My favorite play of the Santa Clara game

Scottemojo

Reaction score
10:18, 2nd quarter.

San Fran has a running play with a fullback and Vernon Davis. The center and guard double Williams, the RT tries to cut Bennett and is pretty half assed about it, giving Bennett easy penetration into the backfield. Which seems like a good thing, but it's actually the play design, Iupati us pulling from the left with one intent, put his helmet in Bennett's ear hole.

In candlestick we had this wham block applied to us every game for the last few years, and it often got us. Alan Branch got smoked a couple of times two years back on this play, later Gore ran wild up the middle. Think of this run play as a heavy weight putting some body shots into a guy in the early rounds.

Except Bennett was ready. He just barely arrests his own forward momentum, making Uipati's helmet just miss his own, then he uses his right arm to throw Iupati past him, using Iupati's own momentum to throw him face down into the turf. He plants a 330 pound man with some straight up martial arts shit. Loss of one.

That game was a physical ass kicking, and plays like that might get ignored. The message was sent early to a once great O-line that we were more physical.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Just went back and watched. I didn't notice that the first time. Glad it wasn't an angle only viewable from All 22. Bennett is just a bona fide badass! Quickness, balance, power and now savvy all packed into a lean, mean 275-280 lbs. Iupati could only get up and watch the TFL, LMAO! Bennett has to be on of the most complete and versatile players on the team. He leads the DL in solo tackles, assists and is tied with Avril for sacks... Add to that his ability to line up and create havoc from either inside or outside as well as his non-stop motor. Don't know how well we would have absorbed the loss of Clemmons, Bryant and McDonald without him.

seedhawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3s8l5t9b said:
Just went back and watched. I didn't notice that the first time. Glad it wasn't an angle only viewable from All 22. Bennett is just a bona fide badass! Quickness, balance, power and now savvy all packed into a lean, mean 275-280 lbs. Iupati could only get up and watch the TFL, LMAO! Bennett has to be on of the most complete and versatile players on the team. He leads the DL in solo tackles, assists and is tied with Avril for sacks... Add to that his ability to line up and create havoc from either inside or outside as well as his non-stop motor. Don't know how well we would have absorbed the loss of Clemmons, Bryant and McDonald without him.

Perhaps we knew if we locked up Bennett those others were expendable.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Unnoticed by us average fans, but I'm sure that one's getting one of those reactions where the other D players all jump out of their seats with uhhhs and ohhhs and hi-fives in the film room this week...

ManBunts

Reaction score
If we can apply this type of pressure and run shut down to the Eagles, I think we will mop the field with them. Bennett was great, as was Avril, but I was also pleasantly surprised by some guys stepping up, like Dobbs, and really getting into the backfield.

Now that our D has some swagger back, I would LOVE to see Marsh be a part of this. I think he has that fire in him to mesh very well. Had high hopes for him prior to the broken foot. Anyone know if there's a chance of getting him for the playoffs?