Jermain Kearse in a different offense

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With all of Golden Tate's success in Detroit, does anyone think Kearse is being underutilized on this team? Could you imagine him in another offense putting up big numbers. I could see him being successful in SD, GB, NO, DAL, even Denver?

Kearse will be a restricted FA after this season. Is he worth a 2nd round pick traded to us from another team?

If we tender him at 2nd rd money and get no bites, what do you think he will fetch on the open market in 2016?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think we could get a 6th round pick for him. There's a reason he went undrafted, he's a dime a dozen type receiver.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Every receiver we have is underutilized on this team. We don't pass much at all, and we don't pass intelligently half the time when we do. (Referring to scheme primarily, here.)

I don't blame Tate for leaving even if he had been given the same dollar offer he got from Detroit.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2j79eft2 said:
With all of Golden Tate's success in Detroit, does anyone think Kearse is being underutilized on this team? Could you imagine him in another offense putting up big numbers. I could see him being successful in SD, GB, NO, DAL, even Denver?

Kearse will be a restricted FA after this season. Is he worth a 2nd round pick traded to us from another team?

If we tender him at 2nd rd money and get no bites, what do you think he will fetch on the open market in 2016?
Not much, in fact Kearse reminds me a little of Obomanu. Sometimes you see a dash of greatness, but more often than not the he's league average or worse.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He's a decent #4 receiver. A good #1 and #2 can make him look like a #3 receiver.
But, he has tremendous value on Special Teams. And, he's made key plays in the past when it really, really counted. This year, not so much. I do see the Seahawks FO making a sincere effort to keep Kearse, if they can get a good deal, not too much above the vet minimum. Otherwise, it's draft and FA time. Seattle is built on Moneyball, on having guys outperform their contracts by a lot. That's why we finally got that Lombardi. Pretty much everyone on the team outperformed their contract last year. (Sidney Rice was the biggest exception; Russell Wilson was the biggest value.) Kearse hasn't really been outperforming his contract this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tate's talent was obvious, even in a run-first offense. You can specifically point to things he does well or uniquely, and those things have carried over to Detroit. Many predicted he would look like a stud there.

That isn't going to be the case with every receiver who puts on a Seahawks uniform. Due to Russell's habit of spreading the ball around, high talent players will be pulled down toward the mean and replacement level players will be pulled up toward the mean. Here, a former Pro Bowl tight end is about as likely to get a target as someone off the practice squad. That doesn't mean they are equal talents. Some guys will actually look better here.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I wouldn't necessarily equate Kearse's ceiling in a different offense with Tate's. I'd definitely tender him, though.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The trick with managing a salary cap is to pay your great players and then keep things affordable by getting value out of as many rookie contracts as you can. Kearse's slot will be filled by a cheap contract; either Kearse or a replacement. We can't use the third tier tender on him because he was a UDFA, so we'd be looking at the second round minimum ($2 mil/year) which seems too steep.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Would like to see Norwood step up into his role in the next few years, and probably exceed it.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":18ytfjoh said:
Would like to see Norwood step up into his role in the next few years, and probably exceed it.

I agree...Norwood could replace Kearse...given more experience. Kearse is not worth $2 million a year....IMO.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see it. There's nothing really special about Kearse except he and Russ have a bit of chemistry on back shoulder throws. He'd be a #4 on all those offenses you mentioned, OP.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I could see Kearse having his best game of the season this week (80+ yards).

Philly's LCB Bradley Fletcher has had a rough year; I could see him giving up some big plays on jump balls. OL will have to give Wilson some time. Connor Barwin vs. Justin Britt is not a real favorable matchup, so Moeaki may be tasked with blocking Barwin a lot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Under utilized?

No, Kearse was an undrafted WR for a reason. Average height, average hands, average speed, average route running = average receiver.

I'm not even sure he could crack 30 of the 32 WR cores in the league if he wasn't on the Hawks, even on a team that passes more. Personally I'd much rather see Richardson or Norwood get Kearse's snaps, because those guys have potential upsides..........and I think we've seen Kearse be about as good as he's ever going to be.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AgentDib":3umtna9x said:
The trick with managing a salary cap is to pay your great players and then keep things affordable by getting value out of as many rookie contracts as you can. Kearse's slot will be filled by a cheap contract; either Kearse or a replacement. We can't use the third tier tender on him because he was a UDFA, so we'd be looking at the second round minimum ($2 mil/year) which seems too steep.

Explain please the tiers of tenders???? I dont understand first tier vis a vis second or third tier. Thank you.

Meow.. Hawks.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I like Jermaine a lot. He has made some great plays. He has also kind of disappeared. My uneducated guess would put the onus for that in the 50-50 range between his abilities and our scheme, perhaps with a slight nod toward scheme as more culpable.

In a pass-happy offense I could see him having one or two breakout seasons, maybe approaching 800 yards given perfect conditions. Sac's Robert Meachem comparison is apt.

Until Norwood and Richardson prove they are ready to crank it up a few notches, I agree with this:

DavidSeven":219ztrul said:
...I wouldn't necessarily equate Kearse's ceiling in a different offense with Tate's. I'd definitely tender him, though.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":3m3ws17l said:

I agree. I also wish they'd try to get P-Rich more involved with crossing routes, so we can utilize his speed. I wish we'd be better and more creative in the passing game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
AgentDib":1kjzxw41 said:

Yea, I'm not sure he's worth 2 mil/year. I like him, but you can only have so many #4 WRs on a team, and right now we're overstocked on them. There's going to be a choice between Kearse and Lockette, and we're going to retain Lock. He's giving pretty close to the same production (or would with the same offensive snaps) but he's much more explosive and has a ton more value on ST.

You're looking at who do we keep ? Kearse, Lockette, Norwood, Richardson. The two rookies are cheaper and they'll stay, plus they haven't had a chance to reach their potential. Kearse, or Lockette ? We're talking this year, not last year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
He's the least talented wr2 in the league. I would take any teams second WR off their hands in exchange for him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2h8xex2e said:
Wenhawk":2h8xex2e said:

Not much, in fact Kearse reminds me a little of Obomanu. Sometimes you see a dash of greatness, but more often than not the he's league average or worse.

Good comparison.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3k8fkcet said:
Explain please the tiers of tenders????

RFA status includes two perks. The original team has the right of first refusal, meaning they have the option to match any contracts that the player signed. Second, their qualifying offer to the RFA (tender) includes draft compensation from other teams should they choose not to match any contracts.

Tender amounts
1. $2.879 million, first round compensation from the team that signs the player.
2. $2.023 million, second round compensation from the team that signs the player.
3. $1.323 million, variable (same round as the player was drafted) from the team that signs the player.

Wikipedia":3k8fkcet said:
Each player that signs a tender receives the one-year salary that corresponds to the tender level. Teams which choose not to match an offer on a player with a low tender receive a draft pick corresponding to the round in which the player was originally drafted (except that the highest pick that can be surrendered for such a tender is a second-round pick).

For example, a player who was originally drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft would force the team signing him to give his former team a sixth-round pick in the upcoming draft as compensation for his service. No compensation is required for an undrafted player on the lowest tender amount, so teams with valued undrafted RFAs are taking a notable risk by offering such tenders. (The top tender prior to 2011 required first- and third-round picks as compensation.)