"Green Eighty. Blue Eighteen..."

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
What does that mean?

Russell says those things all the time at the line. It's like our version of "Omaha!"

Calling all X's and O's members. What does that stuff mean?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I hope someone can elucidate, but I always assumed they were based on Seahawks colors and Largent's number. However, that falls apart at eighteen, unless it's such a sign of respect for Sidney Rice that Wilson is using his tag in the cadence.

mort

Reaction score
Loose lips sink ships Omaha. I'm okay not knowing.

Cartire

Reaction score
I dont know the origin of what he says, but they mean absolutely nothing unless a signal is given ahead of time. Sometimes they can be a quick audible, but most the time, its just part of the cadence.

Similar to Omaha, Green 80, hurry hurry, ect.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
It could mean absolutely nothing, or it could be a "check with me" play.

I remember my high school team did something similar. We would call "check with me trap" where the QB would start the cadence with "Red 22" or "Red 23." Even numbers would go to the right and odd to the left. It could be a more complex version of that, or it could be a total dumbie call. We would also go on "set", "first sound", "first color" and "second color" sometimes. My guess is that the color and number don't actually mean anything and that this is just part of the regular cadence.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Green Eighty means about the same thing as a base-coach wiping his hand across his chest as part of a signal to a baserunner.

It's part of a larger code. It (probably) doesn't mean anything alone, because it depends on the context, or what was said before or after, or what down it is.

Omaha, green 80,etc, are specifically used because they enunciate well, and can be yelled in a number of ways. Omahaaaa vs Omaha, etc...

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Russell calls a play in the huddle and then there is an alternate play/plays or route/blocking scheme that goes with that play. Green 80 means either keep original play or switch to alternative play. I know this to be absolutely fact.

Omaha works exactly the same way...

The defense knows this as well but it can be confusing because both plays are out of the same exact set. This is not the same as an audible, necessarily.

For example , if Wilson and Lynch lineup in the read option after calling run, he yells green 80 and the WRs know to run their route instead of run blocking and the oline knows to switch from run blocking to pass blocking.. This can happen instantly, basically a split second before the snap.

When you're on the road in a load environment this advantage is all but gone. Watch manning during a road game. You won't hear him say Omaha as much. Watch the AFC Championship and the Super Bowl and you'll see what I mean.

A

Anonymous

This. /\

One thing to not forget, is there is a certain amount of homage paid to the sanctity of the historic cadence barked by the NFL quarterback. A portion of it speaks to alignments, and another to adjustments, with a final bit to lock the o-line into the "set" before the snap, but without the QB cadence it's just not football, IMO, and many QB's have fun with it.

The interesting thing I have noticed, is that a variety of teams use "Green 80!", not just the Seahawks, same holds true with "Omaha!". The "Blue 18" is just the latest wrinkle. It's just the latest and greatest way to say what has always been said.

My favorite cadences came from guys like Elway and Dan Fouts, but nothing beats Boomer Esiason calling-out Sam Wyche's "Bengal Terminology" at the line in the 80's. They didn't use a contemporary cadence because they ran a no-huddle. They simply coded the plays and called them out loud from a handful of sets that Boomer would yell out initially. Once everyone was located, he would call the play and either check out or run it depending on the defense he saw.

For example: "28 Baker Bruce" meant a play-action pass to the #8 receiver, running his #2 route, with the tailback blocking the strong safety. "Baker" was the play action call and "A" sound indicated the side/direction, "Bruce" is the "Boss" which meant Back On Strong Safety. Each player new ahead of time what the routes and assignments were, so if they didn't hear their number called, they would block/run-routes according to the last two or three words of the call. It was cool, until defenses eventually figured it all out.

Today, it's more about blocking assignments than anything else, as most of the pre-snap chatter involves who blocks who in the ZBS, and that all starts with who is the MLB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":19qvmpkb said:
This. /\

One thing to not forget, is there is a certain amount of homage paid to the sanctity of the historic cadence barked by the NFL quarterback. A portion of it speaks to alignments, and another to adjustments, with a final bit to lock the o-line into the "set" before the snap, but without the QB cadence it's just not football, IMO, and many QB's have fun with it.

The interesting thing I have noticed, is that a variety of teams use "Green 80!", not just the Seahawks, same holds true with "Omaha!". The "Blue 18" is just the latest wrinkle. It's just the latest and greatest way to say what has always been said.

My favorite cadences came from guys like Elway and Dan Fouts, but nothing beats Boomer Esiason calling-out Sam Wyche's "Bengal Terminology" at the line in the 80's. They didn't use a contemporary cadence because they ran a no-huddle. They simply coded the plays and called them out loud from a handful of sets that Boomer would yell out initially. Once everyone was located, he would call the play and either check out or run it depending on the defense he saw.

For example: "28 Baker Bruce" meant a play-action pass to the #8 receiver, running his #2 route, with the tailback blocking the strong safety. "Baker" was the play action call and "A" sound indicated the side/direction, "Bruce" is the "Boss" which meant Back On Strong Safety. Each player new ahead of time what the routes and assignments were, so if they didn't hear their number called, they would block/run-routes according to the last two or three words of the call. It was cool, until defenses eventually figured it all out.

Today, it's more about blocking assignments than anything else, as most of the pre-snap chatter involves who blocks who in the ZBS, and that all starts with who is the MLB.

Three syllables. Most of these pre snap codes are, so they can't be mistaken for anything else.

Sometimes it means something, sometime it means nothing. Might mean kill kill kill, might mean let it roll. Depends on what the offense decided before the play, series, or game.

Has anyone noticed that the Niners just say hurry hurry hurry or kill kill kill?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1vieoidt said:
Has anyone noticed that the Niners just say hurry hurry hurry or kill kill kill?
That probably has to do more with Kaepernick's limited vocabulary than anything else.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
What everyone else said.............
I used "BLUE, 19" when I was a QB in junior high. Meant nothing.
I think I hear Kap say the same one, Red something. But if there is no indicator, means zilch.
My HS baseball team used addition and subtraction. One sign was a +, and one was a -.
So if they figured out what 5 meant, we could always change it up with 3+2=....... 5.
7-2=5
Tons of ways to get to 5 as the result. Pretty tough to steal our signs.