Offseason Moves?

nolachawks

Reaction score
I know, I know there are a lot of other things to talk about right now...but I was thinking about what our team will look like next year and looked at who are free agents in 2015.

Cliff Avril
Carpenter
Dobbs
T. Jackson
Jean-Pierre
Kearse- RFA
J Johnson
Lockette- RFA
B Maxwell
Moeaki
Schofield
D Shead- RFA
Malcolm Smith
Tukuafu
B Walters- RFA
K Williams
KJ Wright

I can see alot of players on this list gone. Of course it depends on how much it would cost us and as we all saw the last off season, teams seem to overpay to get a championship player. I'd like to keep the LOB intact and sign Maxwell. I think the LB's on the list are gone and we wont be keeping 2 FB's. Our TE situation should be interesting as well.

Go Hawks!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I think they need to do RW contract first then they will see what pieces they can afford to keep. RW is the #1 priority.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Out of that list, Cliff Avril, Maxwell,Wright and Smith are probably the highest signing priority. The rest? They come after.

Largent80

Reaction score
Of course a bunch of them will be gone. It happens every year in this "modern" NFL.

Can we just enjoy what we have created here and now and not worry about this until it is relevant?

jblaze

Reaction score
Maxwell will be gone, so will Smith. They'll extend Wagner and sign Wright.

Carp will probably sign for a modest amount. Avril will be the big signing and he'll probably get right around what Bennett got.

I see them likely letting Miller go, maybe Mebane and Lynch. I think Kearse and Lockette walk and we lean on PRich and Norwood along with another WR draft pick next year.

In FA, I can see them going after a big name TE. Also a NT in the first few rounds of the draft. RB will be a potentially high pick again if they're not sold on Michael and they let Lynch go. I'd like to see a decent WR FA but I can't see anyone wanting to come here with the lack of touches or stats.

A lot of it depends on the status of Lynch though. That situation could go any which way, no telling on that one.

Defense will be very similar to what we have this year except Simon will start opposite Sherman. LB's will be the same with Irvin, Wagner and Wright. We really need to continuously infuse talent into our D line though, that's where it all starts and I think they may sign a FA DT or DE or both.

Offense is largely stable as well. The FO has done a pretty good job of keeping club control and I think our experience and continuity helps us in the next year or two.

Overall, little turnover comparatively and the FO keeps chugging along.

Largent80

Reaction score
I can see Miller being gone IF, Moeaki stays healthy and keeps going at his current pace.

Smith.....Buh Bye, maybe Wright as well. Maxwell?....unsure unless he goes off in these last few games and playoffs if we get in.

Carp?....meh....He has given extra effort in a contract year and really is just meh, he hasn't earned much.

Dobbs may be a keeper, keep your eyes on him.
Avril is a keeper.
Kearse ...BYE
TJ TJ TJ...keep
Jean Pierre, obviously keep
J.Johnson and Shead have been loyal, good ST players and contributors...keep.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Smith has been with Pete since college. So I think Pete will try to keep him. It may not still be enough. But I think Pete wil try a little harder to hold onto him then maybe some of the others.

OP
OP
nolachawks

nolachawks

Reaction score
I agree that Dobbs has looked pretty good and we could probably sign him on the cheap. I tend to also believe that with KPL playing well before getting injured and Irvin looking good it allows some flexibilty in regards to resigning Smith and Wright.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think KPL makes Wright expendable. I don't know. But signing Wilson, extending Wagner, and signing Avril is going to take a massive chunk of change. I think most of those guys on the list are gone.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I wonder how much money Wilson gives to charity. 10% of his salary? 20%?

Then, Seahawks could just donate that money directly off the books to the charity and the cap gets the discount.

I do think there will be some very "creative" accounting tactics at work for the Wilson contract, someway somehow. As valuable as he is to this franchise, I just cannot imagine Schneider after all this work saddling the team with a contract that doesn't give the Seahawks the chance to improve.

If everyone is assuming the cap to substantially increase year on year, perhaps Wilson takes a bit less for the next season with the team giving him assurances for re-negotiation, or just assurances that his salary will increase alongside the increasing cap figure. I think someway, somehow they get this done without saddling the team too badly. Wilson will get his payday but I do think he understands that the "Russell Wilson brand" (and thus his endorsement money) will grow to be a much higher payday if he's playing on a successful team. He easily in a short period of time could be the highest paid NFL player in endorsements.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1g60mnkc said:
I wonder how much money Wilson gives to charity. 10% of his salary? 20%?

Then, Seahawks could just donate that money directly off the books to the charity and the cap gets the discount.

I do think there will be some very "creative" accounting tactics at work for the Wilson contract, someway somehow. As valuable as he is to this franchise, I just cannot imagine Schneider after all this work saddling the team with a contract that doesn't give the Seahawks the chance to improve.

If everyone is assuming the cap to substantially increase year on year, perhaps Wilson takes a bit less for the next season with the team giving him assurances for re-negotiation, or just assurances that his salary will increase alongside the increasing cap figure. I think someway, somehow they get this done without saddling the team too badly. Wilson will get his payday but I do think he understands that the "Russell Wilson brand" (and thus his endorsement money) will grow to be a much higher payday if he's playing on a successful team. He easily in a short period of time could be the highest paid NFL player in endorsements.

Re Endorsements: Just to put it in perspective, the highest endorsed player in the league is Peyton Manning at approx 12 Million dollars a year. Brees gets 11, and Rodgers gets 7.5. Also, all endorsements must be declared to the NFLPA.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":157hjfmz said:
Who's this Dobbs guy you all are talking about? And what about that new guy on the d-line, Dodd? Why didn't you mention him?

Wait... Who we talkin' 'bout?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We have to resign our two QB's Wilson and Wagner. KJ is our backup QB on defense, we should sign him too. After that, Lynch, if possible and then go from there.