Pathetic Play Calling/CLock Management in Last 3 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
I know it worked out, but they completely mismanaged that last possession...

3 minutes left in easy field goal range, no timeouts and you throw on 1st down???

Run the ball 3 times, kick the field goal, make it a 3 score game.

Why did Russ go out of bounds on 3rd down???

And they didn't even go for the field goal. Odds are they weren't going to block it, let alone return it for a TD.

rain7

Reaction score
Yep, that's all I can think about as well. /sarcasm

irocdave

Reaction score
Enjoy the win my friend, enjoy the win. If you want to see poor clock management and play calling re watch the game and focus on the team in red. Poor coaching, play calling and clock management are abundant.

grizbob

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":2mo1k0n7 said:
I know it worked out, but they completely mismanaged that last possession...

3 minutes left in easy field goal range, no timeouts and you throw on 1st down???

Run the ball 3 times, kick the field goal, make it a 3 score game.

Why did Russ go out of bounds on 3rd down???

And they didn't even go for the field goal. Odds are they weren't going to block it, let alone return it for a TD.

I could not possibly care less. :roll:

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
They knew SF had no chance. End the game or turnover deep in their end.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
It sounds like you'd rather have better clock management than a win.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Going for it was smart. They wanted to keep the clock going and didn't want to risk a block. If your first reaction after beating a division opponent is disappointment I don't know how to help.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Going for it means clock keeps moving and no chance of a blocked FG

evergreen

Reaction score
Plus the D is back! I get the guy's point though. Earlier in the season bad things could've happened. I am very thankful for a rare win in SF and 8-4. Plus 12-4 is looking more possible if we can keep it rollin'

RiverDog

Reaction score
Great win, but that does not obscure the fact that we should have kicked the FG at the end of the game. It would have made a 2 score game into a 3 score game.

I also thought Pete should have challenged the play at the goal line in the first half, but I admittedly didn't see every angle and am not sure they would have seen enough to overturn the call on the field.

Nit picky to be sure.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I mean I think I'd rather have kicked it as well, but the argument for what Pete did is pretty reasonable I think. And in any case it was a call made when the game was functionally over, so whatever.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
RiverDog":28m1fnem said:
Great win, but that does not obscure the fact that we should have kicked the FG at the end of the game. It would have made a 2 score game into a 3 score game.

I also thought Pete should have challenged the play at the goal line in the first half, but I admittedly didn't see every angle and am not sure they would have seen enough to overturn the call on the field.

Nit picky to be sure.
What are the odds of a team scoring 2 TD's and 2 2 pt conversions in that time span? They score one TD...no TO's, we most likely just kneel it the rest of the way

Status
Not open for further replies.