One thing i have seen no mention of yet (pass protection)

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
To me it seems like we quite often snap the ball in panic mode with 1 sec on the play clock. If I am a defensive lineman, i am going to jump like crazy on that, cause there is no way we can protect ourselves with cadence/ protection calls. I know all teams occasionally have to hurry to get the ball of in time, but with our struggles to pass protect this year should we not make it a priority to line up quickly so that we have time to use cadence/ change protection calls?

Cartire

Reaction score
Swedishhawkfan":1a6qbpzh said:
To me it seems like we quite often snap the ball in panic mode with 1 sec on the play clock. If I am a defensive lineman, i am going to jump like crazy on that, cause there is no way we can protect ourselves with cadence/ protection calls. I know all teams occasionally have to hurry to get the ball of in time, but with our struggles to pass protect this year should we not make it a priority to line up quickly so that we have time to use cadence/ change protection calls?

Part if it is schemed that way to take more time off the clock.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cartire":2trlp9dk said:
Swedishhawkfan":2trlp9dk said:

If that's true, it's not a good idea at all. I like to hope that's not true because it would speak to really bad situational coaching.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I agree. That again would be on Bevell being slow in calling in the play to RW.

And in addition to the predictable play calling, it made things that much difficult for the o-lineman. It seemed like all game yesterday, they were running 2 plays. Absolutely horrible Offensive coordinator!

Cartire

Reaction score
pehawk":tkj1o15t said:
Cartire":tkj1o15t said:
Swedishhawkfan":tkj1o15t said:

If that's true, it's not a good idea at all. I like to hope that's not true because it would speak to really bad situational coaching.

Watch New England. They do hurry up constantly, and then when they have a sizeable lead in the 4th, Brady takes the ball down to the 1-2 second mark often.

I'll admit though that with our o-line, we cant give them the jump.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would like to see us run more of a hurry up tempo offense to not only get into a rhythm faster, but to wear out the defense and keep them on their heels.

I think there is something to people who criticize taking the clock all the way down and Russell snapping the ball with less than three seconds every snap. It doesn't seem to help him not get crushed by a defense that's manhandling our line.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hhwv9y5 said:
I would like to see us run more of a hurry up tempo offense to not only get into a rhythm faster, but to wear out the defense and keep them on their heels.

I think there is something to people who criticize taking the clock all the way down and Russell snapping the ball with less than three seconds every snap. It doesn't seem to help him not get crushed by a defense that's manhandling our line.

Whatever, it's execution and injuries. Quit trying to blame Bevell.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember seeing Seattle snap the ball at 2 seconds a few times, but the OP makes a valid point. One of the drawbacks of milking the clock is that it helps the DL anticipate the snap. Milking the clock to one second before an empty backfield snap on 3rd down is asking for trouble more often than not, especially against a blitz heavy opponent. Timing the blitz is crucial, and predictable snaps help the defense a lot in this regard.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2j75tqd6 said:
I remember seeing Seattle snap the ball at 2 seconds a few times, but the OP makes a valid point. One of the drawbacks of milking the clock is that it helps the DL anticipate the snap. Milking the clock to one second before an empty backfield snap on 3rd down is asking for trouble more often than not, especially against a blitz heavy opponent. Timing the blitz is crucial, and predictable snaps help the defense a lot in this regard.

Pfft, whatever. All fans gripe about OC's. It was execution, the stadium timekeeper isn't getting enough separation.

This is all reactionary noise.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
LOL I have heard it all. So you think the entire D is focused on the play clock? If that were the case they would get off slower, you know since their watching the clock and not the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3g6cxa7n said:
LOL I have heard it all. So you think the entire D is focused on the play clock? If that were the case they would get off slower, you know since their watching the clock and not the ball.

Not focused on the clock, but the D definitely has more time to get into correct position and make signal changes when we take the entire play clock to run plays.

I get that Pete, Darrell and Russell want to run a ball possession clock draining style of offense that allows Russell the full 40 seconds to change the play if needed. But sometimes that seems to backfire when playing these good defenses.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
One of my biggest gripes about our offense. Getting to a tic or two on the clock is such a massive help to a pass rush. They know your next bark won't be intended to draw them offsides.

I think being agaisnt the clock constantly is mostly a product of our constantly changing personnel packages.

A lot of teams run a no huddle, not to run a lot more plays, but as an avenue to keep defenses from subbing. It also takes time to shuttle players in and out. I also think some of our offensive pre snap penalties are tied to the constant shuttling of players.

I do not think it is a coincidence that some of our best offensive production has come in the 2 and 4 minute offense, and that the 2 and 4 minute offense is when we substitute the least.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
It may also be to give Wilson more time to catch his breath. Between running and scrambling almost every play he never gets a chance to go to the side line for a breather. Just a thought. Or it could be to ensure that there is at least 40 seconds before he gets hit again, to limit the punishment :) j/k

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pehawk":ztw91qhn said:
Cartire":ztw91qhn said:
Swedishhawkfan":ztw91qhn said:

It's also the sole well-established path to beating Peyton Manning: keeping him off the field. Using the offense to sneak in a bit more defense.

It does have a tradeoff - defenses having more time to read and prepare for the snap. But given the youth of this team, it's probably the best strategy. Once we find a way to grow an offense together for a few years, we'll probably see the cadence of the offense speed up a bit as chemistry, experience, and coordination grow.

pehawk

Reaction score
The core guys have been playing under the same offense for what, 2.5 seasons? I understand the why and the theory behind it, but it was a bad play this week. 4th string center, blitzing defense, against a 2 string QB on a team that cant run the ball. It was horrific situational football by the offense, it made no sense...

Unless my theory is true; Bevell's calling a game for another of his multi-verse bodys? Maybe on Earth-45 the Hawks we're playing the Bronco's and the strategy was sound?

A lot of excuses for just bad decisions here.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":221rnb3e said:
Sgt. Largent":221rnb3e said:

Whatever, it's execution and injuries. Quit trying to blame Bevell.

Didn't they try to uptempo in the Raiders game and RW got picked?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think most teams do this when they have a lead and are trying to wear down the clock.

I also don't get the argument that it gives the D-line a chance to jump the snap. When they are in their stance they can't see the clock. This argument makes little sense to me. Maybe the linebackers can see this but you're still coached to watch the ball and take off on movement. No one is watching the clock and timing it. I could be wrong though?

xoxo
D. Bevell

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Isn't running the play clock to zero an acknowledged part of Carroll's philosophy? It keeps his defense off the field longer, and let's be honest, his defense is priority #1. Pete also likes to limit the number of plays in any given game so that every game can swing on turnovers/explosives/special teams; things that he tries to coach up better than anyone else in the NFL.

Running it to zero is about more than the offense, I think. Goes into Pete's larger philosophies of the game -- affects his defense and whatever kooky win probability formulas he's cooking up. This team can line up quicker and snap it quickly if necessary; they show that in their two minute offense. But I don't think they have the greenlight to do it otherwise.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":22rm9k2o said:
I think most teams do this when they have a lead and are trying to wear down the clock.

I also don't get the argument that it gives the D-line a chance to jump the snap. When they are in their stance they can't see the clock. This argument makes little sense to me. Maybe the linebackers can see this but you're still coached to watch the ball and take off on movement. No one is watching the clock and timing it. I could be wrong though?

xoxo
D. Bevell

I don't think it would be beneficial for the 'd' to watch the clock.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I see what you did there. Well played.

The more I think about it the less I think this is plausible. 16 point lead and running down the clock. It's boring but probably smart.