Our receivers are the least talented they have ever been

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Great win but I hate hate hate those five field goals tries. This game should have been 31-3...at least.

I know lots of people like to play the mental playcalling, "what if..." game but here is a simple fact: we have a receiving corps (including TEs) that is in the bottom 5 in the league. This was a constant complaint last year after many games but even when Wilson had time this game - there was no one open. I mean our flea flicker went to Norwood...who was being covered by Peterson. Its hard to scheme talent.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
You're right, but they are who we will have this year. Pete needs to get a big physical receiver next year. That's for sure .

uncle fester

Reaction score
Nah, it went to Norwood - though I think most folks would've preferred Richardson to be on the other end.

I think it would've worked if Wilson had a bit more steam in his arm, but he'd been beaten up by that point.

Exittium

Reaction score
Ignorance, just ignorance. We're not a passing only team. Period, so get it out of your mind that we should be tossing bombs to our wr's, we're no manning styled offense. We're a grinding offense. If you want anyone to blame just blame Bevell play calling still terrible. After look how great Tate looked when he left to go to a team who passes more.. Really tired of people bashing our wrs in a run heavy offense. Get over it, sorry our WRs dont help your fantasy stats but, it is what it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Exittium":2583xtfr said:
Ignorance, just ignorance. We're not a passing only team. Period, so get it out of your mind that we should be tossing bombs to our wr's, we're no manning styled offense. We're a grinding offense. If you want anyone to blame just blame Bevell play calling still terrible. After look how great Tate looked when he left to go to a team who passes more.. Really tired of people bashing our wrs in a run heavy offense. Get over it, sorry our WRs dont help your fantasy stats but, it is what it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

So because we are a running team, our WRs should never get open and make plays?

Makes sense.

Rat

Reaction score
They were worse that year Logan Payne got injured in the opener. We traded for Keary Colbert and started a gimpy way-past-his-prime Koren Robinson.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Exittium":3zqm7j3j said:

While it's true that we're a grinding team, there needs to be some balance or the defense will capitalize on the one dimension you've chosen.

Right now, our balance consists of Wilson escaping from a broken play and delivering a couple of 50+ yard bombs per game to some no-name WR who got behind the defense because they thought the play was over. True, that comprised much of last year, but we still had some more breathing room last year thanks to Zach Miller and Golden Tate.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
"Our receivers are the least talented they have ever been"

Somebody doesn't remember the 2008 season. Remember Courtney Taylor, or perhaps Logan Payne? There was also Ben Obomanu, and Jordan Kent. All of these guys were starting at one point or another. Our receivers that year make our receivers this year look talented.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
That's what I was going to say--and Unger, actually, upgraded our pass protection to almost passable(?).

Exittium

Reaction score
I think wilson REALLY either cant see or just doesnt have the time to go through reads thanks to our Oline. One probably the best examples with the best camera angle is in the 1st quarter around the 545 mark of it, when he dropped back and tossed to turbin for a 4th down, Baldwin was open (Would have been a 1st) Kearse Wide open (Would have been a 1st)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Exittium":3vvckcxo said:
I think wilson REALLY either cant see or just doesnt have the time to go through reads thanks to our Oline. One probably the best examples with the best camera angle is in the 1st quarter around the 545 mark of it, when he dropped back and tossed to turbin for a 4th down, Baldwin was open (Would have been a 1st) Kearse Wide open (Would have been a 1st)

Thats great but again the question would be were they open when it was their turn in RWs progression? FYI answer NO.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Exittium":ioweb7p3 said:

That's what I saw but other people want to make excuses. The ball needs to get out quick. Put the ball in a spot only the receiver can get it. The flea flicker was under thrown and ended up being a jump ball between a rookie and one of the best corners in the league.

the ditch

Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that Wilson's offensive line at Wisconsin was taller than in the NFL and I don't recall anyone saying he had problems seeing while there, I just think that our wide receivers aren't up to snuff.

There was a stat this morning on Sunday NFL Countdown, the Seahawks were tied 19th in the league in receptions, but were 30th in yards and 30th in another category, seems to me our receivers are getting the ball fine but they can't do anything with it.

seabowl

Reaction score
As a fan that suffered through 1992's worst offense in NFL history I beg to differ. Our two leading WR's were Tommy "Sugar" Kane and Louis Clark (yes the Louis Clark) who had 27 and 21 catches respectively.

That my friend was the worst year for our WR's.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I think we could have 4 Calvin Johnsons and a Rob Gronkowski and we still wouldn't have a great passing game.

The combination of Oline sucking and Russ afraid (or instructed not to) to throw into any coverage at all makes it tough.

Pete and or Russ apparently aren't familiar with the old saying, "a great throw will beat great coverage." Or they don't think he could make the great throws.

Whatever, I'm not mad. Cardinals got smashed.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
In the stadium, all of us within talking distance were watching
the lack of route adjustments by our WRs when Russell leaves the pocket.

Baldwin will cut routes off occasionally but everyone else seems to be running their routes with their
heads down like theyre trying to clear out space.

Russells not getting any help on routes and doesnt seem to be
on the same page as anybody.

Exittium

Reaction score
Hell most the game Okung and Bailey were getting abused. AND YES they were open VERY VERY open. But hey you just like to argue it seems, hell it seems like thats the case with a lot of people around here now. Ya know god forbid someone says otherwise or offers something from a different perspective. Jfc this place is going to shit really quick. A mod should just do me a solid and just close my account here. You cant talk football here let alone offer opinions or views. You say something someone wants to argue it. Yeah great we won, but since then I've noticed the people who have for the most part hopped on here last yr have done a pretty damn good job driving people away. Idk if thats because of the lack of moderation or what. But overall this place is quickly going away from what it was. Have fun arguing with each other because unless mods actually start moderating its just going to keep going down.

Anthony!

Reaction score
the ditch":3ncsexjf said:
I thought I had read somewhere that Wilson's offensive line at Wisconsin was taller than in the NFL and I don't recall anyone saying he had problems seeing while there, I just think that our wide receivers aren't up to snuff.

There was a stat this morning on Sunday NFL Countdown, the Seahawks were tied 19th in the league in receptions, but were 30th in yards and 30th in another category, seems to me our receivers are getting the ball fine but they can't do anything with it.

All true, he had no problems in college and they were big, our Wr are not getting open, and they do little with it after they do catch it.