We're Back Baby! #1 Ranked D

Chawks1

Reaction score
The D turned in its finest performance of the year when we needed it. I know it was only s Drew Stanton but we now have a run against mediocre QBs (Stanton, Kapernick, Sanchez and Hill), but it vaulted back to the top spot iin YPG ranking.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... on/defense

The D looks healthy ( minus Mebane). We were imposing our will on AZ and I expect the same thing the next 5 weeks. The offense needs us to dominate this way to get to the promised land.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but this season whenever I hear about our Defensive yards allowed I can't help but think about all of our Special Teams failures which nullified entire drives or 70+ yards of them for the other team (they score or get great field position from huge Special Teams Play). It also seems like all of our turnovers come when we give the opposing team amazing field position.

I haven't looked into those stats but it seems like our Defensive yards allowed aren't quite as good as they seem since our Special team has given up a lot of yards and we have gotten turnovers in bad field position. Maybe I'm wrong but watching our Defense this year it seems like teams have been getting yards against us with very minimal effort.

Certainly yesterdays performance against the Cardinals was a performance that backs up being #1.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Tokadub":22u8j2ve said:
I hate to be the negative Nancy, but this season whenever I hear about our Defensive yards allowed I can't help but think about all of our Special Teams failures which nullified entire drives or 70+ yards of them for the other team (they score or get great field position from huge Special Teams Play). It also seems like all of our turnovers come when we give the opposing team amazing field position.

I haven't looked into those stats but it seems like our Defensive yards allowed aren't quite as good as they seem since our Special team has given up a lot of yards and we have gotten turnovers in bad field position. Maybe I'm wrong but watching our Defense this year it seems like teams have been getting yards against us with very minimal effort.

Certainly yesterdays performance against the Cardinals was a performance that backs up being #1.

Average opponent starting field position last year: 25.85 yard line (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ ... atsdef2013)

Average opponent starting field position this year so far: 25.79 yard line (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ ... atsdef2014)

Opponents are starting ever-so-slightly further back on average this year so far, so it's not a matter of the defense just dealing with shorter fields at all.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I think the Rams game is just sticking in Tok's mind. That was definitely a game we should have won, but it takes nothing away from how the Defense played, even if it did counter the yards prevented.

OP
OP
Chawks1

Chawks1

Reaction score
I guess what has me fired up is that yesterday we looked like last years D. I think the only other game this year was the Green Bay game the first week did we have our strut on this year. I think with everyone back and healthy (except Mebane of course) and now with us playing teams we have something to prove, our swagger is coming back. And make no mistake it is our D that will lead this team. Turnovers and sacks are returning and that sets the tone. Looks like the offense will go as far as Haushkas leg will take us. He and Marshawn are offensive MVPs right now.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
marko358":1owr06im said:
Our defense looked stifling for 58 minutes against Denver.

Yeah people forget that was a blowout in the making before the D let up late.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2qwnwbtq said:
I think the Rams game is just sticking in Tok's mind. That was definitely a game we should have won, but it takes nothing away from how the Defense played, even if it did counter the yards prevented.

That was probably the worst Special Teams performance by the Hawks in years. Disgusting and hopefully not repeated.

dunceface

Reaction score
Am I happy about yesterday's defensive performance?

Yeah

OP
OP
Chawks1

Chawks1

Reaction score
Just read this stat over at Hawkblogger:

Seattle is back to dominating opposing quarterbacks with a combined 70.5 passer rating over the last five games

Hawks46

Reaction score
I really don't like the YPG statistic for looking at how good a defense is. If you break it down to Rush and Pass YPG, then you start to learn something.

So, for Points Per Game this year, so far, Detroit (by far), KC, Buffalo and SD all have given up less YPG than we have.

Cleveland and Miami have given up the same, with Cleveland giving up 70 YPG more than we do. The question is, does that 70 YPG give them fewer wins than us, or is it average QB play ?

Right now, I'd take giving up 50 more YPG to gain a net loss of 5 points per game.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Numbers I am curious about is what is our opponents 3rd and long success rate compared to the league avg because damn how many times this year have opponents killed us in that situation.

dunceface

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2un1i0aw said:
Numbers I am curious about is what is our opponents 3rd and long success rate compared to the league avg because damn how many times this year have opponents killed us in that situation.

Ha! I would rather not see that number...

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":yhb6g4vy said:

Not sure about 3rd and long, but overall opposing third down conversion success rate leaves us right at league average so far, 16th in the league.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... on/defense

Tokadub

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2yjk65ua said:
Average opponent starting field position last year: 25.85 yard line (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ ... atsdef2013)

Average opponent starting field position this year so far: 25.79 yard line (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ ... atsdef2014)

Opponents are starting ever-so-slightly further back on average this year so far, so it's not a matter of the defense just dealing with shorter fields at all.

Thanks for linking these stats I haven't seen those yet.

So there's a few more points I have about our Defensive yards allowed and why it may be a bit misleading compared to our actual defensive performance.

We are ranked 28th in drives per game at 10.8

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-drives-per-game/2014/

This may be an over generalization but I would estimate that the less drives in a game you have the more each yard counts. So 300 yards in an 11 drive game may be sort of the equivalent to 354 yards in a 13 drive game in terms of determining the outcome.

In other words the more drives you have per game the value of each yard should theoretically decrease due to a wide range of factors not related directly to the total yards but influencing the total points. If you have less drives per game you better make those drives count but you won't necessarily need a lot of yards to achieve this.

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT TEAMS HAVE BEEN DOING TO US!

Teams have not been trying to gain a ton of yards on us! They really are not as strange as that sounds...

Opposing teams are trying to methodically burn the ball up the field. They value efficiency, time of possession, not letting our Defense have a chance at Takeaways (Dink and Dunk), with a big emphasis on the run game.

This kind of strategy does not generally translate to a lot of yards per game. So while we can all admire our #1 status, in reality we must remember that we have already lost 4 games to teams that AREN'T EVEN TRYING TO GET A TON OF YARDS... THEY JUST WANT ENOUGH YARDS TO WIN A GAME WITH A LOW NUMBER OF DRIVES.

FOR EXAMPLE:

3 of the bottom 6 teams in drives per game are:

- Dallas Cowboys (Ranked #6 in Yards Per Game, 401 yards VS Seahawks in 11 drives)
- San Diego Chargers (Ranked #20 in Yards Per Game, 377 yards VS Seahawks in 10 drives)
- Kansas City (Ranked #23 in Yards Per Game, 298 yards VS Seahawks in 9 drives)

So those 3 teams account for 3 of our losses. We also have:

- Rams (Ranked #28 in Yards Per Game, 275 yards VS Seahawks in 9 drives)

So on average in our 4 losses we are giving up 337.75 yards per game on 9.75 drives per game. That is 34.64 yards per drive for the opposing team which isn't much worst than our season average of 31.44.

So when judging our teams overall Defensive performance I really do think we need to account for the fact that TEAMS AREN'T EVEN TRYING TO RACK UP A TON OF YARDS ON US AS I EXPLAINED ABOVE.

The Chargers and the Cowboys happened to gain a ton of yards on us but they pretty much dominated us, that wasn't necessarily their goal.

In two of our losses we allowed an average of 286.5 yards, this is lower than our season average of 296.8 for rank #1!

So this whole concept is really hard to explain and seems counter-intuitive like "why would other teams not focus on gaining a ton of yards on us?!", but I think we just need to consider that there are many other factors contributing to why our Defense hasn't passed the eyeball test and why we already have 4 losses.

1) This year we are allowing 19.8 points per game, last season we allowed 14.4 points per game.

Before the Cardinals game we were allowing 21.5 points per game, that's 7.1 a.k.a. a full Touchdown more than last season!

2) We are RANKED #15 in yards per drive (31.44)

3) We are RANKED #19 in points per drive (1.97)

4) We are RANKED #22 in Turnovers per drive (.119)

5) We are RANKED #23 in Interceptions per drive (.059)

6) We are RANKED #22 in Plays per drive (6.04)

7) We are RANKED #26 in Time Of Possession per drive (2:53)

If teams are trying to slow down the game against us to limit the number of drives (and inflating the value of each yard) then each of these statistics can really shed some light on why our Defense has looked so bad even though the yards allowed does not reflect that.

In terms of our stats per drive we are an average to terrible defense!

LAST SEASON WE WERE RANKED #1 IN TURNOVERS PER DRIVE! That is the main reason why teams are beating us with this strategy, we haven't been able to get the turnovers!

SUMMARY:

Teams are not trying to gain a ton of yards on us, they want to be efficient per drive with a low number of drives. This inflates the value of each yard, so our league leading yards/game is very misleading to how effective our defense has actually been.

When broken down in this manner it is clear to see why we have lost 4 games and why our Defense has not passed the eyeball test and has looked at times terrible.

If we cannot consistently generate turnovers to counter the opposing offensive strategy then our yards allowed per game do not accurately represent our performance.

60niners

Reaction score
Tokadub":bmcjjqe3 said:
MidwestHawker":bmcjjqe3 said:

So there's a few more points I have about our Defensive yards allowed and why it may be a bit misleading compared to our actual defensive performance.

This may be an over generalization but I would estimate that the less drives in a game you have the more each yard counts. So 300 yards in an 11 drive game may be sort of the equivalent to 354 yards in a 13 drive game in terms of determining the outcome.

In other words the more drives you have per game the value of each yard should theoretically decrease due to a wide range of factors not related directly to the total yards but influencing the total points. If you have less drives per game you better make those drives count but you won't necessarily need a lot of yards to achieve this.

Teams have not been trying to gain a ton of yards on us! They really are not as strange as that sounds...

Opposing teams are trying to methodically burn the ball up the field. They value efficiency, time of possession, not letting our Defense have a chance at Takeaways (Dink and Dunk), with a big emphasis on the run game.

This kind of strategy does not generally translate to a lot of yards per game. So while we can all admire our #1 status, in reality we must remember that we have already lost 4 games to teams that AREN'T EVEN TRYING TO GET A TON OF YARDS... THEY JUST WANT ENOUGH YARDS TO WIN A GAME WITH A LOW NUMBER OF DRIVES.

FOR EXAMPLE:

- Dallas Cowboys (Ranked #6 in Yards Per Game, 401 yards VS Seahawks in 11 drives)
- San Diego Chargers (Ranked #20 in Yards Per Game, 377 yards VS Seahawks in 10 drives)

So on average in our 4 losses we are giving up 337.75 yards per game on 9.75 drives per game. That is 34.64 yards per drive for the opposing team which isn't much worst than our season average of 31.44.

So when judging our teams overall Defensive performance I really do think we need to account for the fact that TEAMS AREN'T EVEN TRYING TO RACK UP A TON OF YARDS ON US AS I EXPLAINED ABOVE.

The Chargers and the Cowboys happened to gain a ton of yards on us but they pretty much dominated us, that wasn't necessarily their goal.

In two of our losses we allowed an average of 286.5 yards, this is lower than our season average of 296.8 for rank #1!

So this whole concept is really hard to explain and seems counter-intuitive like "why would other teams not focus on gaining a ton of yards on us?!", but I think we just need to consider that there are many other factors contributing to why our Defense hasn't passed the eyeball test and why we already have 4 losses.

1) This year we are allowing 19.8 points per game, last season we allowed 14.4 points per game.

Before the Cardinals game we were allowing 21.5 points per game, that's 7.1 a.k.a. a full Touchdown more than last season!

If teams are trying to slow down the game against us to limit the number of drives (and inflating the value of each yard) then each of these statistics can really shed some light on why our Defense has looked so bad even though the yards allowed does not reflect that.

LAST SEASON WE WERE RANKED #1 IN TURNOVERS PER DRIVE! That is the main reason why teams are beating us with this strategy, we haven't been able to get the turnovers!

SUMMARY:

Teams are not trying to gain a ton of yards on us, they want to be efficient per drive with a low number of drives. This inflates the value of each yard, so our league leading yards/game is very misleading to how effective our defense has actually been.

When broken down in this manner it is clear to see why we have lost 4 games and why our Defense has not passed the eyeball test and has looked at times terrible.

If we cannot consistently generate turnovers to counter the opposing offensive strategy then our yards allowed per game do not accurately represent our performance.
giphy.gif

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would claim we're in the same vicinity of defense as last year, considering that was a near historic level effort. However, taking into account the struggles we've had this season, reclaiming the #1 spot is pretty awesome. It means we're trending in the right direction.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Great post Tokadub.
Yeah, even though we are now in the PLUS for TO margin, we are still far below where we were this time last year. So, we have to continue to gain traction there and commit to being stout on 3rd down and redzone defense.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Tokadub":v9gfzzku said:
MidwestHawker":v9gfzzku said:

FOR EXAMPLE:

SUMMARY:

My god you have a lot of free time. Go on a date for chrissakes.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I said the defensive ranking would be back among the top in the league a few weeks ago. After everyone was freaking out about the fourth ranked D that started the year facing Rodgers, Rivers, Manning and Romo in the first 5 weeks, the Seahawks were ranked 4th... Name another team that would be ranked in the top 5 after facing those QBs in the first 5 weeks of the season.