Will tempo be a problem?

jake206

Reaction score
With the amount of sub packages and rotations, Seahawks utilize on defense. Anyone think its going to be problem against the Eagles?

Here's some Eagles thoughts on Seahawks defense:

<article snippets>

"They shouldn’t have a problem getting lined up," said Jason Kelce. "They do the same thing over and over and over again. And they have tons of reps at it. They’ll do other stuff too, but they’re very dominant in terms of they like to do one thing and do it really, really well."

Added Maragos: "It’s probably an advantage for them because they just play what they play. They just have really good players and they execute and they’re disciplined, and that’s why they have such a good defense. Guys play well, and they play with each other."

Asked specifically if the simplicity of Seattle's scheme helps against tempo, Sherman smiled and said: "You might be onto something."

Kelly, however, disagreed.

"No, I don't think that has to do with it," he said. "I just think they are really good at what they do. We have played some teams that play the same coverages over and over again, and there are guys running free all the way down the field. I don't think that happens against Seattle because of the talent they have and how smart they are in terms of what they are doing scheme‑wise. We have played some teams that haven’t been very diverse on the defensive side of the ball, yet we have affected them. Usually it depends on the talent level on the defensive side of the ball, and the talent level on their side is very high."

"They know what they’re good at," said Mark Sanchez. "Not only are they good in their scheme and know their scheme well, but then they have good players on top of it, so similar to the case here. We know what we’re good at. We have pretty good players at our positions, and we like to just get ‘em in a good spot and give ‘em a chance to make plays. So hopefully we can do that."

-from phillymag.com

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hawks will pound the rock, all fricken day. Keeping their Offense on the sidelines, and by the middle of the 4th quarter, they are gonna' be toast.

sutz

Reaction score
The only thing I think might matter is the D-line rotation. We like to keep them fresh by swapping them out a lot. The back 7 pretty much play all downs, and even when we go nickle or dime, it's only one or two guys changing. We've done pretty well against the up-tempo teams IMHO. Look at SB48. Manning doesn't use a run and shoot or anything, but he loves to get his guys up to the line quickly and make his line calls, fakes, and audibles.

I doubt we'll have that much of a problem. We're well rested, it's not a 10am game. I don't see the typical slow start we used to have on East Coast outings. I think our guys are ready to go out and take control of the conference.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sutz":9xi97w4n said:
The only thing I think might matter is the D-line rotation. We like to keep them fresh by swapping them out a lot. The back 7 pretty much play all downs, and even when we go nickle or dime, it's only one or two guys changing. We've done pretty well against the up-tempo teams IMHO. Look at SB48. Manning doesn't use a run and shoot or anything, but he loves to get his guys up to the line quickly and make his line calls, fakes, and audibles.

I doubt we'll have that much of a problem. We're well rested, it's not a 10am game. I don't see the typical slow start we used to have on East Coast outings. I think our guys are ready to go out and take control of the conference.

True but we won't have to worry about the d line if we get quite a few "3 and outs", which I think is highly probable.

sutz

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3d4jcloh said:
sutz":3d4jcloh said:

True but we won't have to worry about the d line if we get quite a few "3 and outs", which I think is highly probable.
That's the thing, though. Mostly people think you build the D from the line back. I think we've seen a successful implementation of building from the DBs forward. The LoB should be able to neutralize most of their quick passing game, I hope.

Plus, Philly isn't really noted for a lot of long time consuming drives, are they?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Tempo of the Eagles "o" was my main concern.
Some of our more savvy members have convinced me, it won't be an issue.
Please stop before I change my mind again.
:{)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
3 and outs play right into our hands and Philadelphia does them a lot. Basically watch what San Francisco did but erase the once in a lifetime special teams plays that made the game LOOK close and remember we're far better then San Francisco.

It's just a bad matchup for Philadelphia much the same as Green Bay is. Philadelphia can't run especially with Kam and Wags at full speed and their whole offense is predicated off the run.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Philly's uptempo has an effect on everyone. Even the best teams and players. Only group I think it will affect is our DLine.

I have no problem with the Eagles going uptempo on us. A few 3 and outs for the Eagles and we could dominate the time of possession. Seahawks rank 7th this year in time of possession, the eagles rank 29th.

I personally think the uptempo offense works into our hands. Our defense will be rested for it, and we will tire out the Eagles offense with Lynch and the short passing game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pete doesn't seem too concerned about it, almost downplayed it. The only thing that concerns me is that it's different from any offense we've ever faced in terms of the hurry-up. We're going to have to be very alert as to when we substitute and get the right defense called the first time. We can't have any confusion out there and mess up on a coverage or something. The hurry up relies on confusing the defense as much as it does physically wearing them down.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
From a matchup standpoint I'm comforted by the fact that Philadelphia lost to both San Francisco and Arizona already. Obviously not in a transitive property sense, but just in a sense that stylistically SF and Arizona play a very similar game to us and it clearly wasn't one that this Chip Kelly scheme eats alive.

RiverDog

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2xsdw39y said:
From a matchup standpoint I'm comforted by the fact that Philadelphia lost to both San Francisco and Arizona already. Obviously not in a transitive property sense, but just in a sense that stylistically SF and Arizona play a very similar game to us and it clearly wasn't one that this Chip Kelly scheme eats alive.

Good point. That's something I never thought of.

marko358

Reaction score
I think of all the vaunted offenses we've played in the last year or so (Denver, Green Bay, New Orleans) and feel comforted that we've won quite easily in all of those games.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
This game will be won on 3rd down. All other sub stats are meaningless.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1vtmicpl said:
This game will be won on 3rd down. All other sub stats are meaningless.

Maybe this is true, though it's basically a statement that the game will largely be determined by who variance is kinder to.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3st9j52r said:
My hope is that Carroll & Co. do what Stanford used to do to Oregon.

:13:

Uptempo can be a blessing and a curse . . . a quick three and out means their defense gets little to no rest. It may work against defenses that are not as fine tuned as the Seahawks, but uptempo will hurt them against this team.

Carroll's No. 1 guiding principle outside of competition is "it's all about the ball," including limiting turnovers and playing ball control offense. Keeping the ball for as long as possible aids your defense. In that way, Chip Kelly's uptempo kind of makes him the anti-Carroll. Their personalities also could not be more different with Kelly more reserved and analytical and Carroll more energetic and freewheeling. The one thing they do have in common is team speed; I would even give the edge to the Eagles in that category. It's going to be a joy to watch these coaching styles clash on Sunday.