Thankful for leaders (players) on this team

joeseahawks

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, this team was given for dead. The national media was about to wreck this team with the Harvin trade, the "unhappiness" of certain players, the Marshawn Lynch never ending discussions, the debates over Richard Sherman, the consequences of the new NFL rules on our defense, then the injuries to Mebane and Unger, the questioning of the RW progression, ... etc (you all know the drill). Even some of the fans gave up and wanted this team blown up (you all know who you are)... etc

The leaders of the team came together (not the coaches, not the management). The players had a talk amongst themselves.
What they say to one another, we don't need to know and honestly I don't care. But the results have been amazing.
No, we are not completely out of the wood yet, but the trajectory is upwards trending.
We are playing lights out on D#, the offense has been able to sustain drives after drives against the best defenses in the NFL. We are forcing turnovers and aren't turning it over. We are back to playing the type of games that gave us the SB.

I want to say, I'm thankful for the leader of this team, who have been able to rally the troops, get everyone focus on one goal. I'm very proud of this team. What's even more stunning is how new pieces have fit in seamlessly. We pick up a few guys "from the streets" and they turn into true ballers.
A lot of times, team fail because they lack leaders. Their locker rooms are in total despair and everyone is rolling on their own agendas.

With this team, I feel it is different. This team has NEVER been blown out in ANY game the last 3 years. Isn't this amazing?
Even at our worst, we are still darn good.
Good leadership doesn't mean we are going to win each and every game, but we are going to give our best effort every game and we are going to give ourselves a chance to win every game. I don't know who these leaders are, I don't want to call any individual by name, but I'm thankful to have these guys in my team.

Considering that this team is still very young and that many of these leaders are under contract (or will be soon), I think we are in good hands going forward.

legend38

Reaction score
They mentioned something during the game last night about one of the players asking Chancellor to talk to the team, which it sounds like he doesn't feel comfortable doing. Would be interesting to get more than the cliff notes of this story.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
legend38":199spv2j said:
They mentioned something during the game last night about one of the players asking Chancellor to talk to the team, which it sounds like he doesn't feel comfortable doing. Would be interesting to get more than the cliff notes of this story.
What I gleaned from the post-game interviews is Kam went around and "talked" to each player (defense only?) about what they needed to do... the specifics ended there.

GFang

Reaction score
Great post.

This team could have easily been another victim of the post Super Bowl hangover. Too young, too many egos, infighting, injuries, blah blah blah. We could have accepted that the West would be won by Arizona. However, no other team in the NFL can match our ferocity and passion for the game. And no team has the camaraderie of the Hawks. You bust your butt and compete, and you will be welcomed as brothers (Tukuafu, Dobbs, Moeaki). We aren't letting another team take OUR trophy, not without a bloody brawl. :141847_bnono:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Good post!

It honestly bothered me earlier this season when I kept hearing "This is not the same team" repeated over and over.
Maybe they weren't playing like the same team... Maybe they lost a few key pieces... Factors have been discussed ad nauseam.... But in my mind they were always the same team.

Hawks are still a young team. And the core of the talent is still there. While the leadership of Red/Clem/MRob/etc. is gone, it seemed only a matter of time before the young players figured it out and things started jelling again. Without the injuries/drama/post SB unknowns I think it would have happened sooner. Earl, Kam, Sherm, Wags, RW...on the surface that's a pretty motivated core group right there. And I agree they will keep the Hawks relevant for awhile anyway.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1i8wqxwp said:
Good post!

It honestly bothered me earlier this season when I kept hearing "This is not the same team" repeated over and over.
Maybe they weren't playing like the same team... Maybe they lost a few key pieces... Factors have been discussed ad nauseam.... But in my mind they were always the same team.

Hawks are still a young team. And the core of the talent is still there. While the leadership of Red/Clem/MRob/etc. is gone, it seemed only a matter of time before the young players figured it out and things started jelling again. Without the injuries/drama/post SB unknowns I think it would have happened sooner. Earl, Kam, Sherm, Wags, RW...on the surface that's a pretty motivated core group right there. And I agree they will keep the Hawks relevant for awhile anyway.

It wasn't the same team, and it's still not the same team (technically). The most significant change, IMO, is the leadership void that you touched on. The secondary and linebackers are largely unchanged and have every type of leadership imaginable, but there is a sucking black hole of a leadership vacuum on the DL with Red and Clemmons gone. Bennett sensed it and did his best, but a goofball during the week who is serious on Sundays -when things aren't going well- does not a leader make. Hard for his team mates to take that seriously. I'm pretty sure Earl finally got fed up with it when he got vocal with them. Earl will fire up some and piss off others. Kam doesn't run his mouth, but when he opens it I think everyone really pays attention. Good one-two punch having Early rile them up, then Kam sort it out and glue it together.