Goal line camera angle

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Where was the camera that shoots straight down the goal line? Anybody ever not seen that angle on a big broadcast before? I think we would have had the TD if that angle had been available

JKent82

Reaction score
They really need two permanent cameras on each side of the end zone pointing straight down the line that are completely stationary and are just used for challenges.

Except that'd make too much sense. :roll:

irocdave

Reaction score
I found it amazing that they didn't have a goal line shot of the called non TD but after a commercial break they could pull up video of a lineman down field after a near blocked punt that turned in to a turnover fro the Hawks. THAT pissed me off. F'ing NFL trying to dictate outcomes of games and the announcers played right in to it....PATHETIC. You don't get to see the questionable calls replayed unless they are sliced and diced so you only see a small portion, most times, they don't even show a replay of the penalty against the hawks. That illegal man down field replay seemed so orchestrated. The announcers seemed outraged, yet the total BS pick play and taunting penalties against the Hawks registered zero outrage. I get it, keeping the game close, but if a niner fans brings this up they need to be slapped around. The Hawks took the short end of the stick with officiating again. Just like every game this year.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
There should be a standard "minimum" package of camera angles set up for each game to make sure replay systems have basic angles to cover goal lines, side lines, back lines, etc.

It would be OK to have more, but there should be a standard package for every NFL game to make sure there is none of this "we didn't have the shot" excuses that seem to be quite common.

GO HAWKS!!!

mikeak

Reaction score
^ agreed.

I called for the team to challenge. Not because I saw conclusive evidence but because a prime time game had to have better angles available to the people in NY looking at this

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't doubt that someone will find an angle that shows he was in. Funny how the NFL can't find it, but it sure looked like his arm was extended well before his knee was down.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of sports employ a form of goal line technology, I don't know why the NFL don't. The most popular method is called Hawk-Eye (used in soccer and tennis among others), how appropriate would that be?

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The issue here is not so much if the ball passed the goal line, but was he down before the ball crossed the goal line so some kind of ball sensor at the goal line would be useless in this case.

A standard set of camera angles that would include a view looking straight down the goal line plus at least a given amount of distance before the goal line would in this case be able to answer the question was he down by contact before the ball passed the goal line or not.

The only reply shown on TV that was even close was behind the goal line so it was impossible to determine if it was or was not indeed a touchdown.

Bottom line today is PC did not challenge the play so it's over and done with.

GO HAWKS!!!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SonicHawk":23ec3e5u said:
Just put a sensor in the ball.
I've been saying that for a while. Is it that hard to put a sensor in the ball and pylons?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
12HawkFan":3gkprmr8 said:
The issue here is not so much if the ball passed the goal line, but was he down before the ball crossed the goal line so some kind of ball sensor at the goal line would be useless in this case.

A standard set of camera angles that would include a view looking straight down the goal line plus at least a given amount of distance before the goal line would in this case be able to answer the question was he down by contact before the ball passed the goal line or not.

The only reply shown on TV that was even close was behind the goal line so it was impossible to determine if it was or was not indeed a touchdown.

Bottom line today is PC did not challenge the play so it's over and done with.

GO HAWKS!!!
No shit...isn't that always the issue with plays around the goal line

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree with establishing some sort of electronic means of determining if the ball broke the plane. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if technology exists that could use GPS to determine if the ball broke the plane.

But the lack of a camera angle should not have been a reason not to challenge. They are not required to have a conclusive camera view showing the ball breaking the plane to overturn a call on the field. They can use a composite of multiple camera angles, pick common points of reference, and deduce where the ball was in relation to the goal line when his knee contacted the ground. It's similar to creating a 3D computer simulation.

It was the first half, and losing the timeout would not have been a huge deal, especially when we were already up by a touchdown and were getting the ball first in the 2nd half. Losing a challenge wouldn't have been a big deal, either, as we still would have had one challenge in our pocket to cover us for about 2 quarters, taking into consideration that all challenges go to the booth in the final two minutes and that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

We should have challenged it, but I think Pete has this illusion that we have this awesome red zone offense and should have had no problem punching it in from that range.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JKent82":yqj0ngx0 said:
They really need two permanent cameras on each side of the end zone pointing straight down the line that are completely stationary and are just used for challenges.

Except that'd make too much sense. :roll:
Well that and you couldn't do what's necessary to keep the score close and the TV viewership level as high as possible.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Is Pete even allowed to challenge that play? Aren't all scoring or in this case potentially scoring plays automatically reviewed. I thought he didn't throw the flag because it would have resulted in a delay of game penalty and then the play would not be reviewable. I thought his only real option would have been timeout, to give them more time to look at it. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":s5lagcbt said:
SonicHawk":s5lagcbt said:
I've been saying that for a while. Is it that hard to put a sensor in the ball and pylons?

I agree, but how would it have mattered on this particular play? The ball crossed the goal line, but the question is was Moeaki's knee down at the time.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":21cwo7ts said:
-The Glove-":21cwo7ts said:
SonicHawk":21cwo7ts said:

I agree, but how would it have mattered on this particular play? The ball crossed the goal line, but the question is was Moeaki's knee down at the time.

Put a sensor in Moeaki's knee?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2b9eoda2 said:
-The Glove-":2b9eoda2 said:
SonicHawk":2b9eoda2 said:

I'm sure they could devise a process where the video replay stops the instant the sensor is triggered at which point they could see if his knee had hit the ground or not.