Earl Thomas--the best leader in the NFL?

Tical21

Reaction score
We were 3-3 and looking above average at best. Throughout the previous five weeks, we were pretty lifeless, which just isn't the way we win. We were giving effort and had plenty of focus, but we weren't having fun. Everybody was tight. I noticed Earl flying around and celebrating after seemingly meaningless plays. We're struggling against the Raiders, and Earl is jumping on his teammates shoulders like we're winning the Super Bowl. Is he crazy? He was just getting going. Now he does it on just about every play, even if we give up a first down. He's just so excited to be out there and playing with his teammates, especially Kam. Finally, it started rubbing off on everybody else. Everybody else got excited again. Mebane, Bennett and Avril are having fun. Bruce is gliding all over the field. It almost seems like fake enthusiasm, until you realize that this is who Earl is. There is nothing pretentious about it. He just decided that he was not going to allow this to not be a fun season. He preaches the togetherness and the enthusiasm and lives it every play. I've never seen one player infect a whole team like this. With all due respect to Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc., I think we're watching the best leader in the NFL lifting his team towards the promised land.

Brahn

Reaction score
Hes the best 5' 10" 202lb.Safety in the league hands down, he plays like hes 6' 6" 240lb.

titan3131

Reaction score
Somebody had to step up. There was weight to mrob talking about losing leadership.

One thing I think they shouldnt have done was name ryan and hashkua capts. O believe the capts were a formal title not earned for those two.

Not to say they aren't amazing. But I think it needs to be leaders.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I will say ET is a special player. When he gets interviewed it doesn't say the things most other players say. Sometimes I don't even understand WHAT he is saying. Football seems to have a deeper meaning to him. It is very interesting to listen to him.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
For the Seahawks, he will replace many historic defensive players as a top, if not the top, Seahawks defensive hero (probably late 2020's,, early 2030's). Nothing against the 80's studs but I often tell people at the bar that ET is our best player on the team and they look at me in such disbelief ,,,, like I've committed sacrilege against my own team.

Smellyman

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2schyt6t said:
For the Seahawks, he will replace many historic defensive players as a top, if not the top, Seahawks defensive hero (probably late 2020's,, early 2030's). Nothing against the 80's studs but I often tell people at the bar that ET is our best player on the team and they look at me in such disbelief ,,,, like I've committed sacrilege against my own team.

I thought everybody on earth knew he was the best FS in the league and quite possibly best player on the team.

You need to hang out with smarter people at the bar

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":x2ujsxmz said:

You think Earl will play to the late 2020s or early 2030s? I think that may be stretching it quuuiite a bit.

I mean, I hope he does because he's amazing, but that is wishful thinking. And if anyone could, I wouldn't put it past it being him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think there are a large percentage of people on this earth that look to leadership. That said, that kind of need for leadership generally doesn't apply to NFL players as much as the general populace just for the simple fact that there is a higher percentage of alpha personalities in NFL player personalities than in said general populace.

So while the average NFL fan loves to have their idols the the NFL player treads on dangerous ground here. Hence why Wagner stated that there wasn't going to be any drama between the DL and DBs with him standing there and also why ET himself said that he needs to work on his delivery.

Furthermore, I think the fact that Kam went to every player speaks volumes. And I think it was more well received from him because he's part of the continuity between the front 7 and the back 4 and he's no cheerleader. When he talks, it needs to be said.

All in all, while on the surface it seemed like there needed to be some sort of hierarchy established to some, I think you missed the whole part about "something beautiful" coming from something that could have gotten out of hand. It's not just ET here. It's all of them.

Keep it real.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1pjnvk4o said:
I think Earl is the best single player in the NFL.
His marital status has nothing to do with this. Save it for the 'Well Beyond a Man crush' thread. [emoji10]

-The Glove-

Reaction score
How can his passion not be infectious...the guy clearly loves the game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ekrqtie said:
I think there are a large percentage of people on this earth that look to leadership. That said, that kind of need for leadership generally doesn't apply to NFL players as much as the general populace just for the simple fact that there is a higher percentage of alpha personalities in NFL player personalities than in said general populace.

So while the average NFL fan loves to have their idols the the NFL player treads on dangerous ground here. Hence why Wagner stated that there wasn't going to be any drama between the DL and DBs with him standing there and also why ET himself said that he needs to work on his delivery.

Furthermore, I think the fact that Kam went to every player speaks volumes. And I think it was more well received from him because he's part of the continuity between the front 7 and the back 4 and he's no cheerleader. When he talks, it needs to be said.

All in all, while on the surface it seemed like there needed to be some sort of hierarchy established to some, I think you missed the whole part about "something beautiful" coming from something that could have gotten out of hand. It's not just ET here. It's all of them.

Keep it real.
Where others are annointing him as some champion of leadership, you sell him short, IMO.
Everyone involved with this played an important role. Let's call Earl the catalyst that started the change of mindset. Bobby brought the flames under control, and Kam directed them to each player in a way they could 'feel,' and buy into. Many worthwhile changes begin with a shakeup/chaos that is sorted out in a meaningful way.

Earl realized something needed 'recaptured,' just as Pete was preaching from the beginning of off season. There is alot to be said for getting the ball rolling. Such a profound change might not have happened otherwise.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":27im819n said:
vin.couve12":27im819n said:

Keep it real.
Where others are annointing him as some champion of leadership, you sell him short, IMO.
Everyone involved with this played an important role. Let's call Earl the catalyst that started the change of mindset. Bobby brought the flames under control, and Kam directed them to each player in a way they could 'feel,' and buy into. Many worthwhile changes begin with a shakeup/chaos that is sorted out in a meaningful way.

Earl realized something needed 'recaptured,' just as Pete was preaching from the beginning of off season. There is alot to be said for getting the ball rolling. Such a profound change might not have happened otherwise.

Intent is not to degrade ET's input and influence. Only to put it in perspective.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not in any of the locker rooms, so it's pretty hard for me to tell who the best leader on our team is let alone the best in the league. We lost a big locker room presence when we let Red Bryant walk, so one of the veterans needed to step up and fill the void. Earl's been in the league for 5 years now and his play certainly give him a lot of credibility in the eyes of his teammates so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a great leader. There's certainly been nothing either on or off the field that would make a person think otherwise.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
His style has sure changed.

Percy before and after had this team in doldrums. Players, including Thomas tried to do too much and lost assignment soundness. Injuries had players in roles that were undefined to them.

I don't know how to categorize his leadership, I notice Wagner's presence sure makes Earl a more active player behind him.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I believe this team has plenty of great leaders and Earl is one of them.
Kam, Richard, Marshawn, Russell ... all of these guys lead in their own way.
Although he doesn't speak a lot, I think Lynch is the true offensive leader on this team. He leads by example.
We got plenty of guys on the team who speak up their mind on and off the field. Richard, Doug are just a few examples.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zensbhl said:
His style has sure changed.

Percy before and after had this team in doldrums. Players, including Thomas tried to do too much and lost assignment soundness. Injuries had players in roles that were undefined to them.

I don't know how to categorize his leadership, I notice Wagner's presence sure makes Earl a more active player behind him.

Wagner's presence makes a number of players more active, in particular KJ Wright. IMO Wagner is the most underrated player on our team.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think I have to disagree with the earlier poster on leadership. When it comes to professional players and elite groups like this leadership is paramount. When you have a bunch of headstrong people you more than ever need those who can command respect and yet push others to get the best out of them in way that is good for the collective. Leadership takes many forms but when you have good leadership and everyone knows it. It is much easier to be a leader with a bunch of sheep. In sports there is a lifelong grooming of learning who to follow. If you follow the wrong ones havoc will erupt.

We had a bit of a vacuum after the superbowl because of change but also because they achieved the ultimate goal for that season. I think the Percy thing had a much deeper ripple than many of us ever knew and caused a schism. I think two weeks ago whatever happened the air was cleared and it probably took an emotional teardown to rebuild.

You can now feel and see the difference this team jut looks different, they are all flying around. They look like they want to punish everyone again. So let the fun begin.