Maxwell in the slot

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Maxwell has been switched from outside corner for much of his playing time since his return, replaced by Tharold Simon. He's now playing a lot of slot corner and doing terrific, covering short crossers and cutting off slot receivers with aplomb. Absolutely no dropoff with this position switch, either at his old spot or new.

Scary as this is...the Legion of Boom might only now be hitting their ceiling.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3tq93nrz said:
Maxwell has been switched from outside corner for much of his playing time since his return, replaced by Tharold Simon. He's now playing a lot of slot corner and doing terrific, covering short crossers and cutting off slot receivers with aplomb. Absolutely no dropoff with this position switch, either at his old spot or new.

Scary as this is...the Legion of Boom might only now be hitting their ceiling.

Maxwell is a boss

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Tharold Simon hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Thus the LOB hasn't hit the ceiling yet.

Love it.

- bsd

lsheldon

Reaction score
Simon has a dislocated finger from today. Will he sit out injured or wrap that sucker up and play through the pain? I say he plays till it falls off.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it makes sense to play a bigger CB in the slot vs. SF (all possession receivers) and Philly. The Eagles use 6'3" Jordan Matthews out of the slot; he's not really a burner. Match-up is favorable to Seattle there.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He was embarrassing the early part of this season. He's obviously not an outside guy, but he looks at home in the nickel/slot.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
lsheldon":1wp2irv7 said:
Simon has a dislocated finger from today. Will he sit out injured or wrap that sucker up and play through the pain? I say he plays till it falls off.

Cut it off!!!

j/k

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I love this defensive backfield we have now. Maxi at the Nickel is where is excellent. Simon is just hitting the tip of the iceberg of his potential on the outside. The LOB is better than ever

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
lsheldon":1fagcs8s said:

I say sit him this week. We're about to face off against the worst offense in the NFL.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32qtcuzd said:
I think it makes sense to play a bigger CB in the slot vs. SF (all possession receivers) and Philly. The Eagles use 6'3" Jordan Matthews out of the slot; he's not really a burner. Match-up is favorable to Seattle there.

Err, I don't get what you're saying, as Simon is bigger than Maxwell.

Funny, my impressions were that Maxwell was an above average slot CB, but played better outside.

Simon, IMO, has payed better in the slot than Maxwell ever did, plus he's almost as good (if not as good) already as Maxwell outside. Sherman wasn't lying when he said Simon is a better CB at this point of his career than Sherm was.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":3kldx5mt said:
DavidSeven":3kldx5mt said:

Err, I don't get what you're saying, as Simon is bigger than Maxwell.

Funny, my impressions were that Maxwell was an above average slot CB, but played better outside.

Simon, IMO, has payed better in the slot than Maxwell ever did, plus he's almost as good (if not as good) already as Maxwell outside. Sherman wasn't lying when he said Simon is a better CB at this point of his career than Sherm was.

I mean "bigger" as in bigger than Burley or a traditional nickel corner. Maxwell/Simon, whatever. The match-up against SF and Philly is favorable for us to put either "big" corner in the slot.

Not sure we'd do the same versus Welker, Cobb, etc. Lane/Burley may be a better match-up there.

2nd year in the league, Sherman was a 1st-team All-Pro. Even in his rookie season, he was beast. That was a nice compliment he paid to Simon and I like his potential, but that was all puffery, man.