RW/Sherman Rise Above NBC

ManBunts

Reaction score
I loved beating the 49ers. Loooooooooved it. Especially doing it on their new "home" field (which by the way, did anyone else think that field looked like crap?)

Anyway, as much as I loved beating the 49ers, even I felt it was a bit much to eat turkey on top of the logo. That would create endless amounts of vitriol and hate and just feed the fire. Obviously this was NBC setting it up and if the guys hadn't done it, they also would've been fined.

I like that this article calls NBC out a bit for being a bunch of baiting idiots, and acknowledging Russell and Sherman for rising above it

http://nypost.com/2014/12/01/nbc-michel ... -seahawks/

endzorn

Reaction score
I wish Sherman had pulled his pants down and drug ass across the logo like a dog with worms.

Largent80

Reaction score
The fans have made this rivalry what it is and TV caters to fans.

Personally after all the crap Iv'e heard from 9er fans for more years than I can count PLUS the "Sharpie" incident, I absolutely LOVED seeing that after the game and it is my new wallpaper.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It wouldn't have offended very many 9'er fans, most already split during the 4th quarter.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I really think the network people assumed that it would be Kaepernick and Crabtree out there eating the turkey. Most of the analysts were picking the Niners, after all. They should have thought it through and had a Plan B if the Seahawks won...something that didn't involve such a slap in the face. Maybe them eating in the announcer's booth or a luxury suite or something like that. I would have been pissed if it was Niners eating turkey and talking smack right on our field logo.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ManBunts":zwlj4p9n said:
I loved beating the 49ers. Loooooooooved it. Especially doing it on their new "home" field (which by the way, did anyone else think that field looked like crap?)

Anyway, as much as I loved beating the 49ers, even I felt it was a bit much to eat turkey on top of the logo. That would create endless amounts of vitriol and hate and just feed the fire. Obviously this was NBC setting it up and if the guys hadn't done it, they also would've been fined.

I like that this article calls NBC out a bit for being a bunch of baiting idiots, and acknowledging Russell and Sherman for rising above it

Waiting for someone here to say the media sucks in response to this erroneous, trash article. Likely won't happen because it is something Hawk fans wish to hear. That somehow makes it good journalism (?).

I'll say it. The author of this piece had an agenda and used the Hawks (and others) in an attempt to validate / bolster his opinion of over the top rivalries in sports. He states both Wilson and Sherman ignored Tafoya's questions, implying both men felt her intentions were designed only to antagonize SF and their fans. Wilson, nor Sherm, wanted to be part of that.

Not only was this inaccurate, in referencing Sherm, it was a bold face lie and the very worst brand of journalism. Sherm definitely (masterfully) used the opportunity to take a shot at SF's fans and good for him in doing so. I loved it. But that was the story, not both men refused to be pawns in NBC's desire to escalate ill-will between teams and fan bases.

So yes, in this example..."the media sucks".

rigelian

Reaction score
The NYPost chastising any media outlet for sensationalism is akin to Beast Mode chastising defensive players for hitting too hard. With that being said NBC was being classless, Sherman and Wilson were pitch perfect.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I thought the whole idea of serving Turkey over the Niners logo was quite cheesy. For NBC to try to create a controversy as a result of what they set up is pretty low.

Hope someone from NBC gets excoriated for that stunt, it was stupid and classless.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkWow":2mifl9p6 said:
ManBunts":2mifl9p6 said:

Waiting for someone here to say the media sucks in response to this erroneous, trash article. Likely won't happen because it is something Hawk fans wish to hear. That somehow makes it good journalism (?).

I'll say it. The author of this piece had an agenda and used the Hawks (and others) in an attempt to validate / bolster his opinion of over the top rivalries in sports. He states both Wilson and Sherman ignored Tafoya's questions, implying both men felt her intentions were designed only to antagonize SF and their fans. Wilson, nor Sherm, wanted to be part of that.

Not only was this inaccurate, in referencing Sherm, it was a bold face lie and the very worst brand of journalism. Sherm definitely (masterfully) used the opportunity to take a shot at SF's fans and good for him in doing so. I loved it. But that was the story, not both men refused to be pawns in NBC's desire to escalate ill-will between teams and fan bases.

So yes, in this example..."the media sucks".

Ill say it, you seem to like picking fights just because. Who hurt you as a child?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Tafoya and NBC were clearly trying to manufacture a "Richard Sherman Moment"; he saw it coming a mile away and didn't bite, and they had to have known they wouldn't have gotten anything out of RW . Richard Sherman decides when he wants to make a spectacle, no one else.

I really doubt he would have any interest in disrespecting Terrell Owens, Bill Romanowski, Mike Singleterry and other 49er greats.

minormillikin

Reaction score
They should have just done the post game turkey thing on the sideline like every other primetime post game interview.

This is just the latest example of the new World Wrestling Football League.

trharder

Reaction score
HawkWow":2acm24to said:
[Waiting for someone here to say the media sucks in response to this erroneous, trash article. Likely won't happen because it is something Hawk fans wish to hear. That somehow makes it good journalism (?).
Of course. As a Seahawk fan, do I owe a duty to anyone to be consistent? Screw that. My fandom is leisure time activity for me to enjoy however I like.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kobebryant":9idwobr7 said:
Tafoya and NBC were clearly trying to manufacture a "Richard Sherman Moment"; he saw it coming a mile away and didn't bite, and they had to have known they wouldn't have gotten anything out of RW . Richard Sherman decides when he wants to make a spectacle, no one else.

I really doubt he would have any interest in disrespecting Terrell Owens, Bill Romanowski, Mike Singleterry and other 49er greats.

During the 49ers and Cowboys rivalry in the 90's, Terrell Owens started a tradition of "defiling" the Cowboys "star" logo at midfield after a score. Let's just say the Cowboys took exception to that. Here is the video:
[youtube]K-nxdzgQH8U[/youtube]

So what this says is that NBC is viewing the Seahawks-49ers rivalry as an attention-getting money-maker, worth making the extra effort to fan the flames. I can just hear the game lead in for the next Hawks-Niners game: "And then Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman taunted the vanquished 49ers by dining on turkey on the 49ers logo after the game. "

Can't blame NBC for trying to antagonize the rivalry and stir up national interest in the next Hawks-Niners game, which they probably own the rights to. Guaranteed, if in some alternate universe, the Hawks lose in Seattle to the Niners, there will be some similar "revenge" stunt NBC has ready to go, maybe Niners defiling a "12" flag or something.

Can't blame NBC for trying to create bulletin board material and stir up the rivalry. It's all about stirring up emotion and getting people to care, so they watch and advertisers will pay for spots during the broadcast. It's their business.