Please Pete, Fix our OL Next Year

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm watching the Thursday Night Cowboys vs Bears debacle and it makes me angry to see that wall of protection Romo has on nearly each and every play. It's a WALL. He has all the time he needs to sit back, comfortably survey his options, and throw. You see this often around the league with the top passers in the NFL. Well no wonder they are averaging over 300 yards passing, and from the pocket. They have PROTECTION.

The day Russell Wilson is afforded the same luxury will be a very fine day indeed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Very talented O-line the cowgirls have AND they get away with a TON of holding.

.....and yes Seattle needs to draft good O-lineman in the next draft, a must! Russ wouldn't lose a game with the *allas O-line.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Brings up an interesting thought.
#3 RW is great at making things happen on the run/scramble, and a lot of what we do is based off that.

Do y'all think that if he had a protected pocket more often that he would be as successful?

I think he is winner and will be good either way but I do have concern that he might struggle if he is expected to stay in the pocket.

I almost feel silly for asking that question but it seems to me that his height might become an issue, where it hasn't been.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
A stud WR or TE that can separate and catch wouldnt hurt either. Romo has all of the above.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Aros":22lhio2u said:
I'm watching the Thursday Night Cowboys vs Bears debacle and it makes me angry to see that wall of protection Romo has on nearly each and every play. It's a WALL. He has all the time he needs to sit back, comfortably survey his options, and throw. You see this often around the league with the top passers in the NFL. Well no wonder they are averaging over 300 yards passing, and from the pocket. They have PROTECTION.

The day Russell Wilson is afforded the same luxury will be a very fine day indeed.

So all we need to do is miss the playoffs for 4 straight seasons and spend our 1st rounder on an O-lineman every single draft. Sounds like a great idea.

Using Dallas as a model for anything is a terrible idea.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tis the season for asking Santa these things.....Hmmmm.......

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wonder if our pass pro will ever be super stellar considering our commitment to ZBS and our fondness of nimble athletes at OL to run it. I'm sure, however, you could run any system if you had dudes as talented as Dallas has on their line.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":28jl44vw said:
Aros":28jl44vw said:

I approve this message. But realistically Wilson just needs an OL that is average at pass blocking. He's mobile so his OL is better served to be the same. Personally I'd just pay Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant and not focus 4 years on an OL Wilson doesn't actually need.

As it is Moeki or any TE or RB with half a clue about catching a ball in the flats after everybody is fooled by a RO or typical off schedule scramble works about as well 85-90% of the time anyway.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mw7aumf said:
MizzouHawkGal":3mw7aumf said:
Aros":3mw7aumf said:

I approve this message. But realistically Wilson just needs an OL that is average at pass blocking. He's mobile so his OL is better served to be the same. Personally I'd just pay Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant and not focus 4 years on an OL Wilson doesn't actually need.

As it is Moeki or any TE or RB with half a clue about catching a ball in the flats after everybody is fooled by a RO or typical off schedule scramble works about as well 85-90% of the time anyway.
The Hawks Line is average at pass blocking.

Prove it isn't. I dare you. Double Dog.

evergreen

Reaction score
Even with our line that we have,it's what we don't have. The Harvin void doesn't help. We don't have Harvin, Tate, Rice, a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, or a 7th round pick. No wonder it's hard to score in the redzone! It is what it is, but that sure helped the rest of the NFL catch up real fast.

Cartire

Reaction score
An offensive line like Dallas and Bevell is never even an issue here. Look into your heart. You know this to be true.

#TeamSarlaccUnite

olyfan63

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21quxsoi said:
MizzouHawkGal":21quxsoi said:

MizzouHawkGal For The Win!

Of all things, the Philadelphia Eagles site has a really nice breakdown of our offensive approach.
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... 9651994787

Exactly what you said about Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant vs wasting expensive OL Wilson wouldn't benefit from. Or trade up and score a Kelvin Benjamin/Odell Beckham Jr./Julio Jones in the draft.

I'm off the "Fire Cable" and "Fire the whole damn OL" bandwagon. A lot of what we see is by design, to take advantage of the strengths of our QB, and part of Pete and John's Moneyball calculation. Pete prefers to spend on elite defenders first, and has shown he'll spend big on #1 WR's too; Pete just has had $h1t for luck on the WR front.

I think it was ScotteMojo that had a great breakdown of the AZ Cardinal's 7 sacks on Wilson in a *Cardinals Loss*. After reviewing that breakdown, our OL didn't seem nearly as bad as the numbers indicated; that about 2 were on the OL and the others on Wilson plus play design. Pete's philosophy seems to be that a sack is way, way better than a pick.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'm struggling on what we do with the OL. They've shown some improvement down the stretch and the same thing happened in 2012 (I don't think we've quite reached that level of play yet).

Okung has looked like one of the best tackles in the league over the past few games, and we're not going to get a better starter when healthy; that's the issue though. Michael Roos becomes a free agent next year and he spent a lot of time in Washington (EWU grad), he could potentially be a viable backup option (he'd probably have to take a 'hometown' discount). Or, if we don't trust Big Russ's health enough to hand him a contract in keeping with what other teams could offer, then it would make sense to draft a future LT early and have him sit/be ready if Okung goes down.

He can't afford another injury between now and next season (we'd save $5m by cutting him), we can't afford to gamble on his health and It's a shame because he was a stalwart at Oklahoma State.

Carpenter's a difficult one. I'm expecting him to hit the open market, and I'd be surprised if we could afford to match his best offers. I think he'd need to take a little discount to stay (he does seem to be settled in Seattle now). Bailey doesn't look consistent enough from what I've seen, but he's been thrown in the deep end a couple of times and he's been no worse than Carp of years gone-by.

Of course, there's also the (decent) argument that says we invested a lot of time and stock into Carp and this year it's finally paid dividends. If we can afford it, it's worth paying a guy who knows our system and is finally playing well in it.

Max Unger's health can also not be relied on, but Lem's one of the better backups in the league. I'm not sure this position needs addressing, though if the right guy falls to us in the draft then don't be surprised if we take them (nothing should surprise us).

Sweezy's forever improving and is already an above average starting RG, I'd expect us to try and extend him next season before he hits free agency as an elite RG in 2016.

Britt's young and is making some rookie errors (duh), but he should continue to show improvement. For all Pete preaches, there's no competition at RT right now. I really wouldn't mind us investing in a swing tackle type to really light a fire up his ass. Drafting that early tackle who could initially back up both would be great. You can never have too much quality depth at OL, and we desperately lack it. It's a real shame we never saw what Garrett Scott could do.

In summation, our OL is probably above average when healthy, and we've got a couple of young guys who should continue to improve. With that said, up until recently (with the addition of Lem) our depth has sucked, and with perennially gimpy starters that's a recipe for disaster.

Wilson's going to be our big investment next year, and we literally can't afford not to protect that investment. We should probably anticipate Beast's departure too (plan for the worst), which would put more emphasis on our passing game. We'll have eleven picks in spring, I'd be surprised if we didn't spend three of those on O-linemen.

sutz

Reaction score
Maybe, in our scheme, good guards are more important than good tackles. Has anybody considered that? After all, we run a lot of slant runs and sweeps where the guards and center have to pull, which requires more nimble guys with good feet that also tend to be smaller overall, moreso than big guys who can pass block. The ZBS relies heavily on mobility, right?

We remain committed to the run game, so perhaps interior linemen are more important than the outside guys.

I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but I'm the kind of guy that thinks we should draft 1-2 O-linemen every year...not first rounders, necessarily, but somewhere in the draft you keep adding guys to the procession.

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":1pt2lo0d said:
Good post, Mark.

Hahahahaa. I got it.

Dallas line hasn't been that good after they played us. Did you see them on Thanksgiving?

They were also atrocious vs. SF.

BTW, our line looks a lot like last years line and what was the result?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3oh7ctew said:

It's not all on the pass protection. The "top passers" take more chances than Russell is shown to take. Its a huge reason they throw for 300 yard games for the win on some days, and 300 yard games for the loss on others. Until Wilson feels comfortable making these types of throws below, whether it's the receivers or him, he'll keep playing it safe, protect the ball, and rack up 200 "safe" yards in the air and 50+ yards on the ground.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/540788582105878529[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/540788685008928769[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Anyone else get the feeling that as long as we have Cable, our Oline (no matter who we bring in) will always be great at run blocking but not so much on the pass blocking?