need a guy in there that can DESTROY HUMANS, and that is what I have observed Tukuafu doing. I LOVE HIM.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Smoke, as usual, but Mike Rob was a threat in the passing game, kinda like John L. Otherwise spot on.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1yuw9ldj said:
Is it just me, or does Tukuafu block really high? He's a big dude so maybe it doesn't matter so much, but seems his pad level is really high when dishing out blocks. Sorry random thought.
Yup! And it's backed up by the coaches.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Word is he CAN catch. Are we using his one target with this team as the body of evidence? That's hardly fair if so.