Pete Carroll on Bobby Wagner

xgeoff

Reaction score
Did anyone else think it was strange when Bobby Wagner returned and, in the press conference after the game, Pete Carroll made a comment (or shared a comment he made) about not knowing how important Bobby Wagner was to the D?

I can't remember what exactly he said, and I can't seem to locate the transcript, but I remember thinking to myself that I was shocked that this was a revelation to Carroll.

It doesn't take an NFL Coach to be able to see that Wagner is the cornerstone of the Defense. IMO, the guy is a tackling machine and is the most important guy on the defense. And this was obvious last season but especially obvious when he was out of the lineup.

I guess I just assume that Carroll is poring over game film and that this stuff should be relatively obvious.

Msfann

Reaction score
I think he said something like he didn't realize how much of a difference maker Bobby is until he came back.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
Msfann":1riwlb8n said:
I think he said something like he didn't realize how much of a difference maker Bobby is until he came back.

Yes, exactly. And I just thought to myself "Really!?..."

Msfann

Reaction score
I think it was more of a compliment than anything though and not so much that he didn't know Wagner was so good already.

As in I knew he was good but I didn't realize how good until he couldn't play and the team had issues without him, then he comes back and makes things easier for everyone.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I suppose we sign him to an extension then? Given he's a core player right? Just asking to make sure I'm not offbase.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":12ydeqv2 said:
I suppose we sign him to an extension then? Given he's a core player right? Just asking to make sure I'm not offbase.

Thankfully he is not a free agent till 2016, so he's already locked in for next season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It was a joke by PC, nothing to get excited about. Wagner is absolutely critical to this team I hope he gets extended next year with Russell.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pete has a weird relationship with Wags. He's always very hesitant to give him praise. I've heard Pete say, plenty of times, "it's a product of the scheme, he's the one in position to make the tackles" when asked about Wags tackle numbers. Pete's always handing him passive-aggressive statements through the media.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Team comes before any one player. That's how coaches should be. KJ Wright does a fine job too, the praise is always targeted towards a team. A win is way too important than just one player. That's why Harvin is not with us anymore. We play as a team and win as a team. We overcome injuries and the next man up philosophy. Our rookies are all getting playing time. That is important so that when we play in the big stage, its just a normal game for them.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I think it's likely it was a joke, but even if it wasn't, it's somewhat understandable. We knew Bobby was good. No doubt. But previously we had a good enough line, and then the LOB behind, that we could give a little in the middle. But with Mebane out, Bobby is really showing how good he is had keep gaps shut

Melencause

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1rrk3ftk said:

Wags is definitely getting signed. Prob gonna extend Irvin and drop Malcolm too.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Melencause":1phloapj said:
MizzouHawkGal":1phloapj said:

Wags is definitely getting signed. Prob gonna extend Irvin and drop Malcolm too.

I could see them signing Irvin and Wagner and letting K.J. and Malcolm walk. I have a feeling Pierre-Louis will be a starter sooner rather than later.

Most likely won't have the cap room to sign all of these linebackers... (especially if Lynch gets a new deal??).. PC/JS are going to have to pick and choose a couple of them to retain.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pehawk":w90y61wg said:
Pete has a weird relationship with Wags. He's always very hesitant to give him praise. I've heard Pete say, plenty of times, "it's a product of the scheme, he's the one in position to make the tackles" when asked about Wags tackle numbers. Pete's always handing him passive-aggressive statements through the media.

I think it has to do with Carroll being a secondary guy, and I think he views his defense as built around a top-notch secondary and effective pass rush. I have always gotten the feeling that he views linebackers as very replaceable. That could be why he was surprised at the difference in the team's performance with backup LBs in the rotation.

rigelian

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner coming back improves the Seahawks in two different ways, 1st Wagner is the best middle linebacker on the team and perhaps the best n the league, 2nd, one of the best outside linebackers, KJ Wright gets to play outside linebacker. Wagner coming back upgrades two positions not one.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
rigelian":hnkvz5jw said:
Bobby Wagner coming back improves the Seahawks in two different ways, 1st Wagner is the best middle linebacker on the team and perhaps the best n the league, 2nd, one of the best outside linebackers, KJ Wright gets to play outside linebacker. Wagner coming back upgrades two positions not one.
I am probably Wagner's biggest fan being that I would have taken him over any other LB in that draft without question, but I can't quite say that he is flat out the best MLB in the league. IMO, Bowman is very much the same player in that they have no weaknesses in their game what so ever. They are adept at taking on even OL in the run game against the run, they are accomplished in pass coverage, having the speed and explosiveness to cover even WRs, and also really effective in blitzing, again; even against OL. They are the true apex inside linebackers in the NFL.

In fact, (this won't be popular) but I think the overall well rounded excellence that I've seen out of those two players rivals just about anyone I've seen since Singletary. I know that's saying a lot, but IMO even Lewis and Urlacher weren't all that great at the POA when having to take on blockers on a regular basis. Very few are. Generally if a LB is good at taking on larger blockers you have to sacrifice mobility because it's usually a bigger player and thus you lose range in coverage.

Again, overall, watching Wagner and Bowman is some of the most fun I've had watching true MLB play. I'd like to say that Wagner is the best, but Bowman is right there with him if he can ever get back. If you don't know, in a 3-4 set your two ILBs go strong side and weak side and line up extremely similar to our own 4-3 under. Willis is the weak side guy for a reason. He's not as adept when dealing with the front 7 trash at the POA. Willis might be the sexier name and that's what people like, but he's just not as good of an overall football player as Bowman. Hasn't been since Bowman's 2nd year in the league. I think Wagner is progressing at a faster rate, however.

Keuckly is not in the discussion at all. He's down the list a ways and I'd actually call him a WLB in our system, which would be great, don't get me wrong.

After Wagner and Bowman I might have gone with Daryl Washington even over Willis. Then probably Willis after that Keuchly might be 5 just because he's so good in space, but it would be close with Johnson in KC.