Seattle Seahawks's future

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Does Seattle's future take a hit if next year's draft isn't completely nailed?

Now, they have the LOB intact for a few more years, Russell Wilson is extended most likely, Lynch may or may not be on the team next year(I assume that he will play), Wagner needs a contract, pretty much the entire team value goes up with new contracts soon. And probably none of them will take a hometown discount, whatever that may possibly mean.

Pete's strength last year was that he had a lot of depth thanks to the draft and their guys who are signed to rookie contracts. Seems with all the injuries they've had(Wagner, Chancellor, etc), they really need to get this draft nailed, because the last two years haven't really panned out for them, I mean, KPL was doing great until he had to go to the IR, but other than that not really many players stand out.

I still have a love for Michael. If he can work on his vision and ball control skills, I still think he can be one of the top RB's in the league in 4-5 years. Remember, it took Marshawn Lynch a few years of the draft + a trade to realize his potential. Problem with Michael, is that he wasn't drafted to be a starter, like Lynch was in Buffalo. He has only backup snaps and even then that's not enough to project him currently. We'll never be able to fully realize Michael until Lynch has left the team. Hopefully JS doesn't give up on him while Lynch is playing, it's just a fact that Michael will never be as popular as Lynch is, and if people expect Michael to put up Lynch numbers, well, you'll be highly disappointed.

I don't understand why this board is down on Paul Richardson. I've read the other thread on him and yes, he's not great. He has had problems as a WR. But he's just a rookie. It takes time to learn the WR position and with Baldwin and Kearse running the show, Richardson won't get many snaps. The few snaps Richardson has had he has not looked great. But then again, why should a few snaps say the most about him? We will never be able to judge him until he gets starting WR snaps and plays 75%-80% of many games.

Anyway, If next year's draft isn't nailed, I don't think the future will be hit as long as the LOB and Wilson remain a part of the team, but JS has to hit on the majority of players, and I'm confident that he will.

Thoughts?

Chawks1

Reaction score
Seahawks are good for years to come. JS has enough $$$ to sign everyone. Extensions are very cheap and that's what RW and Bobby will be getting next year. Everything else will fall into place.

Next years needs; #1 pick in the draft take RB Gurley as perfect replacement for Lynch when he does hang it up. Gives Gurley a year to recover from his knee injury. Go get DT help in FA. Draft a backup SS for Kam, big drop off when he is out. Sign Avril, Okung, Moeki, Carpenter, and Maxwell. Choose between keeping KJ Wright or Malcolm Smith. Don't need both as KPL will be ready to step in next year.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
With Arizona and their aging stars along with San Francisco and their aging stars this division is all us for years to come. Oh, St Louis, they still don't have a quarterback. We good bro.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I think you underestimate the value of the second and third year players on our roster who are not currently starters.

There's a whole pile of them who are injured. There's another whole pile of them that play special teams and that's it.

garrylt4

Reaction score
Linemen both sides of the ball. CM is a good starting rb if given the chance. I'm not saying he's Lynch or Barry Sanders but he is good enough. Control the line of scrimmage and we will protect Wilson, run the ball, put pressure on the Qb and with the LOB make it almost impossible to pass in a league that most teams set their entire game plan around their passing game.

evergreen

Reaction score
I'd like to see a playmaker at WR. RW needs someone he can give jump balls too. Az and SF are both old and lets pray St. Louis doen't draft a QB.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I say no. It would be nice to hit the jackpot but I don't think it's a must.

I really don't think the FO goes out looking for immediate impact players anyway.

It's such a gamble, we've all seen it happen. Look at Clowney @ Texans, etc etc.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Drafts can be hit and miss so it's difficult to say. I don't think the Seahawks have had a terrible draft in PC/JS era. Some may have been about average but it's not terrible. My concern is coaching future. Pete Carroll is 63 years old. He looks youthful for his age but how many more years will he coach? Who would be his successor when he decides to retire from coaching - someone already on the staff, like Bevell, Cable, or Quinn? I hope of those three it's not Bevell who takes over. Rumors are out that Lynch is considering retiring after this year, do you think Pete may consider the same if the Seahawks win another Superbowl?

trharder

Reaction score
I know there are a certain set of football fans who just love "the draft". I am not one of them.
With the Seahawks, we have a bit of a conundrum. One one hand, PC and JS gutted this team and started over when they came to power and three years later we won the super bowl. You just can't argue with that.
On the other hand, we have drafted more than our share of head scratchers. For instance, we perpetually seem to have a below average O-line, yet JS doesn't seem to put any priority on the O-line in the draft. Last year our best WR was arguably Golden Tate. We draft two WRs in last years draft, neither of which have made a meaningful contribution this year. I would say that was a failing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Chawks1":z5g0v4w2 said:
Seahawks are good for years to come. JS has enough $$$ to sign everyone. Extensions are very cheap and that's what RW and Bobby will be getting next year. Everything else will fall into place.

Next years needs; #1 pick in the draft take RB Gurley as perfect replacement for Lynch when he does hang it up. Gives Gurley a year to recover from his knee injury. Go get DT help in FA. Draft a backup SS for Kam, big drop off when he is out. Sign Avril, Okung, Moeki, Carpenter, and Maxwell. Choose between keeping KJ Wright or Malcolm Smith. Don't need both as KPL will be ready to step in next year.
Re-reading this and still looking for a tall WR as a red zone target on your list. If one wasn't too expensive though, I'd prefer that via FA because of the typical learning curve for WRs (though that seems to not be the case this year so maybe........).

AgentDib

Reaction score
We do need to nail a draft but it could also end up retroactively being one of our last two, however iffy they look at the moment. Lots of low floor/high ceiling picks the last two seasons and it's too early to close the book on most of them.