Key to this seasons turnaround: Trading Percy Harvin

seabowl

Reaction score
As much as I and many others hated to get rid of Percy, especially for as little as we got back for him, it was the catalyst for the turnaround. Our offense although not explosive has once again found its identity in running the ball in with a plethora of players and in many ways. I for one absolutely hated the trade but have to admit we would never be in this position today (in control of our own destiny) without getting rid of him.

Lastly, not that I wish bad on anyone but Percy now is getting what he asked for being that he is on a debacle of a team like the Jets.

For now it's all good.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":mr1rw4kl said:
As much as I and many others hated to get rid of Percy, especially for as little as we got back for him, it was the catalyst for the turnaround. Our offense although not explosive has once again found its identity in running the ball in with a plethora of players and in many ways. I for one absolutely hated the trade but have to admit we would never be in this position today (in control of our own destiny) without getting rid of him.

Lastly, not that I wish bad on anyone but Percy now is getting what he asked for being that he is on a debacle of a team like the Jets.

For now it's all good.

He has done nothing to help the Jets, probably causing issues and fighting other teammates.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seabowl":20u7j328 said:

For now it's all good.

You are wrong. Just read my signature... :mrgreen:

Throwdown

Reaction score
I dunno, the offense is still sketchy.

If anything its the defenses return to its suffocating ways thats caused the dominance lately.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The strange thing is that the Jets offensive starters are pretty solid and maybe better than the Hawks on paper .... Except QB. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that Percy is causing problems but it is strange that the Jets are already starting to run bubble screens to other players and ignoring him on deep patterns even when he is open.

Cartire

Reaction score
brimsalabim":711gmtc3 said:
The strange thing is that the Jets offensive starters are pretty solid and maybe better than the Hawks on paper .... Except QB. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that Percy is causing problems but it is strange that the Jets are already starting to run bubble screens to other players and ignoring him on deep patterns even when he is open.

Because Percy has this issue. He goes 100% when he knows the balls coming to him. He goes about 40% when he knows its not.

Not hard for the defense to figure out.

A

Anonymous

Cartire":1m2s7g1h said:
brimsalabim":1m2s7g1h said:

Because Percy has this issue. He goes 100% when he knows the balls coming to him. He goes about 40% when he knows its not.

Not hard for the defense to figure out.

Ding, ding, ding...

Give this individual a cookie.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Percy is an easy cop out, but I disagree. The difference has been our defense getting healthy and suffocating opponents. Offense still has a long ways to go. Offense has been better at times, but that just boiled down to handing lynch the ball, which you can't blame percy for.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2u3d8b68 said:

Sure dude, they are totally refusing to throw Percy the ball deep when he is open... :rolleyes:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
akscoundrel":10drpwyt said:
brimsalabim":10drpwyt said:

Sure dude, they are totally refusing to throw Percy the ball deep when he is open... :rolleyes:
That offense rolls through Geno, who missed Percy deep last night with a deep ball. It isn't a matter of politics, it is matter of QB/WR continuity.

Seattle targeted Percy an average of less than 3.5 yards down field. The Jets have been targeting him about 3 times deeper. They just aren't connecting.

Name me a QB who has established a good deep ball rapport with Percy.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
No it's the shorter days and longer nights, no wait... it's the ....

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2uoq038r said:
akscoundrel":2uoq038r said:
brimsalabim":2uoq038r said:

That offense rolls through Geno, who missed Percy deep last night with a deep ball. It isn't a matter of politics, it is matter of QB/WR continuity.

Seattle targeted Percy an average of less than 3.5 yards down field. The Jets have been targeting him about 3 times deeper. They just aren't connecting.

Sure, but there's also a reason why geno had been benched recently. He wasn't hitting anybody. Hence the joke when the trade happened; geno smith will miss Percy more than we miss him.

And your question was answered which kind of dismantles where you are trying to go.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
To refer back to a fable...Androcles and the lion. Once the thorn was removed from the paw, the lion was able to do so much more. It still takes time to repair the injury...but that would be more like growing pains. I think we are about one week out of really reaching our peak yet. Eagles may signal whether we have gotten there or not. I saw that Lane was out for part of the game with the 49ers. I believe he is an integral part of what we represent. If he gets back in shape....No More Thorns....Please.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree. Too bad that they couldn't get Eric Decker for him though. Eric may have helped the redzone offense with his size.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
akscoundrel":mufjt2wo said:
Scottemojo":mufjt2wo said:
akscoundrel":mufjt2wo said:
brimsalabim":mufjt2wo said:

Sure, but there's also a reason why geno had been benched recently. He wasn't hitting anybody. Hence the joke when the trade happened; geno smith will miss Percy more than we miss him.

And your question was answered which kind of dismantles where you are trying to go.
My question was generalized. How many times did Favre target Percy deep? Success %?

I don't have those answers. I can tell you that in 30 games during Favre's 2 years, Percy had 3 games over 100 yds receiving, and 27 plays over 20 yards. Less than one 20 plus play per game. In the two seasons after Favre left? 25 games, 22 receptions over 20 yards and 5 games with more than 100 yards recieving. Perhaps his time with Favre has been romanticized a bit?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3yrfocab said:
I agree. Too bad that they couldn't get Eric Decker for him though. Eric may have helped the redzone offense with his size.

Considering the contract we gave him (that the Jets had to pick up) and the clear signal sent by giving up on him after only a handful of games played, I think the FO made out like bandits. Hard to get people to give up much for a toxic "asset."

Obviously, it's a ton less than the FO gave up for them, and it's the biggest black mark on their record to date. However, I do appreciate that they didn't compound the situation by trying to cater to Harvin and stretch the dysfunction out over multiple seasons just because they invested a lot in him, both money and draft-pick wise.

Ruminator

Reaction score
It's a good reminder to temper enthusiasm in response to most signings, even high-profile ones, until we see how well the player fits in with the Hawks' players and staff. Particularly for players on offense.