TE play of late

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Has been much improved over the earlier part of the season. Although Helfet didn't play tonight he has been very good the last few weeks, Luke has improved his run blocking greatly over last season and has been much more consistent catching the ball the last few weeks when thrown the ball and Tony Moeaki has been superb since we picked him up in both blocking and catching the ball. Hope they continue to improve each week from here on out.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
All of a sudden, it's a strength. Moeaki has become a great safety valve for Russell

rjdriver

Reaction score
Nice positive post Blitz. Well done. I agree completely. The TE spot is slowly transforming from one of our liabilities to one of our strengths. As long as Luke can hold on to the ball consistently, I kind of like this three headed monster.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Just like how Miller was for Wilson, I'm thinking Miller might not be here next year if Moeaki keeps playing the way he has been playing.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
rjdriver":2sfu5pmy said:
Nice positive post Blitz. Well done. I agree completely. The TE spot is slowly transforming from one of our liabilities to one of our strengths. As long as Luke can hold on to the ball consistently, I kind of like this three headed monster.

I've had at least 3 tonight.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I hope Moeaki can stay healthy, because damn he looks good.

To put it in perspective, this guy looks every bit as good as any of our TE's, and better than most, and he's only been here 3 weeks.

He might've single handedly solved our TE problem. Willson looked decent tonight too, but he's steadily blooming into a good player vs. the Niners.

hawk45

Reaction score
Offense looks completely different with functional TEs. Moeaki is ridiculous for how new he is to the team, real rapport with Russ. Feel like a jurevicious signing a bit.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Much improvement from the TE position as of late. Shows how much it opens up the offense with weapons at TE to throw to.

Most of the great offenses have a legit tight end on the team.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I loved the Moeaki pick up from the start and he hasn't disappointed. The bigger surprise has been Helfelt. I gained so much respect for him on his TD last week. Willson came back with a big game today and a position of weakness has suddenly become a strength. As young as Moeaki is I find it hard to not see him on this roster in the future unless the injury bug hits again. He has been very impressive.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Competition is a wonderful thing for sure. I think Willson felt the pressure and stepped up his game as well. Good to see. I also really like the Moeaki signing.

capncrunch

Reaction score
It's easier for me to evaluate TE pass receiving effectiveness than blocking effectiveness. Off the top, I would say that ZM is a better blocker than the other three. I remember one play last night where Moeackl whiffed on a block that led to ML getting tackled before he could reach the line of scrimmage. I like the signing very much though and it's classic PC/JS finding a diamond in the rough and letting him compete. There have been cases of guys who couldn't seem to stay healthy but then have a nice run. I hope for that. Willson brings some nice speed to the position and doesn't go down so easily. I think Russel had some nice touch on the passes last night which helped. It was nice and dry and not so cold outside. They managed to get them some passes where they weren't immediately tagged by the D. I look forward to seeing Helfet in the mix but have to admit. I'm really liking what I see from Moeaki right now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I love what Coop has done..He has made Willson play better thats for sure..I feel good about our TE situation from this point on...I think Miller will be gone(no fault of his) but we have 2 good TE and a Hybrid who's a TE/FB that can catch,run and block well..

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
When is Miller due back? I don't think miller will be gone next year, his value at what we are paying him is ridiculous
I do like the new guy, he is either better then cooper and luke OR he makes them play better then they were.

Either way.... any receivers out there? LOL

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Moeaki has great hands. He makes enough blocks. But I think his fire drill rapport with Wilson is something this team has been missing. Miller had it, but was so glacial. Moeaki made what would have been a 15 yard Miller pass into a huge play last night. Still wish Pete would have challenged. I think they were worried Moeaki had stepped out and were in a rush to get a play off.

Willson is getting better at blocking. I think a 2 TE set at the goaline is a vital part of our identity, and Moeaki and Willson have to be good enough at blocking to justify that look. I think vs Philly we will see that from them, I think they have to be a part of fixing our red zone because the rest of our targets don't have enough size to post anyone up off play action.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2i2ut5jc said:
Moeaki has great hands. He makes enough blocks. But I think his fire drill rapport with Wilson is something this team has been missing. Miller had it, but was so glacial. Moeaki made what would have been a 15 yard Miller pass into a huge play last night. Still wish Pete would have challenged. I think they were worried Moeaki had stepped out and were in a rush to get a play off.

Willson is getting better at blocking. I think a 2 TE set at the goaline is a vital part of our identity, and Moeaki and Willson have to be good enough at blocking to justify that look. I think vs Philly we will see that from them, I think they have to be a part of fixing our red zone because the rest of our targets don't have enough size to post anyone up off play action.

I couldn't believe Pete didn't challenge either. Sideline looked clean. At a minimum, spot should have been on 6-inch line, not on 1.

Nice points about Miller vs. Moeaki and for sure with Miller it would have been a nice 15-yard pickup, where Moeaki turned it into something special.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I hope they consider keeping Moeaki on for next season. Let Willson, Helfet, and McCoy battle it out for the final spot.