What do we know about the Eagles...matchups you like...

pehawk

Reaction score
Even if I didn't have an emotional interest in Sunday’s Hawks vs Eagles match up, it would still be must watch television. Scottemojo aptly likened it to when a SEC team plays a Pac-12 team…you just don’t know what to expect. That’s the best way to put it Scotte (pehawk blows kisses). Excitement aside, let’s talks ball and matchups.

I’m still not sure what to expect from the Seahawks defense. While they’ve played both resurgent and reminiscent ball the past few weeks, I cant place why that is (aside3 from the obvious of Kam and Wagner returning. Specifically I can’t figure out what’s happened with the defensive line. Why is the front four suddenly getting even more pressure? Is it stunts? Is it rearrangement of rotation? Is Bennett playing more inside? I don’t know enough on that topic to truly even guess how they’ll fare vs that underrated Eagles OLine.

I do know the game SHOULD come down to tackling. The Eagles are incredible at creating space for their QB to throw from and their WR’s. I’m going to assume that’s just going to be how it is, so, the Hawks will need to be sure tacklers.
Also, does Sanchez have enough arm to hit those 20-30 yard outs? Does he have the savvy enough to manipulate the front 7 like a Romo and Rivers? The answer’s “probably not” in each case.

When the Seahawks have the ball, I’d expect them to have some success. It’s seemingly a breath of fresh air whenever the Seahawks play an opponent outside the NFCW. They “land their punches” easily and with minimal effort. In theory the Seahawks should be able to make some hay against a non-elite 3-4. Sweezy should be able to remind people he’s mean at the 2nd level, which may lead to reluctant tacklers later in the game.

Is the check down option here to stay? It makes all the sense in the world to incorporate it even more into the game plan. It carves out an unconventional passing attack from a team not suited to throw. Lynch, Turbin and even Michael are perfect in that capacity. Hopefully Michael’s lost his extra chromosome this week, and can actually be trusted to run a screen at full-speed. Couple that with a few Wilson keepers and I think the Seahawks offense will exploit an average, yet underrated Eagles defense.

Anyone else have their internal nerd all a titter like me over this game? What’s the matchups you like? Do you wish I’d spontaneously combust?

XOXO

Koy Detmer

Largent80

Reaction score
I haven't seen 1 Eagle game this year but I think that after watching the game from SF 2 additional times and hitting the rewind button is this......Our D-Line got really good play from rotational guys.

Hill and Dobbs really had good games. Both of those guys are hungry, eager players, and couple that with Avril hitting his stride and Bennett being himself and we were getting a nice push. Staley was holding on almost every play, or he was getting beat straight up.

So, for me, I want to see if they can keep this up, because if they do, the turnovers are going to happen. Also, Sanchez has never faced our defense, so I'm interested to see that matchup.

XOXO

Harold Carmichael

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the Eagles defense average, but they are definitely under rated. DVOA has them 8th in the league, right behind us at 7th. I think both defenses will get a bump in those ratings after this last weekend.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm worried about our REDZONE "O".
I'm hoping that our FG guy is on his game.
I think our secondary can cover their pass catchers.
The match up that I'm concerned with is our "D" line vs their "O" line.
If we pressure Sanchez and limit big runs, we WIN.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":mqy9dsng said:

That Eagles offensive line is pretty agile and good in space. You could make an argument it matchups favorably to a LB corp built on speed.

Have the Hawks faced a OL this athletic before?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If there's a coach in the NFL that knows how to disrupt Kelly's up tempo fast break offense, it's Pete.

The Eagles win by snapping the ball almost twice as fast as anyone in the league, and IMO that plays well into the hands of what our defense does well, disrupt and maul. We've done it to every up tempo offense, and I don't doubt we'll do it again to the Eagles.

That leaves our offense vs. the Eagles D, who is good.............but not great. But red zone is key for us, can't keep kicking FG's. We're gonna have to score over 24 pts to win this game, and I think we will.

pmedic920

Reaction score
pehawk":zc3kqdm0 said:
pmedic920":zc3kqdm0 said:

That Eagles offensive line is pretty agile and good in space. You could make an argument it matchups favorably to a LB corp built on speed.

Have the Hawks faced a OL this athletic before?

Not sure about athletic like you say but the cowpokes have a decent "o" line, as do the packers and giants.

We've played some strong O lines this year with mixed outcomes.

pmedic920

Reaction score
And Yes.
As Sarge stated, the speed at which the Eagles get plays going will be a factor, that we need to be aware of. We can't get caught with our pants down trying to figure out assignments.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":39unicq9 said:
And Yes.
As Sarge stated, the speed at which the Eagles get plays going will be a factor, that we need to be aware of. We can't get caught with our pants down trying to figure out assignments.

Teams that get into trouble with this are teams that HAVE to substitute often, and that's not our D.

We do rotate our D lineman, but that's about it. The Hawks are unique in that we don't have 100 different defensive formations, schemes and exotic blitz packages. Like we did in the SB, we just line up and say "our players are faster, stronger and more physically talented than your players, so let's go."

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i42tvll said:
pmedic920":1i42tvll said:
And Yes.

Teams that get into trouble with this are teams that HAVE to substitute often, and that's not our D.

We do rotate our D lineman, but that's about it. The Hawks are unique in that we don't have 100 different defensive formations, schemes and exotic blitz packages. Like we did in the SB, we just line up and say "our players are faster, stronger and more physically talented than your players, so let's go."

don't forget smarter.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I think we give the Iggles fits with our D-line. Tempo is not the big deal here. We rotate for a reason. In December, there is no such thing as a healthy team, however, since we limit snaps and rotate all year long, our D-line is in better shape than damn near every O-line. Probably explains why from December on last year we suddenly got more pressure and better play than other teams.

I also believe what many here call check-downs are actually the first option. I just really like that fake handoff to the Rb going say left, RW rolls to the right, and the TE chips either the DE or outside LB, then releases. Great play almost like a read option run. Forces the DE or LB to commit. If he sticks to the TE, RW runs the ball. If he comes after RW, he just lobs the ball forward for easy yards. And, if a CB or S drops their coverage to come up for support, RW still has the option to go deep.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2k2md5p6 said:
BullHawk33":2k2md5p6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2k2md5p6 said:
pmedic920":2k2md5p6 said:
And Yes.

don't forget smarter.

and better looking.

.........and gosh darn it, people like us.

Hqdefault

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":2ede1wbr said:
I think we give the Iggles fits with our D-line. Tempo is not the big deal here. We rotate for a reason. In December, there is no such thing as a healthy team, however, since we limit snaps and rotate all year long, our D-line is in better shape than damn near every O-line. Probably explains why from December on last year we suddenly got more pressure and better play than other teams.

I also believe what many here call check-downs are actually the first option. I just really like that fake handoff to the Rb going say left, RW rolls to the right, and the TE chips either the DE or outside LB, then releases. Great play almost like a read option run. Forces the DE or LB to commit. If he sticks to the TE, RW runs the ball. If he comes after RW, he just lobs the ball forward for easy yards. And, if a CB or S drops their coverage to come up for support, RW still has the option to go deep.

Unless I just never noticed previously, I must say you're football IQ has increased, ALOT. You bring it in a good way with your posts nowadays.

Thank you for being opposite of peaches, I mean that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Against Dallas, first two series they ran a play every 19 seconds.
Went up 14-0.
They are going to play fast.
I sure hope y'all are correct that it won't be an issue. I'm not as confident as you.

I don't think we can survive falling way behind early.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2e215ied said:
Went up 14-0.
I sure hope y'all are correct that it won't be an issue. I'm not as confident as you.

And then Bevell, with the situational awareness of a sea anemone, matched Dallas's long drives by going up-tempo and throwing the ball. For whatever reason Bevell looked at the situation and thought "hmm, welp, our defense was just out there for 16 plays, I bet you they want to get back out there as quick as possible".

It was a very, very epic failure. Hopefully he's learned from that.

I know, typical "reactionary" criticism of Bevell.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34xaf97g said:

Hqdefault

And he went on to be one of the better Senators out there. Which just proves, politics is all a farce and actors are better at selling air.

On topic: We win. Thats the matchup i like.

byau

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1e5v4ia0 said:
I wouldn't call the Eagles defense average, but they are definitely under rated. DVOA has them 8th in the league, right behind us at 7th. I think both defenses will get a bump in those ratings after this last weekend.

Eagles defense is really good. They pretty much can depend on their defense and special teams for their games. The offense pretty much just tries to do well but the defense and special teams really does a job for them.

Look at it this way, the Dallas Cowboys offensive line is what has carried them through this season and has made Murray and Bryant and Romo seem like the triple threat they are. And they got smacked by the Philly defense.

Offensively: Nick Foles is the main injury and Mark Sanchez is more than suitable to step in. Looks like he has gotten more cautious. Last game no interceptions against the Cowboys (previously I think he had two INT each in the two games prior).

Besides Foles, I don't think they have any injuries.

Taking it further, Chip Kelly is into conditioning and sports science and really has these guys in shape. I would have thought they would have tired out by this time of the season from all the extra conditioning and physical practices but they haven't

In other words, the game I expected to see on Thanksgiving with the 49ers: gritty, physical, heavy defensive game and lots of hustle and effort on D and special teams... that's the game I expect to see against Philly.

Seahawks need their A+ game

seedhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":228hgump said:
Went up 14-0.

So, you counter that by taking what you can when you can. Hold the ball on O. Take the big play if it is there on a busted coverage or whatever. Milk the clock on every offensive play and keep their O on the sideline. Kinda/sorta the flip side of the coin. The Eagles try to wear you're D out by playing fast, so you wear their D out by grinding them down.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Is Phillies defense really that good? They've given up 295 points. Seems like a lot. Their O averages 31 points a game. We hold them to 20 and score 21 we WIN!

I know. Pretty much a 0 for football acumen. :(

SC

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":xl5xoxy5 said:
Sgt. Largent":xl5xoxy5 said:

Hqdefault

And he went on to be one of the better Senators out there. Which just proves, politics is all a farce and actors are better at selling air.

On topic: We win. Thats the matchup i like.

LOL WUT?