The Spin Zone: Enter at your own risk.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Thanksgiving has come and gone, but the tears in Santa Clara are here to stay. The 49ers have been measured, they have been weighed, they have been found absolutely wanting. The win was made extra special by the few jabs thrown in by the network and of course Richard Sherman himself. The post game show is probably keeping drywall contractors in the bay area very busy today. The close up shots of Sherman and Wilson eating the turkey legs on the 49ers logo was classic, followed by the many shots of Sherman's wry smile that stretched cheek to cheek. I savored every moment of it much like a wine aficionado prolongs the experience of drinking a fine wine. The nodes of bitterness with undertones sorrow coming out of Santa Clara make for exceptionally robust tears.

We are back.

On defense the Seahawks have returned to 2013 form in a big way. Maxwell and the humble thug molested the 49ers wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. It did not matter where the 49ers put their playmakers, they all struggled getting off of the line of scrimmage, and conversely getting any separation.

This is one of the best defensive games that Quinn ever called. He took a page out of the Dick LeBeau handbook, we ran a metric ton of stunts, and zone blitzes in classic Pittsburgh Steeler fashion. We used a lot of 3-4 looks, especially when we were doing zone blitzes. The game plan was simple: we kept a spy in the middle of the field (mostly Bennett) so that Kaepernick wouldn't be able to gash us up the middle like he did in the NFC Championship game. We had Irvin and Avril contain Kaepernick in the pocket. Both of them were excellent at playing disciplined football, for the most part Kaepernick could not get outside of the pocket thanks to their efforts. The stunts and zone-blitz's wrecked all kinds of havoc on the 49ers offensive line. Quinn did an excellent job manufacturing pass rush with his schemes.

Dobbs, Bennett, and Hill all had monster games rushing the passer. Hill, and Dobbs especially made Iupati look more like James Carpenter. Over the last three weeks, Hill has looked like an imposing force during passing downs. I keep seeing him get penetration, I like how he is coming along, he finally looks to be getting it. Our best defensive lineman was an unlikely hero: Dobbs the freshly signed D-Lineman from San Francisco. He played a monster game, the 49ers had no answer for him. He seemed to be in on practically every play. The 49ers put two guys on him at one point, and he still made fools of them.

Wagner makes all of the difference in the world. When the defense was out of position, Wagner would direct them to the right position. His speed is a killer, whenever the 49ers tried running a misdirection play, or spread formations Wagner's speed shut them down. With Wagner on the field teams can no longer threaten the Seahawks horizontally.

Kam Chancellor? Do I need to say anything? He is the 49er slayer, the 49er players looked visibly afraid of his presence. He was very active in the rushing defense.

Russell Wilson had his most complete game as a pure passer of his career IMO. He was passing out of traditional formations, and looked like a natural. For the last three weeks he looks like he has been working on his pocket work, it all came together against the 49ers. He was running 3 step timing routes with great ease, he was working the middle of the field more than I have ever seen before. It almost looked like an old Holmgren style offense (with the redzone derps). Wilson made great decisions on when to scramble and when to give up on a play. People were disappointed that he didn't run more, I say WHY? He looked awesome as a pocket passer. Wilson has developed a "no-look pass" this season. He's starting to move safeties with his eyes, a good example is last week. The Chiefs safety inexplicity dropped his coverage on (Kease I think it was????) leaving not a soul being within 10 yards of Kearse. At the last moment Wilson barely turns his head and throws the football Kearse's way. Wilson did the same thing against the 49ers, though it was not as noticeable on that play. By contrast look at Kaepernick who stared down his receivers all day. It made life very easy on Sherman, he could tell where Kaepernick was going better than Kaepernicks actual receivers.

It seems Bevell has been reading our boards... He's finally ditched the bush league offense and went to a more traditional WCO approach. We used a lot more timing routes, and slant passes. Wilson spent a good amount of time under center which was surprising, we even utilized the passing game out of the i-formation which was a first in the Wilson era. I for one liked it. The two tight end sets really helped out our pass blockers with chips and checkdown options, it especially made Britt's life easy. We need to keep getting our tight ends involved in the passing game, as of right now they look like our biggest, and most competent playmakers on offense. Helfet, Willson, and Moeaki all have shown more flashes than any of our receivers this season.

rideaducati

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3on1zgt3 said:
Who's Dobbs? Do you mean Dodd? Yeah, Dodd was awesome. Great pickup.

The back of his jersey says Dobbs. Who is right? I presume Dobbs is correct because Dobbs is listed on the Seahawks roster and there isn't anyone named Dodd.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Oh I follow fella, nice write up. What pissed me off was the tryptophan and alcohol yesterday. By gawd if I didn't sleep through the entire 1st half.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wilson looked better from the pocket because there was a pocket. this was the best pass protection all year, which was impressive since it is a very talented DL. Okung may be back, he did great against Aldon Smith

rideaducati

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3dezx46u said:
Naw man, that Dodd guy on the D-line was awesome.

Dodd is not listed on any Seahawk roster. Dobbs is number 95 and plays on the D-line. A FA pick up that used to play for the whiners.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I really hope Dodd continues to play the way he did yesterday. Dodd is turning into my favorite player.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
rideaducati":xl3qkcpu said:
peachesenregalia":xl3qkcpu said:

The back of his jersey says Dobbs. Who is right? I presume Dobbs is correct because Dobbs is listed on the Seahawks roster and there isn't anyone named Dodd.

It's Dodd dude, HIS NAME IS DODD.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I know it's bad over there right now but there is a real possibility come week 17 the Niners could be playing to put us in the driver seat. If we were to win out and AZ's only loss was to us that final game between AZ and San Fran would determine the winner of the division and potential seeding. A niner win could volt us from the 5 seed all the way to the #1 seed.

How much fun would it be to be saying Go Niners in the final week of regulation? Do you think the Niner fans would even want to win if it didn't mean they get into the playoffs but a win would greatly strengthen our playoff position? Or do you think Harbaugh would throw the game even with his job on the hot seat?

Could be entertaining.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2pwla44p said:
rideaducati":2pwla44p said:
peachesenregalia":2pwla44p said:

It's Dodd dude, HIS NAME IS DODD.

His name is DOBBS dude, HIS NAME IS DOBBS.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hey Spin Doctor I know alot of people's been hard on you, but I'm in the mind people will have their opinion and sometimes you just gotta respect it. I like your analyses of this game. I really think having Lemuel as center gave Russell more confidence protecting that middle. Our Tight End plays have been great and with a Healthy Helfet coming back, I think we might have a 100 yard TE next game. Remember in 2012 we played 4 straight blowout games. If our defense keeps playing this way i can see that happening again.

kearly

Reaction score
The spin zone? This is genius.

Nice OP. Hope to see more.