Specifically, what's so great about Philly's defense ?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm hearing and reading stuff about how they're built to defend us. So I wonder, outside of their pass rush, what's so great about their defense ?

Also, I know they give up 107.7 rush yards per game (which is good for 12th) but how many ypc on average do they give up ?

I don't care about yards, I care about points. And looking at that defense, they don't impress me.
They've given up:

34 points to Washington. Really ?
21 points to Houston.
28 points to the Rams
21 to Carolina
24 to the Titans

The ones I cherry picked were the worst offenses in the league, many of this to backup QBs. Sure, they only gave up 10 points to Dallas, but Romo was obviously not right in that game. Color me not impressed at the moment.

sutz

Reaction score
I suspect that the best thing about their D is that their O tends to score a lot of points. Nothing better for the D than getting up on your opponent and forcing them to keep up in a shootout.

We need our D to continue their current ways and hold their O to 15-20 points. If we do that, I think our O can score 20+ on them. Since our D has one of the best secondaries (THE best?) out there, this game seems winnable to me.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
3.9 ypc. Which isn't bad at all.

Also, first in the NFL, lowest completion percentage allowed.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I agree I was just watching the GB and TENN games and they're defense is decent. They're offense is good. I think the x-factor with them is their special teams. IIRC there's been a few games that the special teams have been the difference for them.

I hope Wilson and the passing game can come out and execute well, if so I think Seattle will out physical them. This game reminds me a little of the 2005 game, Seattle goes to Philly the commentators didn't give SEattle much of a chance-- We ended up putting a beatdown on them. 42-0, pretty awesome. And the last time we played them in 2011. We won confortably with Beastmode running it down their throat.

This game is absolutely critical. I can't wait for Sunday.

A

Anonymous

We're gonna crush those fools.

Worry not, my friend, their defense has holes in it.

If not obvious to us, Russ will find them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sutz":324ghwix said:
I suspect that the best thing about their D is that their O tends to score a lot of points. Nothing better for the D than getting up on your opponent and forcing them to keep up in a shootout.

We need our D to continue their current ways and hold their O to 15-20 points. If we do that, I think our O can score 20+ on them. Since our D has one of the best secondaries (THE best?) out there, this game seems winnable to me.

Eagles remind me a lot of the 2005 Seattle Seahawks. A high scoring offense that helps their defense look better than it is. That's why it's important to set the tone early and not let the Eagles build a lead.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I mentioned it in another thread, but I think it bears repeating: They are set up like the Colts defense when during the Manning years. Fast pass rushers, opportunistic backs and LBs who are conditioned to be on the field for most the game. Seattle must grind them down through superior size.

fef

Reaction score
This is coming from an Eagles fan... Hope you don't mind me joining your board. You guys seem to enjoy talking football.

The Eagles D has some things that they do really, really well, and then they have things that just make you scratch your head and go hmmmm....

Things that they do well on D
Pass Rush - 2nd in the League in Sacks
First Downs, Second Downs, Third and shorts and Fourth and shorts-- they have 42 three and outs on the season, good for 3rd in the league, and 8 4 and out's on the season, good for 4th in the league.
Opposing completion percentage - they are first in lowest completion percentage allowed in the league
Creating Turnovers - they are very opportunistic - 10 ints, 12 fumble recoveries
Run Stopping - The eagles are pretty good against the run. Based on yardage they are 12th in the league, but that is due to the other team getting a ton of extra possessions in each game due to it's pace. They'll force you to throw the ball, which leads to extra passing yards in games, and try to get in the QB's face to disrupt those throws

Things that make you scratch your head
3rd and long - It amazes me to no end the ability to fail on 3rd and long. 1st and 10, no problem. 2nd and 13 after a sack, no problem, 3rd and 17 after a rush for a loss, 20 yard pass play first down completed. This leads into my next item of...
outside CB's - Sometimes Williams and Fletcher don't even turn around to look and see where the ball is. It's quite maddening. Our best CB is Boykin and he seems to always know where the ball is and put himself in positions to make a play. If something big happens on D in the secondary, it'll probably be him or Jenkins. Last year he was 2nd to Sherman in INT's and that was with playing less than 50% of the downs.

The eagles do have the top ranked defense in fantasy football (realize this isn't real life) but they force a lot of turnovers (thankfully since they also give up a lot of turnovers), they force a lot of 3 and outs and they get to the quarterback.

The other thing we do very well is Special Teams - Between Defense and Special Teams we have 10 non offensive TD's this year - 4 on D and 6 on ST. We have 32 on Offense, so that's 23 percent of our touchdowns coming from somewhere other than the Offense.

I'm a numbers kinda girl (yes - girls can love football too ;) so I'll post some numbers on the what do we know about the eagles thread for all to enjoy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
fef":37hlxb63 said:
This is coming from an Eagles fan... Hope you don't mind me joining your board. You guys seem to enjoy talking football.

The Eagles D has some things that they do really, really well, and then they have things that just make you scratch your head and go hmmmm....

First Downs, Second Downs, Third and shorts and Fourth and shorts-- they have 42 three and outs on the season, good for 3rd in the league, and 8 4 and out's on the season, good for 4th in the league.
Opposing completion percentage - they are first in lowest completion percentage allowed in the league
Creating Turnovers - they are very opportunistic - 10 ints, 12 fumble recoveries
Run Stopping - The eagles are pretty good against the run. Based on yardage they are 12th in the league, but that is due to the other team getting a ton of extra possessions in each game due to it's pace. They'll force you to throw the ball, which leads to extra passing yards in games, and try to get in the QB's face to disrupt those throws

3rd and long - It amazes me to no end the ability to fail on 3rd and long. 1st and 10, no problem. 2nd and 13 after a sack, no problem, 3rd and 17 after a rush for a loss, 20 yard pass play first down completed. This leads into my next item of...
outside CB's - Sometimes Williams and Fletcher don't even turn around to look and see where the ball is. It's quite maddening. Our best CB is Boykin and he seems to always know where the ball is and put himself in positions to make a play. If something big happens on D in the secondary, it'll probably be him or Jenkins. Last year he was 2nd to Sherman in INT's and that was with playing less than 50% of the downs.

The eagles do have the top ranked defense in fantasy football (realize this isn't real life) but they force a lot of turnovers (thankfully since they also give up a lot of turnovers), they force a lot of 3 and outs and they get to the quarterback.

I'm a numbers kinda girl (yes - girls can love football too ;) so I'll post some numbers on the what do we know about the eagles thread for all to enjoy.
I noticed that about your corners, they give up the back shoulder throws. Boykin does have to be accounted for.

No doubt you know our numbers too.
We struggled on third down ourselves earlier in the year, but have seemed to correct that.
We run, and try to run vs any front. Usually pays 2nd half dividends. Lots of our rush yards should be called scramble yards. But Russ can mess with a DC. We don't throw that much, but usually do so effectively. Our receiver group is so anonymous their routes all take 12 steps. Our tight end groups is held together with duct tape and baling wire. Our offensive MVP right now is Lynch, Wilson, or the field goal kicker.

Largent80

Reaction score
fef.... :2:

We always welcome other fans to this board, and thanks for the low down on the Eagles.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Pass rush is where it starts. Putting pressure on the QB makes every other level of defense better. They get interior pressure from Cox and Barwin and Graham (the guy they took instead of ET....thank you Philly) have been good on the outside.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
fef":1ybnuhls said:

Welcome! As with any fan base you'll find the full range of personalities and styles here, but I'd say unequivocally we respect anyone who enjoys talking football – with a particular emphasis on numbers for many of us. :)

Also, we have one female moderator here and a handful of excellent, regular, well-respected female contributors also. You'll fit right in.

Question: what does your name mean and where does it come from?

Eagles question: I'll get around to watching some of your games tomorrow on Rewind, but where do your best pass rushers usually line up? Our RT is a rookie, and while he's done well for a rookie, he can be beat. Will we need to keep a TE in to help him out, you think?

Brahn

Reaction score
Britt gets beat by speed rushers, same with Okung. I rarely see them get beat by power moves.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
sutz":8xir5b4v said:

At the same time, having an uptempo offense that is used to scoring alot of points can quickly turn into alot of quick three and outs and short rest for their d. Especially troublesome when you're trying to stop a cat like marshawn.

Ultimately not worried in the least the way our d has been playing. Its just a matter of having your assignment and doing your job. The rest comes down to mark Sanchez, and that gives me peace lol

sutz

Reaction score
akscoundrel":36q954kn said:
sutz":36q954kn said:

At the same time, having an uptempo offense that is used to scoring alot of points can quickly turn into alot of quick three and outs and short rest for their d. Especially troublesome when you're trying to stop a cat like marshawn.

Ultimately not worried in the least the way our d has been playing. Its just a matter of having your assignment and doing your job. The rest comes down to mark Sanchez, and that gives me peace lol
Oh, I agree with you. You could argue that our team is specifically designed to stop that type of up-tempo offense. Look at what we did to Peyton in the SB. One psychological advantage, too, is the fact that our team is much more patient than most other NFL teams. Most teams (and a lot of our fans :)) get nervous if they haven't scored 15-20 points by the start of the 4th quarter. For us, it's kind of the norm. So when other teams get desperate, we're just getting started and ready to take advantage of the mistakes that are more likely when they start pressing. It's that basic philosophy we use, about not winning in the 1st quarter, but in the 4th.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
fef":l48aoq35 said:

The other thing we do very well is Special Teams - Between Defense and Special Teams we have 10 non offensive TD's this year - 4 on D and 6 on ST. We have 32 on Offense, so that's 23 percent of our touchdowns coming from somewhere other than the Offense.

Welcome ! I, for one, love to hear from other fans, especially when they're knowledgeable. A different perspective is really important, because all of us have at least a little bit of homer in us. ;)

Good info....good ST's is a product of good defensive personnel.
Yardage as applies to defense (and offense many times) isn't a great indicator to me. The 1999/2000 Rams led the league in rush defense that year...they didn't have that kind of defensive personnel for it for sure. The Greatest Show on Turf would get up on teams by 14 points in the 1st quarter and teams had to abandon the run to keep up. Abandon the run = less rush yards. I see Philly being similar there, so the YPC was what I was after (3.9 isn't horrible, but not elite either).

Sounds like they'll be tough at home and we will need to establish the run early, or at least sustain drives to keep the game competitive. We've come back from a lot of deficits under Russell Wilson, but we're not built to come back from huge deficits.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1ewsuz5v said:
sutz":1ewsuz5v said:

At the same time, having an uptempo offense that is used to scoring a lot of points can quickly turn into a lot of quick three and outs and short rest for their d. Especially troublesome when you're trying to stop a cat like marshawn.

If the Hawks D plays assignment sound as they have as of late, they will force a few 3 and outs with Sanchez making poor decisions. This will play into the Hawks strength with Beast pounding the rock. The X-factor will be Wilson's ability to get loose with his wheels and Gas and slash a frustrated and tired Philly D. This should be a great game! :snack:

fef

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":ctr6uxka said:
fef":ctr6uxka said:

Welcome! As with any fan base you'll find the full range of personalities and styles here, but I'd say unequivocally we respect anyone who enjoys talking football – with a particular emphasis on numbers for many of us. :)

Also, we have one female moderator here and a handful of excellent, regular, well-respected female contributors also. You'll fit right in.

Question: what does your name mean and where does it come from?

Eagles question: I'll get around to watching some of your games tomorrow on Rewind, but where do your best pass rushers usually line up? Our RT is a rookie, and while he's done well for a rookie, he can be beat. Will we need to keep a TE in to help him out, you think?

fef = female eagles fan. :th2thumbs: (wow, you guys have some cute emoticons)

In regards to best pass rushers - they come from everywhere so it's hard to say where to put extra help. If you put a TE there, they may come from the other side. We have 42 sacks so far this year. 24 1/2 of them are from Linebackers. After the first 5 games we had 11 sacks, and we have 31 total in the last 7 games. They are all swarming. I'm guessing Barwin may becharged with keeping up with Wilson.

Here is an article that was just recently put up on this - http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... never-know